Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:54 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
NO - people do not have to agree with you or "play along" - people have their own opinions. Is it possible that all you are doing is complaining?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:10 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
I don’t consider it a way of undermining, just adding their opinion of their experiences.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

I cannot STAND when people do that. I deal with them by putting them on the restricted list so they only see my public posts, which are usually cute animal things shared from other pages--nothing anyone could have a contrary or smug opinion about.

I do feel there is some kind of deep psychological need in people like that. Maybe they are the type who have to put others down or attempt to look "wiser" than others to try to make themselves feel better about themselves. Maybe no one listens to them at home so they say stuff like that to be acknowledged and feel like they count. Nonetheless, "repeat offenders" like them are not privy to my "real" posts because I find their comments to be tedious.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:30 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Perhaps the ranting gets old? And they realize that telling you what you want to hear doesn't serve any good?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:36 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I don't know...I kind of go both ways.

There are certainly people in my life, who I don't always agree with. For instance, one of my friends is just so sure that Bill Gates wants to kill all the children with vaccines. I very much disagree with this thought process. One time, she posted a meme that was factually wrong, and I pointed out the discrepancy, very respectfully.

And she, very respectfully, disagreed with me. And we left it at that. Even though I strongly disagree with her premise...it's HER facebook page, and I'm not going to argue with her about it.

Another example...my cousin is married to a woman, who everything is "My way or the highway". I'm not crazy about her. Not that I hate her or anything...I'm just not crazy about her. But I like my cousin a lot, and I like their daughter a lot...so...even though I disagree with a lot of things about her, I don't argue with her. Again...it's her facebook page. I just don't see the point in driving a wedge into family dynamics, over differences of opinion, and I'm pretty sure I'd come out the loser anyway.

But on the other hand, the amount of misinformation and outright lying is staggering, on Facebook. I just call it Fib Book.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I don’t consider it a way of undermining, just adding their opinion of their experiences.
In other words, making someone else's troubles about them and their experiences.

There is nothing productive or helpful about those comments. It's just talking about themselves with no real value.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

And she, very respectfully, disagreed with me. And we left it at that. Even though I strongly disagree with her premise...it's HER facebook page, and I'm not going to argue with her about it.
I wish more people understood this.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps the ranting gets old? And they realize that telling you what you want to hear doesn't serve any good?
That is what "unfollowing" is for. Or if you are concerned for the person's welfare, writing to them directly-- "I noticed this whatever thing has been bothering you a lot lately. How can I help?"

Old 04-28-2020, 12:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
To me, your Facebook page is like the living room of your house. If you invite me into your house, I'm going to do my best to be respectful in your house.

If you're REALLY an impossible person, in my opinion, I'll quit visiting your house. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships