Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
People still use facebook?
I don't get it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Is this a rhetorical question?

Facebook is lame, but yes, of course people still use it. It started as a college kid thing, but has become the main internet portal for Boomers and Gen X which is, oh, I dunno, about half the internet users in the world.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Only everyone I know... I guess "the cool kids" have moved on to something else!

Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
I feel you as I closed my account a couple of years back. Seeing people's political and social thoughts (that they now blurt out) was aggravating me, and it became to tempting to look if I kept the account on. And I realized it was big visual lie featuring happy pics of couples that really don't get along, people bragging about homes that in reality were draining their finances, everybody is called good looking, ect....

With that said, you do live in NYC, there's alot going on there. Also you may still be at an age and in good health where you can be active. But there are many in the country who live in towns and cities with not much going on by comparison, those with health issues or live far from family that they still like,so Facebook is an outlet for them. And I've learned that woman more than men REALLY like to share what's going on

But for the OP, and anybody, if you post something, then put a disclaimer in it that says "I don't wanna hear opposing opinions". otherwise your post are fair game.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think so, too, in which case that is RUDE.
Does everyone have to agree with you? Maybe your tone, partly in jest, did not come across that way. We all know how things can be misinterpreted without emojis, or LOLs. If someone just put a minor comment like "I've never had that problem", I would take it as no big deal. Either they didn't understand, or they just don't agree. Not everyone has to agree with you on FB....right? There really is no "proper response" to a post, other than condolences if someone died.

In light of what goes on in the world today, this is the smallest problem I've ever heard of. Sort of like a hangnail. If you feel she's a Debbie Downer, just block her.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

I don't argue or call people out on social media UNLESS they post something I know is false, and I've done that maybe 3 times in my life.

I don't like it when people do this, "correcting" me on my own posts, especially if it was just supposed to be something funny. Like hypothetically if I make a sarcastic funny post about quarantine hair and a bad hair month, and someone posts, "At least you have hair. Some cancer patients don't! That's real suffering!"

But it's the nature of social media, and luckily I don't have a lot of friends who do this.
I have a friend that was indirectly venting about her financial situation, she made a post saying how she went to the store, needed so many things but had to put stuff back due to lack of funds or something like that. I really wish I remembered specifics but people were really rude replying to her; implying she was lucky to have money to buy those things because some people don't.

My friend is a very proud woman. Not many people know her financial situation like I do because she confides in me. She regularly goes to food banks for food because she can't afford food. She had her hours cut back then, then actually lost that job.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
If you're putting things out on social media that gets broadcast to your friends and acquaintances then you are, by implicit consent, inviting comments and reactions, which means the good, the bad, the ugly.

Some people will ignore something they disagree with and others will react and respond.

If what you desire are only approbations, then you'll have to limit who sees your rants to those who you know will agree or at least appreciate them.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
I don't undercut my friends. However, I don't have friends who complain a lot and that was done on purpose. They are problem solvers. If I make a suggestion that is not feasible, they let me know. Therefore, we brainstorm some more ideas. They do the same for me. Also, I don't complain on facebook.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I don't undercut my friends. However, I don't have friends who complain a lot and that was done on purpose. They are problem solvers. If I make a suggestion that is not feasible, they let me know. Therefore, we brainstorm some more ideas. They do the same for me. Also, I don't complain on facebook.
There is complaining just to complain, there is complaining to elicit sympathy or help, and there is complaining half in jest; the posts in question fall under the third heading. To respond seriously -- and negatively/critically, besides -- somehow sucks all the air out of the room. If you can't relate or don't want to play, just scroll on by; otherwise, it feels like a "gotcha." JMO.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
There is complaining just to complain, there is complaining to elicit sympathy or help, and there is complaining half in jest; the posts in question fall under the third heading. To respond seriously -- and negatively/critically, besides -- somehow sucks all the air out of the room. If you can't relate or don't want to play, just scroll on by; otherwise, it feels like a "gotcha." JMO.
I am very careful about how I complain and who I complain to, not out of fear, but because making people 'read between the lines' can result in different responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships