Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,545,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, your Facebook page is like the living room of your house. If you invite me into your house, I'm going to do my best to be respectful in your house.

If you're REALLY an impossible person, in my opinion, I'll quit visiting your house. LOL
I cannot rep you again right now, but amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, your Facebook page is like the living room of your house. If you invite me into your house, I'm going to do my best to be respectful in your house.

If you're REALLY an impossible person, in my opinion, I'll quit visiting your house. LOL
I agree.

I don't argue or call people out on social media UNLESS they post something I know is false, and I've done that maybe 3 times in my life.

I don't like it when people do this, "correcting" me on my own posts, especially if it was just supposed to be something funny. Like hypothetically if I make a sarcastic funny post about quarantine hair and a bad hair month, and someone posts, "At least you have hair. Some cancer patients don't! That's real suffering!"

But it's the nature of social media, and luckily I don't have a lot of friends who do this.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:09 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,545,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

I don't argue or call people out on social media UNLESS they post something I know is false, and I've done that maybe 3 times in my life.

I don't like it when people do this, "correcting" me on my own posts, especially if it was just supposed to be something funny. Like hypothetically if I make a sarcastic funny post about quarantine hair and a bad hair month, and someone posts, "At least you have hair. Some cancer patients don't! That's real suffering!"

But it's the nature of social media, and luckily I don't have a lot of friends who do this.

I had--HAD--a friend who did that. She was a "cancer survivor" and no matter what anyone might have been upset or annoyed about, her comments always came back to herself and/or how cancer patients had it worse. Same with her anxiety and her depression. A simple eye-rolling grumble about people overreacting to COVID by buying too much toilet paper resulted in her going on about "as a person with anxiety, in my case..."

I wanted to say, "Well thank you, Invalidator McGee, for making it known that no one else's problems are real compared to yours."

She flounced out over my COVID toilet paper post and all I can think is, "Bye Felicia. Now the rest of us can have a conversation that doesn't end up with us listening to a dissertation on cancer, anxiety, depression, and your latest hangnail."

Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 PM

4,242 posts, read 949,939 times
The only time I feel tempted to take issue with someone's FB post is when what the person has posted I find astoundingly ignorant or mean-spirited. I say "tempted to" because I don't say anything. (Well, I have on a few occasions when it was just flat-out misinformation or in one case racist.) But I definitely unfollow the person if it happens more than once or twice.

I rarely see posts like this. Usually it's more along the lines of people having a playful rant which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Last edited by CarolinaMoon1; 04-28-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 01:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,030 times
I have little patience for people who want to rant continually on facebook (or on the phone or in person). If they can't take a hint I just snooze them.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,091,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.

I think it depends on whose FB page it is - is it yours or hers? Or somebody else's page?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:50 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,928,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
In other words, making someone else's troubles about them and their experiences.

There is nothing productive or helpful about those comments. It's just talking about themselves with no real value.
Well isn’t that what Facebook is?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:50 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,050,910 times
I have a facebook friend (and real life friend) who invites opinions on all kinds of controversial things. I kind of think of him as the "deep end of the pool" friend. You hunger for steak in your Facebook dealings, when everyone else is eating baby food? He's the guy to check out.

He'll post stuff I don't always agree with, and sometimes, he posts stuff I don't like or find distasteful even. But he'll mostly respectfully discuss it with you, if you'll respectfully discuss it with him. I've never had a serious argument with him, although I've disagreed with him on topics (whatever it is). He welcomes back and forth discourse, as long as people are respectful, because he is truly curious about other points of view.

But I think most of us (and I'll include myself) are not looking for argument on Facebook. They don't consider their Facebook to be Debate Club, or Fight Club, and that's OK.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:54 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
Maybe the original poster didn't make the purpose for their post in question obvious enough. That it was in jest, sarcastic, a rant for its own sake. We all know (or should by now) how difficult it can be to detect tone in electronic conversation. Then there is that original poster's "reputation" to consider. People who habitually and publicly whine and whinge about everything can get so tiresome, they end up being sort of a target for reactions. Deflating could be an attempt to shut them up once in a while.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-28-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 04:21 PM

22,033 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

"At least you have hair." Haven't we all gotten that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships