Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 06:39 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Avoid them. And if they ask why, do them the ultimate kindness and tell them why. Tell them how exhausting it is to be around them.

I'm not exactly a former cast member of Up Up With People. I don't view the world through rose-colored glasses. And I have a pretty dark sense of humor. At the same time, good things, good people, and good events are omnipresent in our lives. And the people who refuse to see them aren't simply blind, they are destructive as well.

How? Because they don't only seek to destroy their own happiness. They are destroying the happiness of others. And that's why they need to be avoided at all costs.
Interesting way of handling it (the bolded) and not easy to do, but I can see where it can be a "kindness." They are most likely completely unaware of their affect on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 07:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
If someone is consistently negative then I avoid them online and off. If it’s a situation where I can’t avoid then I redirect the conversation and if that doesn’t work then I will say something.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:33 AM

983 posts, read 609,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
I noticed negative people try to make you agree with them to some how join forces when they dont like something

the more people they can influence the stronger they get, then the whole group has a negative opinion / feeling

I simply stay away, and dont join the conversation, just keep away from them.

reminds me of protesters on the street trying to make you join their cause, even if it's not something positive, they try to force you to support them
Yes, this is so true! Validating their opinions.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:51 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
I don't mind some negative people as long as they respect me and do fun things with me. It depends on the negativeness. Some of it tends to be realistic. Optimistic people scare me more because many I have personally encountered are intentionally fake and manipulative.

If one has a problem with someone, be able to be direct with them 1-1 and give them a chance. If you can't do that at least first, then maybe the one complaining about being around negative/other people may actually be the one who has a problem.

Basically, don't try to avoid it. Find healthy ways to deal with situations and be around other people.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Obviously you choose flight over fight.

Everyone is negative sometimes.

Avoiding negative people is like never going outside of your home or talking to anyone. You can't avoid it so just learn how to graciously bow out instead of running away from everything you don't like.

Negative people might be negative to you only. Sometimes you learn valuable lessons about yourself from interacting with them.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:16 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I was self-employed and chose not to work for negative people, they were drains on energy and ultimately cost money. Socially it is pretty easy to stay away from them but family is not divorce-able, well some are but he's not impossibly negative and is working on more positive attitude.

I have gotten more negative with age, more realistic IMO but do not impose it on others (I think). I will not get involved with someone's problems, some people LOVE to get involved. I dropped a FB friend who kept veering between sobriety and benders, don't need that kinda drama in my life. If it's a relative I'll help but they gotta help themselves more than me.
Lol

Old 03-25-2021, 06:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
When I am talking to them, part of my brain shuts off and I can only say things to end the conversation as quickly as possible. Can anyone relate?
I don't avoid negative people.

It sounds like you are an awfully self-centered person who can't be bothered to talk to anyone unless they cater to you.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:51 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
I noticed negative people try to make you agree with them to some how join forces when they dont like something
These types thrive in the online world. People with crazy ideas about how the world works join up with like-minded people on social media so that they can find/share "evidence" of their crazy to share with others.

As others have noted, it's best to avoid these people. Otherwise they get in your head and drive you crazy even when they're not present.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:01 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
I avoid them. I simply refuse to talk to them. When asked, I do tell them that misery loves company and with you being miserable, I don't want to be.

Back then, people would complain to me about their lives, ask for advice, etc. I'd lend then an ear, talk to them, give advice. But it gets old when they kept on coming back with the same problems and such. I would tell them that they must love to be in the situation where you are because you keep coming back with the same problems. That and that's the only time you call me is when you have a problem. I call you to chat but you don't call me out of the blue, only to vent? No. Keep on a walking.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:06 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
I think I repel them with my cheerfulness. I've always been able to ignore complainers. This, too, will end. Nothing I can do about it. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I just won't let them drag me into their negativity. They just find someone else that will listen to their griping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships