Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,365,166 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this the best place for this request. We have kind of a touchy situation with a neighbor. He has so many 'toys' parked in the driveway, that he can't park his vehicles there and must park them on the street. Usually in front of my house because there is shade. Because DH and DS2 have such different schedules, it is easier for DS2 to park on the street which means he usually has to park down the street.

When he first moved in, he complained about the forsythia branches alongside the house scratching his boat. Well, we couldn't ever get in to prune them because he always had the damn boat in the way (my blood pressure is already rising- I can feel it!). So in the end, we took all the shrubs, which my late husband had bought for me, out and replaced them with slow-growing evergreens.

He got rid of the boat and bought a camping trailer when his daughter was born. Instead of keeping it behind the fence, it was always sticking out in front of house which is a violation of city code. He always claimed that he had 72 hours from Sunday night when they got home to unload it, which would be Wednesday. On Wednesday, he claimed he had 72 hours to load it so they could leave on Friday.

In the meantime, his car would be parked in either in front of my house or in front of his and half the time the street sweepers, for which I am paying tax dollars, would not sweep in front of my house because they couldn't manuver that tight around his vehicle.

I just saw the the leaf removal truck go down the other side of the street, and guess what.....? He has got a vehicle on the street because now he has two, count 'em, 2 freaking trailers in his yard. I am sure he doesn't care if the removal truck comes or not because he has no trees. I do, I am disabled and I don't want to have to go clean up the leaves, and I don't think I should have to ask my husband or my son to do it, since we are paying to have it done.

I have calls in to both the DPS and the code enforcement officer about the situation. I am sure they won't want to get involved unless I file an offical complaint. I am trying to figure out how to stay on good terms with this guy. I don't think he even realizes how he takes advantage of the situation- I know he doesn't do it on purpose, I think he is just that dense! Any constructive suggestions? I have come up with lots of unconstructive ones on my own! lol If not, thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,288,219 times
Whew! I don't think you can do anything about him parking in front of your house but calling about the stuff in his yard may be able to be remedied with the county/city codes.

Have you talked to him about the junk in his yard? In front of your house?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,102,054 times
If he's as clueless as you say he is, you definitely need to spell it out for him. You can be nice about it and do it in a tactful way. It doesn't have to get ugly. But you need to let this guy know that these things are bothering you. If you talk to your other neighbors, do you know how they feel about all his toys and crap? You might have some allies who could go with you and confront this clueless idiot who seems to have more redneck toys than brains.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
crowding for resources. lack of consideration for others. at last success & the good life.
somehow somewhere along the road john wayne became marie antoinette.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,574,984 times
Sounds like the neighbors across the street from my sister's house. They park extra vehicles in front of her house all the time. When she or a family member parks there, they complain, leaving notes on the cars.

You may end up having to take official steps and not be on friendly terms with this neighbor.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,277,092 times
Here's what you do. Find the civic ordinance in question and tape it to his door. Highlight the appropriate passage.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:20 PM

973 posts, read 3,309,763 times
Let the air out of the tires of every vehicle parked in front of your house each night. Technically, you aren't "damaging" them.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,953,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
When he first moved in, he complained about the forsythia branches alongside the house scratching his boat. Well, we couldn't ever get in to prune them because he always had the damn boat in the way (my blood pressure is already rising- I can feel it!). So in the end, we took all the shrubs, which my late husband had bought for me, out and replaced them with slow-growing evergreens.
Usually, if branches are hanging over onto neighbor's property, the neighbor is entitled by law to cut them back. Even if the bush/tree is on your property, you're not necessarily responsible for cutting them back from someone else's property. He could have cut/pruned them himself.

At least that's the law in PA. My mom once really ticked off her neighbor - the neighbor had a huge tree and the branches were really starting to hang over the fence and block the light on the porch. So my mom had the branches cut back to the fence. The neighbor didn't like the way it made the tree look (lopsided and naked) but there was nothing she could do, my mom had every legal right to do it.

As for the more current problem, just explain to him your reasons for not wanting him to park on the street outside your house, he probably just didn't think of it. I guess the tricky part is trying to keep a polite tone of voice. Remember that he asked you do to something for him in the past (pruning the branches) so there shouldn't be anything wrong with you asking something of him now.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:46 PM

638 posts, read 1,921,143 times
There ya go w/the american way.. always have to have more, more and even more. Can't have enough vehicles huh? LOL.

I feel for you and I can tell you when you have people like that that don't care a whit for their neighbors it's time to get nasty and call in the city people to help your case.

Good luck :-)

Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,102,054 times
I disagree. Not everything has to get ugly. First you try talking to the nitwit in a tactful way and try to get him to see the error of his ways. But nicely. Then, you graduate to the next level. Who knows - maybe the guy is really nice and understanding and will do what you ask of him without the need for all these bad feelings. If you **** him off - just be prepared to look over your shoulder all the time and keep your pets indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships