Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
It's not just men, girls/women do the same thing. I had a number of experiences with smaller girls starting with me in high school and college. I'm pretty reserved and not one for confrontation, but these girls all felt the need to start crap with me and they always referenced my height. All I say is that they may have started it, but I finished it. My father (a tall, reserved, non-confrontational person himself) taught me well.
Yes, my wife has had the same types of problems you talk about......it's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
From what I've seen, taller men seem to feel the need to pick on smaller men. If that isn't a "complex", I don't know what is.
I have NEVER witnessed that in my entire life.....I am 6'3" and ALL confrontations I've had with smaller guys were always started by them and I gave them WAY more room before I actually thumped them then I do bigger guys....A big guy has nothing to gain by boxing a small guys ears for him...if you stomp him,you look like a bully,if he gets a good shot in and takes you out,you look like a wimp...they are not worth fooling with.

You seem to live in Bizaro World TK.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Not in my experience. I'm 6'6 and in my teens and early 20's, it was the shorter guys who would try to mess with me and start something.

Being tall isn't always all it's cracked up to be anyway. As a tall person, you automatically "stand out" and I'm not the kind of person who likes to stand out, or be asked if I play basketball.

EDIT: the funny thing is, I've crossed paths with many fellow tall people in my life and I can honestly say that I don't believe any of them would purposely look to start a fight with anyone, never mind someone shorter than them.
This is very true. As a fellow tall person, I've found people target me as a way to prove themselves - especially growing up. Many short people would try to prove their superior masculinity by picking on me or trying to get in fights with me. As mentioned above, it's a lose-lose situation. I win a fight, I'm a bully who was obviously going to win. I lose a fight, I'm a wimp.

Most tall people I know don't really think much about people shorter one way or the other. They tend to be pretty relaxed about things specifically because they have nothing to prove physically and certainly don't look down (except for literally) on others.

So, no, I don't think there is any name for tall people equivalent to the Napoleon complex that plagued my upbringing.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
No one shorter than me has ever gotten violent with me. Always some taller guy who thinks that being short = being "insignificant" and easy prey.
I'm assuming that you are short, given the nature of your postings. Wouldn't the logic of statistics suggest that a majority of people are taller than you, so the odds that a person taller than you is going to be the one engaging with you (even if, in his mind, it has nothing to do with height)?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
In my experience, most people are my height, or within 2 inches of it. But the people who start things with me are MUCH taller. As the above poster pointed out--bullies. That's what I've found taller people to be. People my height don't cause problems with me.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
It seems any short guy with a bad temper has a napoleon complex instead of possibly just being some ahole with a bad temper..Dont get me wrong theirs plenty of short guys with a napoleon complex but sometimes maybe its just a short guy who happens to have a temper or fights allot..

Im only 5'8 but heights never really been a big deal to me or anyone ive come across,im as laid back as u can get..

This site is the only place where it seems to be a huge issue where apparently ive learned form lsitneing to people every short guy is bitter and angry and every Tall man has his pick of women is and never gets angry over anyhting and is always completely at peace with the world

Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Just because a guy stands up for himself, and doesn't let someone treat him as insignificant, does not make him "bitter" or "angry".

Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Not in my experience. I'm 6'6 and in my teens and early 20's, it was the shorter guys who would try to mess with me and start something.

Being tall isn't always all it's cracked up to be anyway. As a tall person, you automatically "stand out" and I'm not the kind of person who likes to stand out, or be asked if I play basketball.

EDIT: the funny thing is, I've crossed paths with many fellow tall people in my life and I can honestly say that I don't believe any of them would purposely look to start a fight with anyone, never mind someone shorter than them.
I can definately relate with this as I am 6'5" It was always the short little turds that would call me names, make fun of me being tall and just be an arse and wouldn't leave it alone. But I would just chickle and think to myself, yeah I rather be TALL than a short little prick like you.

Last edited by ttz; 08-05-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I was wondering, just as when someone is short and arrogant people say that the person has a Napoleon Complex, is there a similar term for people that are tall? You know, the tall men that think they are god's gift to the world, can get any girl they want because they are tall, or the tall women who think they are models and the prettiest thing ever because of their height?

I'm just wondering, because Napoleon Complex is brought up a lot when a short guy is insecure, but is there something for tall people as well?
I'm tall, about 6'3 and don't feel insecure at all. In fact I would say confident is the best term to call how I feel.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
In my experience, most people are my height, or within 2 inches of it. But the people who start things with me are MUCH taller. As the above poster pointed out--bullies. That's what I've found taller people to be. People my height don't cause problems with me.
My son is tall, and the kids who bullied him in grade school were all half his size. It was like a chihuahua calling out a mastiff - just plain lame. And interestingly enough, my little chihuahua used to do the same exact thing on the dog trail - she was always puffing herself up and trying super hard to sound like a menacing bull dog even though most of the neighborhood cats outweighed her. And then the other dog's owner would smile politely, and the other dog would **** its head as if to say, "Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to play with it or just have it for a light snack?" And then I would laugh and say, "I'm afraid she doesn't have a mirror at home, and I'm pretty sure she thinks she's a bigger dog than she actually is."

My point is - bullies come in all shapes and sizes. My son is one of the tallest kids at his school and everyone is always asking why he isn't on the team - he's just a gentle giant. Don't believe that all tall guys are trouble makers - sometimes it's the average or short ones who have something to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships