Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Places like the Walmart you are referring to take a long time, often years, to develop. You have planning, permitting, stormwater concerns, traffic concerns, etc. Just because you see no work going on site doesn't mean nothing's happening.
A Google search for the project Port Terminal Commons reveals nothing other than a website. There are no references to it anywhere on the Daily Reflector. The website makes reference to needing a amendment to the area plan. Greenville is in desperate need of the over 800 jobs it would bring. If Greenville were serious about this project they would be making some progress and you would see press releases both by the city and WRS.

I've seen it take the better part of 20 years for this kind of stuff to come to fruition before. That is not what I'd call growth.

Since I've moved to Greenville in 2006 this is what I can recall seeing built.

30 more drug strores, gas stations, fast food joints and banks
An old mall torn down and replaced by 2 stores, one of which is mostly devoid of customers
2 major retailers fold up and leave large amounts of sq footage sitting empty to this day
A whole bunch of activity around the hospital
One Lowes
An O'Reilly's auto parts store
A threat to build the WITN tv studios on Arlington
A threat to rehab the old shopping center that the DMV is in
A threat to build a Walmart
A threat to build a shopping center on Memorial across from the Home Depot
A whole lot of developers running around starting sub divisions that never even get started beyond them paying David K Hahn money to put pipe in the ground (how many of those have there been? Those signs are everywhere)
A Montessori school in Winterville
A very large student housing complex north of the river
Another one between 43 and County Home Rd.
The new Harris Teeter and related shops at Bells Fork

In 4 years that's not much growth folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

I also posted a bit of a mini editorial on the Daily Reflector about a month ago. The Pitt County Development Commission had just released their employment data for Pitt County and it was a very glowing report. Except for the fact that they used data from 2008 to write it. I pointed out the fact that a few of the larger employers included in their data had left town or significantly reduced their work force. Both my post and the glowing newspaper report were removed.

For this area to really take off they're going to have to get a growth industry to come here. The best opportunity for that to happen went to Kinston. The old days of relying on manufacturing to drive the economy went to China on a slow boat.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,598 times
Quote:
30 more drug strores, gas stations, fast food joints and banks
An old mall torn down and replaced by 2 stores, one of which is mostly devoid of customers
2 major retailers fold up and leave large amounts of sq footage sitting empty to this day
A whole bunch of activity around the hospital
One Lowes
An O'Reilly's auto parts store
A threat to build the WITN tv studios on Arlington
A threat to rehab the old shopping center that the DMV is in
A threat to build a Walmart
A threat to build a shopping center on Memorial across from the Home Depot
A whole lot of developers running around starting sub divisions that never even get started beyond them paying David K Hahn money to put pipe in the ground (how many of those have there been? Those signs are everywhere)
A Montessori school in Winterville
A very large student housing complex north of the river
Another one between 43 and County Home Rd.
The new Harris Teeter and related shops at Bells Fork
go anywhere in the Country right now and you will see tons of developments either stopped or slowed down by the recession we're in. It isn't just Greenville that has slowed down...the population growth is what the poster was talking about, I believe.

Anyway, from what I understand that Port Terminal Commons property is no longer the site for the proposed Walmart. You are referencing old information - I believe there was an article in the Reflector about the new Walmart development's new location.

I moved to this area 9 years ago. It has changed A LOT since then.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,598 times
Apologies to the OP for this thread getting off topic!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Anyway, from what I understand that Port Terminal Commons property is no longer the site for the proposed Walmart. You are referencing old information - I believe there was an article in the Reflector about the new Walmart development's new location.
Apparently WRS doesn't think enough of the project to bother updating their own website.

*WRS Real Estate Investments (http://www.wrsrealestate.com/greenville.html - broken link)

Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Greenville is also no longer on their current projects list...

*WRS Real Estate Investments (http://www.wrsrealestate.com/index.html - broken link)

They went where they were wanted.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM

22 posts, read 58,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
thanks for your post, lovesMountains. i'll look into it for sure, but we weren't planning on being on/too near the coast. even the occassional hurricane would be too much for me! to be about 2-3 hrs' drive from the coast would be fantastic.

i'll look at the links you provided, and thanks!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 15,823 times
Default There they go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Keep dreaming. It'll be a cold day in Hell when Duke feels threatened by the facilies here in the east including PCMH and the East Carolina Heart Institute.

Growth has also come to an almost compete stand still. They can't even get a stinking Walmart built.
Richard Martin trying to put Greenville down! You make it sound like G'ville has no WalMart, when in fact the new one will be our third in Greenville. I personally don't patronize WalMarts, just trying to help you get your facts straight. Your paranoia is amazing.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 15,823 times
Mr Martin, if you dislike Greenville so much, why not move? I will gladly help you pack you duffel bag.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvillencLover View Post
Richard Martin trying to put Greenville down! You make it sound like G'ville has no WalMart, when in fact the new one will be our third in Greenville. I personally don't patronize WalMarts, just trying to help you get your facts straight. Your paranoia is amazing.
Greenville has one old Walmart on Greenville Blvd. Where is the second one? And there will be no new Walmart. Check it out for yourself. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance of Greenville is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina