Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,681 times

Advertisements

I posted something about a week ago but had only one response - a really helpful reply regarding my paraphrasing! I used the term 'partner' to refer to my 'boyfriend, S.O' and called him by his shortened name 'Rob' which apparently means a female!!
So, lets start again.
My S.O and myself are thinking of moving to NC and we were hoping you could give us some ideas as to where would be a good place to move. We would like an area good for families, sociable and with reasonable house prices... (does it exist???)
He is a chef and I'm assistant manager of a hotel.
We are mid to late twenties if this helps!

Thanks!!
Claire and Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Hi, Claire and Rob. Other people can give you a better answer than I can. But my thought is that it might be helpful to know more about what attracts you to North Carolina. By way of analogy, I might say "I'm thinking about moving to the UK. What would be a good area?" You wouldn't know whether I would be more satisfied in rural Scotland or center-city London. NC is widely varied, although there is no Great City here that would satisfy a Londoner looking for the same. Short of that, it seems to me that many of our mid-sized towns might meet your needs, although I would suggest avoiding some of the more economically depressed ones. For example, you might like Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Best of luck with your search.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Short answer: Wherever you are fortunate enough to find jobs that will cover your living expenses is a good place for you.

Narrow it down to where you can find jobs (keeping in mind that health care insurance takes a chunk of change here compared to the UK), then you can get feedback about those areas. You can see what jobs are available in your fields by checking job boards online.

I would think the larger cities and tourist areas are your best bets. But the tourist areas are "hot" only during the tourist season.

"Rob" doesn't mean female. But when people say "partner," they often mean gay/lesbian partners. Otherwise, they just say girlfriend or boyfriend.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 02-16-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 06:37 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Short answer: Wherever you are fortunate enough to find jobs that will cover your living expenses
Yes -- this is a very important consideration -- jobs are not easy to find right now. Worth keeping in mind.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Agree. Wherever you can find jobs that will support you. Also, do make sure you can actually come here without being married to your SO. He's a citizen, IRRC?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireandrob View Post
I posted something about a week ago but had only one response - a really helpful reply regarding my paraphrasing! I used the term 'partner' to refer to my 'boyfriend, S.O' and called him by his shortened name 'Rob' which apparently means a female!!
So, lets start again.
My S.O and myself are thinking of moving to NC and we were hoping you could give us some ideas as to where would be a good place to move. We would like an area good for families, sociable and with reasonable house prices... (does it exist???)
He is a chef and I'm assistant manager of a hotel.
We are mid to late twenties if this helps!

Thanks!!
Claire and Rob

North Carolina has places like these across the state. A little more about your preferences would help to narrow the suggestions.

Number one rule as others point out--MOVE to where you have a job (or if you do not need employment) move to a place you can afford...otherwise WELCOME and choose wisely...there are many great choices.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 8,087 times
We just moved here from Scotland and are staying in the North Hills area till we figure out the lay of the land. Believe it or not, the drivers are worse here than they were in the UK! Be prepared for crazyness! Love everything else so far though.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
I suggest taking some day trips to get a lay of the land. We have everything from beaches to mountains,so you have to figure out what would make you happy. Wilmington is growing; Raleigh is a great place to live; Charlotte is a sprawling bustling city, Asheville has the mountains and lots of tourist spots. We have great restaurants and hotels across the state, so hopefully you will have job opportunities. Things are starting to pick up a little.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallieSkye View Post
We just moved here from Scotland and are staying in the North Hills area till we figure out the lay of the land. Believe it or not, the drivers are worse here than they were in the UK! Be prepared for crazyness! Love everything else so far though.
I have some friends here in the Charlotte area who are all from Scotland. They really like this area, and just officially became US citizens, although they had a hard time ordering a "bread and butter pudding" (is that the right name?) at a local "Scottish" tavern.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallieSkye View Post
Believe it or not, the drivers are worse here than they were in the UK! Be prepared for crazyness! Love everything else so far though.
I think that our worst sin is with "lane discipline" .. i.e., drivers who camp out in the left hand lanes even though they are not passing anyone, requiring other drivers to go around them on the right side. This creates chaos.

I remember the first time that I drove in the UK. I was driving out of London on my way to York. I think that it was on the M1. There was nobody in the right lane, but I was driving in the center lane, American style (i.e., there was nobody in the right lane but I decided to hog one of the passing lanes anyway ), when a guy came up behind me and started flashing his lights. I pulled over to the right lane and he went by . . . .helping to enforce my lane discipline. . . . .slow traffic keep right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina