Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 16,123 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and will therefore shortly introduce myself first. I am Belgian and married to an American who is orginally from Frederick, Maryland. We have two children and we have never lived together as a family in the States before.

We would like to move to NC in the next few months as it is relatively close to family (most family in VA or DC area) and we want to live in a warmer climate. So NC seems like the perfect place for us.

We are looking to move to a place where it is good for children; our girls are 2 and 4, but we also want a hip spot where there is things to do.

Any suggestions or ideas which regions to look at?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
when you say you want it to be warmer...
do you mean during winter or during summer?
---

If your concern is being warm in the winter you should probably look considerably south of NC.
At best... you'll only have less snow with that same precipitation replaced by ice.

hth

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 AM

I don't really mind the winters being colder, as long as we have a long summer. We used to live in Barcelona, Spain, and the climate in NC is similar to there, which we loved.
THanks!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis about to move View Post
I don't really mind the winters being colder, as long as we have a long summer. We used to live in Barcelona, Spain, and the climate in NC is similar to there, which we loved.
THanks!
If this is accurate: Typical Climate and Weather in Barcelona, then add NC has a much longer, hotter summer. Add a few degrees to August, then stretch that out for a few months. If you loved the hottest days in August, then you will love NC weather. If Barcelona's June, July, and September were more to your liking, you'll be disappointed with NC.

Back to your original question: the Raleigh/Durham area, Charlotte, and perhaps Winston-Salem or Greensboro. You can also ask your questions (and learn a lot from reading old threads) in the sub-forums:
//www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...em-high-point/
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

You want "things to do." If you are more specific, people can be more helpful. Do you want to go to the beach? Mountains? Amusement parks? Museums? Walks in the park? Horseback riding? Boating? Bars? Sports leagues for adults? Spectator sports?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Hippest towns in NC:

1. Asheville
2. Chapel Hill
3. Carrboro

You may want to also check out Mt. Pleasant or some beach towns.

Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro are the "big" cities in NC and all have enclaves of "hip" hidden between mounds of crap, sprawl and vanilla. If I could live anywhere it wouldn't be one of the big cities... that's for sure. And I've lived in all of them...

Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 PM

It looks like NC is the perfect climate for us: we LOVE hot weather ;-)

With hip I mean: does the town have a nice center with a diversity of restaurants, live music,... As European, it is also important for me to be able to live somewhere where I can walk a lot. Asheville, Chapel Hill and Carrboro: do these have city centers shopping streets as well, or just strip malls where you need the car to get to them?

Thanks a lot!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Overall the US isn't conducive to the walking lifestyle you describe. Not sure from your post whether you are currently here in the states or not but if you are, you will see what I mean. You might find what you describe in some cities but could only know if you visited.

Asheville is not the environment you describe, perhaps Chapel Hill? but even that is a driving society.

Good luck and welcome

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
You haven't said where you plan to be working, but that will have a lot to do with it, as some towns/cities have better job markets than others for specific industries.

Do you want mountains or beach, urban or rural, liberal or conservative--you have not provided much information other than "warmer" and "good for children" which pretty much describe almost anywhere in the state. Do you really have an understanding of how large and varied this state is?

You will definitely need to take a visit to NC before just picking somewhere based on a message board, knowing as little as you do about the state. If you give more specific information, we might be able to help narrow down some places.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 AM

We are going in November to travel around in NC, but just because NC is so big, we want already narrow down to a few cities / towns.
Regarding work, my husband is working out something with his company, which will allow him to work from home and I will be a stay at home mom.
We like to live in a small city: a place that has a downtown, but nothing too metropolitan; below 500.000 would be great.
We prefer a liberal area with a lot of diversity concerning restaurants and shops.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis about to move View Post
below 500.000 would be great.
Thanks!
As long as you're counting heads, not fingers, the 500,000 only rules out Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina