Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
American government union labor is heavily subsidized. The tax payers are footing the bill for their healthcare AND retirement. I don't have either subsidized at my place of employment and I'm competing just fine.

Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
This is exactly the problem. Someone else is paying for your dad being set for life, and we have run out of "someone else's" money. It's a pyramid scheme that's unraveling, and anyone can see that. I'm glad your dad has a comfy life but it's not my place to pay for it.

The entitlement mentalities of some in this country are simply astounding.

I fund my own 401k and I don't expect the taxpayers of the state to set me up in my retirement.

The pendulum swung the other way a long time ago and Unions now do more harm than good in this country.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Yes, there were a number of individual strikes including Loray in the 20s, but the nationwide textile worker strike in 1934 ended the labor movement in the South. Many of the Loray strikers participated in the 34 strikes as well.
OK, I took your word for it & checked. The 1934 strike was all up & down the east coast. North Carolina History Project : Textile strike of 1934 However, the locals here (in the vicinity of Gastonia) all cite the Loray Mill strike.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The entitlement mentalities of some in this country are simply astounding.

I fund my own 401k and I don't expect the taxpayers of the state to set me up in my retirement.

The pendulum swung the other way a long time ago and Unions now do more harm than good in this country.

Well yeah, but you can't take the net out from under people just like that. You fund your own 401K, and that's great. State employees were offered a retirement plan too, a defined benefit plan rather than a defined contribution plan like a 401K. So now that they're retired or approaching retirement, you're going to tell them "Oops, too bad. We can't pay for it now. You should have saved on your own." ???

Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 83,518 times
America needs a reset button.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
jealously of public workers during lean times is nothing new. what private sector folks always forget is that when they were making money hand over fist during the boom years, the public sector workers were making the same thing they are now. the stability is what makes the career path attractive.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Well yeah, but you can't take the net out from under people just like that. You fund your own 401K, and that's great. State employees were offered a retirement plan too, a defined benefit plan rather than a defined contribution plan like a 401K. So now that they're retired or approaching retirement, you're going to tell them "Oops, too bad. We can't pay for it now. You should have saved on your own." ???
Haha, too true. Never mind that state and local employees 401ks in NC lost like half their value during the financial crisis. I feel for private sector employees who got hoodwinked into accepting pissing away their retirement at the dog track instead of banding together to keep their pensions. Then again the financial sector finagled its way into robbing pensions too. All this anger at public employees should be directed at employers and the financial world who conspired to screw over a distressingly large chunk of people retiring in the near future. It's really worrying what's going to happen when a lot of baby boomers find out their retirement investments aren't going to carry them through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, I took your word for it & checked. The 1934 strike was all up & down the east coast. North Carolina History Project : Textile strike of 1934 However, the locals here (in the vicinity of Gastonia) all cite the Loray Mill strike.
Yeah, the Loray Mill strike was a precursor to the general strike, where a lot of the tactics employed later on were first tested. One of the largest Labor Day marches in '34 took place in Gastonia.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Haha, too true. Never mind that state and local employees 401ks in NC lost like half their value during the financial crisis. I feel for private sector employees who got hoodwinked into accepting pissing away their retirement at the dog track instead of banding together to keep their pensions. Then again the financial sector finagled its way into robbing pensions too. All this anger at public employees should be directed at employers and the financial world who conspired to screw over a distressingly large chunk of people retiring in the near future. It's really worrying what's going to happen when a lot of baby boomers find out their retirement investments aren't going to carry them through.

Yeah, the Loray Mill strike was a precursor to the general strike, where a lot of the tactics employed later on were first tested. One of the largest Labor Day marches in '34 took place in Gastonia.

Interesting. . .the natives who I know all speak of the Loray Mill fiasco openly. I never heard a word about the '34 mess.

Later the Loray Mill was taken over by Firestone & now sits empty. Gastonia wants to turn it into housing, offices, & retail, & the rehabbing keeps falling through. It's like the old mill is cursed.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
The GOP is the political arm of corporate America. The GOP is trying to bust up unions because those "little people" make "too much" and cut into corporate profits.

After the GOP busts up the unions they will begin a fire sale of all state assets to their corporate donors way below value. I just hope that the protesters can weaken Wisconsin's current clown governor.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
jealously of public workers during lean times is nothing new. what private sector folks always forget is that when they were making money hand over fist during the boom years, the public sector workers were making the same thing they are now. the stability is what makes the career path attractive.

If government workers were subject to the same lean/productive fluctuations of the economy like private citizens then they would probably be more receptive to benefit cuts when the governments that pay their salaries are basically bankrupt.

Any government employee that has a beef with that is completely free to join the private work force. The tax payers owe you nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina