Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Irrelevant. The discussion is about actual voters.
If we're talking about whether or not NC is a purple state, then I think it's very relevant especially when you consider the differences in the electorate in presidential election years and mid-term/off years.

Quote:
In an election, 60% is a landslide. Please link to any statewide election that garnered 90% of the vote.
LOL, we're talking about the composition of the electorate. 60% is a lighter shade of purple, not solid red. That's generally speaking, not specific to NC. And it's a moot point anyway, since gay marriage is legal in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If we're talking about whether or not NC is a purple state, then I think it's very relevant especially when you consider the differences in the electorate in presidential election years and mid-term/off years.
We disagree then.

Quote:
LOL, we're talking about the composition of the electorate. 60% is a lighter shade of purple, not solid red. That's generally speaking, not specific to NC. And it's a moot point anyway, since gay marriage is legal in the state.
Yes, we are talking about the composition of the electorate...and no electorate is 90% one way or the other. Thats the point...60% is a huge number. Garnering 60% is a huge margin and is indicative of an electorate that is strongly oriented one way or the other.

And actually, the fact that same gender marriage is legal in NC is the moot point in this discussion. I'm not discussing the legality or morality of same gender marriage, I'm discussing the composition of the electorate.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, we are talking about the composition of the electorate...and no electorate is 90% one way or the other. Thats the point...60% is a huge number. Garnering 60% is a huge margin and is indicative of an electorate that is strongly oriented one way or the other.

And actually, the fact that same gender marriage is legal in NC is the moot point in this discussion. I'm not discussing the legality or morality of same gender marriage, I'm discussing the composition of the electorate.
60% isn't small potatoes by any stretch, but the gay marriage vote itself is moot because there are no prior referendums to compare it to, for one.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
60% isn't small potatoes by any stretch, but the gay marriage vote itself is moot because there are no prior referendums to compare it to, for one.
I wasn't attempting to compare it to prior referendums. I was citing it as evidence of the conservative leaning of North Carolina's current electorate.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I wasn't attempting to compare it to prior referendums. I was citing it as evidence of the conservative leaning of North Carolina's current electorate.
There are no prior referendums to compare it to LOL.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
There are no prior referendums to compare it to LOL.
Umm, yeah, I'm aware of that, thanks. Plus, you're just repeating yourself. If you have nothing new to say, is it worth saying?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Umm, yeah, I'm aware of that, thanks. Plus, you're just repeating yourself. If you have nothing new to say, is it worth saying?
I was correcting you in that last post, in which you didn't say anything new yourself.

Moving on...

Old 03-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I was correcting you in that last post, in which you didn't say anything new yourself.

Moving on...
Nothing I posted needed correcting. Please do move on...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Nothing I posted needed correcting. Please do move on...
"I wasn't attempting to compare it to prior referendums."

That was the statement that needed correcting in the sense that it assumed there were prior referendums. There were not.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
"I wasn't attempting to compare it to prior referendums."

That was the statement that needed correcting in the sense that it assumed there were prior referendums. There were not.
Good lord. YOU are the one who brought up "prior referendums" in the first place! That is why I pointed out that I wasn't comparing it. I made no assumptions and never said, or implied, that any prior referendums existed.

Enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina