Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 06:52 PM

24 posts, read 20,943 times

Advertisements

Alas, my response to the question...North Carolina and Virginia are veritable twins while NC is ultimately superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 08:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
True, they even have a gay Senator!
I giggled

Old 10-23-2022, 06:24 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Your response to this question depends on your politics honestly. If you are liberal you will be more inclined to say VA as it is more " desirable".

Objectively speaking, NC is more like SC. Built much more similarly, share a major city together, not to mention we vote closer to they do during elections. VA goes like +10 dem, SC +10 Rep, and NC like +2 Rep.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:49 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
In 2020, SC voted about +11.7%?red; VA 10% blue; and NC 1.4% red. NC was almost exactly in the middle of the VA/SC vote.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:31 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Come on, it’s SC, and RoVa (rest of Va excluding NoVa).

Old 11-02-2022, 08:07 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
The beginning of this thread, way back in 2007, is all about similarities/differences in geography, history, culture, etc. Now it's simply about politics. Oh, simpler times.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:13 PM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
You could draw a horizontal line across the entire state to answer this question. The southern half (Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington, etc.) would arguably be more similar to South Carolina, while the northern half (Winston, Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, etc.) would arguably be more similar to Virginia.

I spend practically all of my time in the Triangle, Triad, and High Country. I only go to Charlotte or Wilmington once a year or so. Therefore, I think North Carolina is more similar Virginia based on my surroundings. I'm always roughly an hour south of the Virginia border, whether it's Durham, Greensboro, Winston, or Boone.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:29 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
You could draw a horizontal line across the entire state to answer this question. The southern half (Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington, etc.) would arguably be more similar to South Carolina, while the northern half (Winston, Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, etc.) would arguably be more similar to Virginia.

I spend practically all of my time in the Triangle, Triad, and High Country. I only go to Charlotte or Wilmington once a year or so. Therefore, I think North Carolina is more similar Virginia based on my surroundings. I'm always roughly an hour south of the Virginia border, whether it's Durham, Greensboro, Winston, or Boone.
The triangle and the Triad are along the interstate 40 corridor in North Carolina which is not close to the Virginia state line at all IMO. And even if they were close to the Virginia state line the 3.9 million people of the triangle and triad combined is still less populated than the 4.4 million people of the Greenville Spartanburg and Charlotte areas combined. I get that South Carolina is an afterthought to a lot of people in North Carolina. However North Carolina's largest city is very much so a two-state city. And within 90 minutes of North Carolina's largest city are the csas of columbia, greenville-spartanburg, and the Triad. CSA Columbia has 1 million people, CSA greenville-spartanburg has 1.5 million people, CSA Charlotte itself has 2.9 million people, and the Triad as a CSA has 1.7 million people. To be honest the 2.2 million people of CSA triangle is kind of an outpost. Charlotte is surrounded by three different csa's with at least a million people while the triangle borders only one CSA of a million and that is the Triad. It may seem like the triangle is in the center of it all when it comes to North Carolina but North and South Carolina actually function as one big state and Charlotte is the geographic center of that big state. Charlotte is the only major city in the Carolinas that is within 3 hours of every major Carolina city think about it. Furthermore there is virtually zero cultural connection from Raleigh to Norfolk and from Raleigh to Richmond. The distance between Raleigh and those other cities are almost identical to the distance between Raleigh and Charlotte but the Raleigh to Charlotte connection culturally is much more pronounced and observable.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
They’re different states. I think overall NC is more similar to SC.

Roanoke, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, Richmond, Lynchburg, Williamsburg don’t feel that similar to NC anymore than SC would be.

I think maybe Georgia is more similar to NC than either VA or SC. Even politically.

Old 11-04-2022, 01:41 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
They’re different states. I think overall NC is more similar to SC.

Roanoke, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, Richmond, Lynchburg, Williamsburg don’t feel that similar to NC anymore than SC would be.

I think maybe Georgia is more similar to NC than either VA or SC. Even politically.
When you look at state population and State gross product it is very tempting to compare Georgia to North Carolina. In reality I would probably compare North Carolina to Tennessee. For starters the college sports scene and the professional sports that the two states have in common are nearly identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina