Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

Living in Erie pa and want to relocate to NC. curious as to the pos and neg of nc versus sc. Also what would be the perfect town if I want to be close or halfway between the big city life and the ocean? Want an area of professionals, classy bars and restaurants. No desire to drive 45min in traffic to get to work. Enjoy suburb living but spend all my free time on the beach or in the city. Good area for late 30's active single professional woman????? help me find the perfect town. Carey ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,474,140 times
If you want that, you'd be better off in SC around the Charleston area and suburbs. The only real city on NC's cost is Wilmington, but it still doesn't have a "big city life" to it.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
If you want that, you'd be better off in SC around the Charleston area and suburbs. The only real city on NC's cost is Wilmington, but it still doesn't have a "big city life" to it.
Agree.

Also, to the OP's question, Cary is a suburban place filled largely with couples and families. No singles scene and farther from the beach than even Raleigh (which does have a singles scene).

If you like an active night life AND the beach, Charleston would be a good place to start searching.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Having all that other stuff *AND* proximity to the beach is the hiccup.
If you are OK with being closer to mountains instead...
I know of a good situation in bicycle distance of two good hospitals (hint).

Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitchellrn View Post
Living in Erie pa and want to relocate to NC. curious as to the pos and neg of nc versus sc. Also what would be the perfect town if I want to be close or halfway between the big city life and the ocean? Want an area of professionals, classy bars and restaurants. No desire to drive 45min in traffic to get to work. Enjoy suburb living but spend all my free time on the beach or in the city. Good area for late 30's active single professional woman????? help me find the perfect town. Carey ?

South Carolina or may be even Norfolk Virgina area? Life might be just a wee bit slower in most of NC than what you want? You might get the beach, you might get the urban big city life, but, as has been duly noted, VERY difficult to have both.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
South Carolina or may be even Norfolk Virgina area? Life might be just a wee bit slower in most of NC than what you want? You might get the beach, you might get the urban big city life, but, as has been duly noted, VERY difficult to have both.
I say just move to Lake Norman. That way, the OP can live here:
All sizes | Gorgeous Lake Norman | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/philsworldtravel/4117793910/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
All sizes | Lake Norman, NC Marina Condos | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/traumaliz/3885735446/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
All sizes | Lake Norman 009 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/traumaliz/3884935179/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

And still be only 20 minutes from here:
All sizes | Aerial of Charlotte Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49394874@N08/5518439649/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitchellrn View Post
Whether it's NC or SC should matter much less than the other criteria. NC has a wonderful coast but no "cities" near the coast. Have you looked at a map or studied NC's geography at all? If so, I'm curious how you picked this state if you want a city + beach since we don't really have that except perhaps Wilmington. You would probably do best to get a map and start investigating all of the cities that are near enough to the coast for your desires, and visiting the City-Data boards for those cities. I agree with the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of VA, or Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC, or Savannah GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina