Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times

Advertisements

Cities are why it is different. North Carolina has several cities with more then 200,000 people within the city proper, SC has none. Simply put Durham has more people then any city in SC and by a lot. It make NC much more urban and much more Democratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Cities are why it is different. North Carolina has several cities with more then 200,000 people within the city proper, SC has none. Simply put Durham has more people then any city in SC and by a lot. It make NC much more urban and much more Democratic.
IMO, SC cities do just fine when compared to NC cities. Don't let NC's liberal annexation laws fool you...

Greenville, SC (population 58,409)
All sizes | Downtown Greenville Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49394874@N08/6261125399/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Columbia, SC (population 129,272)
All sizes | Columbia, SC Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/columbiasc/5303983392/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
All sizes | Downtown Columbia Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49394874@N08/6261108409/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Myrtle Beach, SC (population 27,109)
All sizes | IMG_3198a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csaustin/4491479359/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
All sizes | IMG_3192a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csaustin/4492089148/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Charleston, SC (population 120,083)
All sizes | The many roofs in Charleston, SC | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22516573@N07/2375992270/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)
All sizes | Downtown Charleston, SC | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22516573@N07/2375989618/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Durham, NC (population 228,330)
All sizes | durham skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/astray/496891773/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Greensboro, NC (population 269,666)
All sizes | Greensboro Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbtuohy/3644213179/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Winston-Salem, NC (population 229,617)
All sizes | Winston-Salem Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlmoore/2636393595/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Raleigh, NC (population 403,892)
All sizes | Raleigh Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbtuohy/3896956204/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Charlotte's urbanized area (the "city limits" that ignore political boundaries) is in both states; therefore NC and SC can claim Charlotte in a way.

Charlotte, NC (population 731,424)
All sizes | Charlotte The Queen City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dorameulman/6430673643/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

I must admit that NC's liberal annexation laws were great at keeping suburban money in the cities. However, SC cities are only "small" on paper due to SC's strict laws against annexation. Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia would all be more populated than Greensboro (slightly less populated than Raleigh) if they were NC towns. The biggest difference is the fact that NC cities tend to group together to form sprawl-tropolis/like metros. SC cities have only a few sq/miles of burbs with a quick drop-off into the rural side of the fence. However, at the city core, SC cities stand up to NC cities quite well.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Those are not really terrific skyline pictures for NC cities. You have panorama view for SC and close ups from ball parks of NC ones and where you do have NC panorama's like Raleigh, unlike any SC city you cannot fit all of it in one picture.

List of counties in South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SAS Output

There is no county in SC that Can even come close to Mecklenburg, or Wake and even Guilford is bigger then anything in SC and SC really cannot claim Charlotte any more the Cabbarus county can claim Charlotte, they are both exurbs..

It isn't the rural black counties like SC has that make NC blue. Its Wake, Guilford, Mecklenburg, Cumberland, Durham etc.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-02-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Those are not really terrific skyline pictures for NC cities. You have panorama view for SC and close ups from ball parks of NC ones and where you do have NC panorama's like Raleigh, unlike any SC city you cannot fit all of it in one picture.

List of counties in South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SAS Output

There is no county in SC that Can even come close to Mecklenburg, or Wake and even Guilford is bigger then anything in SC and SC really cannot claim Charlotte any more the Cabbarus county can claim Charlotte, they are both exurbs..

It isn't the rural black counties like SC has that make NC blue. Its Wake, Guilford, Mecklenburg, Cumberland, Durham etc.
I Agree. North Carolina's Big Three metros dwarf South Carolina's... Wake and Meck counties are right at 1 million alone. The city of Raleigh by itself is only 20,000 people of South Carolina's largest county, at only 140 sq miles. If Raleigh and Charlotte were still only 50 sq miles, they would both still have a population of around 300,000. Raleigh's was 212,000 at 54 sq miles in 1990. Charlotte was 395,000 at 130+ sq miles during the same time period.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Also, South Carolina arguably is in the Deep South, whereas North Carolina is arguably Mid-Atlantic, and increasingly so. For instance, Raleigh-Durham is increasingly compared to Northern Virginia, which is just up the road. South Carolina has a much more Southern culture and political climate.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Also, South Carolina arguably is in the Deep South, whereas North Carolina is arguably Mid-Atlantic, and increasingly so. For instance, Raleigh-Durham is increasingly compared to Northern Virginia, which is just up the road. South Carolina has a much more Southern culture and political climate.
Sounds like another +1 for SC...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Very surprised to see the negative comments about SC... and the premise for the "thread" seems to simply be so folks can troll our gentle neighbors to the South. Shameful, IMO.

I love SC myself. I love their history, their culture, the lowcountry, the upstate. I love their beaches, their food, their people and I think they have the coolest flag of any State.

I'd wager that those bashing SC have never lived there, so that'd it make it business as usual at city-data... a forum for people who specialize in talking **** about places they've been.

carry on...

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
I have lived there. Was born there as a matter of fact. Have several friends that are from there and live there now. Not too many years ago I attended a friends wedding in Grenville, SC. I do believe the coastal areas, from Myrtle, to Charleston, to the low country, have their charm.

All of that that said, a better name for South Carolina, would be North Georgia. I guess only North Augusta got the memo There's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you prefer, but is what it is.

Jokes aside, NC relationship with SC is akin to what the US relationship is with Canada, or the Bay Area is with SoCal. Socal does not concern itself with the Bay, and Canada does not concern itself with being an American punchline. Probably, in the same way, I doubt SC wastes much time contemplating it's relationship with NC .

Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
The major difference between the two Carolinas is political, which has had its greatest impacts on the economy and education of both states. NC was very forward-thinking with the establishment of RTP and liberalizing banking laws which helped Charlotte become what it is today. Also, Charlotte's strategic location at the center of both Carolinas has historically drawn many native South Carolinians to the city for greater business prospects. Some of the most noted Charlotteans in particular, past and present, are native South Carolinians including Hugh McColl, Harvey Gantt, and D. A. Tompkins. For the longest due, due to the railroads going down through Columbia and on to Charleston, Charlotte was actually more connected with SC than NC. Even today, Charlotte utilizes the port of Charleston more than the port of Wilmington because Charleston's is larger and better connected to Charlotte. So we should keep in mind that SC has played a pretty important role in the growth and development of NC's largest metro area. You get a better perspective when looking at things historically versus the past 20-30 years or so.

Most of NC is like most of SC honestly, in terms of culture and such. But the major urban areas (namely Charlotte and Raleigh), where much of the economic and educational clout is consolidated, is the major reason why the two states have largely been on two different tracks for the past 30-40 years or so. I can give someone from Charlotte or Raleigh just a tad bit of leeway in criticizing SC, but anywhere else in the state? Not at all. Things are pretty equal after that for the most part.

In short, NC gets credit for a better economy and better educational system. Of course NC has way more mountains, but SC's coast is more varied and popular and its major cities are along water features (which is puzzling to me about NC; the largest cities aren't actually along rivers). Also, Charlotte is definitely the closest the Carolinas has to an urban, big-city downtown environment, but Charleston still has the most urban and densest downtown and Greenville probably has the best downtown revitalization story of any similar-sized city in the Carolinas. SC does well when it comes to urban universities like USC and College of Charleston. I think the best cultural festival between the two states is Spoleto in Charleston. Clearly NC has made more progress than SC overall within the past several decades and I'll be one of the first to point that out as a native SC'er who has lived in Charlotte, but those who are completely discounting SC are mostly doing so genuinely out of ignorance.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 02-04-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 12:31 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
well stated, Mutiny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina