Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 13,078 times

Advertisements

Hello All! My boyfriend and I are considering moving to North Carolina in the near future. We are currently living in Upstate New York where the taxes are ridiculous, the weather sucks, and the people aren't much better. We are planning a trip to NC in the summer to check things out and see how we like it. We live in the country here in NY where it's about a 15 min drive to a main town and a 30-45 min drive to a major city which we like and want to find a similar area in NC. We also know people that live in Guilford and Orange County whom are willing to take us in and show us around so that will likely be our first area to see. We both enjoy outdoor activities, going to the movies, out to eat, etc. I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and my boyfriend works at Napa Auto Parts. If anyone could lend us some advice as far as what the Piedmont areas are like, job opportunities, housing (we'd like to rent for a while first to make sure we like it then buy a house.) Any information would be great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Look into Mebane or Burlington. Mebane will have the country vibe and Burlington is a small town.

You will be right in middle between Guildford & Orange in Alamance county.
This way you will have friends nearby.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Welcome to Noth Carolina where the taxes are ridiculous, the SUMMER weather sucks, and the people are much better.

Not sure what you are hoping for, but the problem with living in NC is you still have to work so you rarely get to enjoy all its beauty.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Welcome to Noth Carolina where the taxes are ridiculous, the SUMMER weather sucks, and the people are much better.
NO NO NO, the taxes in NJ are ridiculous, in NC they are tolerable.

I agree with you on the heat, it is HOT here in the summer.

The people are much better than what? People are people.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NO NO NO, the taxes in NJ are ridiculous, in NC they are tolerable.

I agree with you on the heat, it is HOT here in the summer.

The people are much better than what? People are people.
Have you been to Detroit? North carolina is a much nicer collection of people...IMO

Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Funny thing about moving out of NY to get away from the NY people.... oh wait, a LOT OF THEM moved here.

OP - the job opportunities here are not great, there have been several threads regarding this. The taxes are terribly high here as well - maybe not as high as NY, but there are a lot of taxes. The summer heat sucks.

There are country or rural areas all over the nation, many states off exactly what you're looking for. Why NC?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
There are country or rural areas all over the nation, many states off exactly what you're looking for. Why NC?
Exactly. Is there something specifically about NC that is drawing you here (I hope it's something more substantial than just "we heard it was a good state" or "we read some articles") or are you mostly just trying to get out of NY? Other states have lower taxes, or better climate, etc. North Carolinians are great people, but as mentioned, LOTS of New Yorkers have beat you here in the past few years so if you're trying to get away from New Yorkers, think again!

What specifically about North Carolina, and not another state, has this state in your sights?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 AM

20 posts, read 29,138 times
Oh boy, what other taxes did I not hear about? No matter where you live, it seems everyone from there cant wait to "get out of here". To get away from the years and years of the same thing has to be good for the soul. But seriously, what other taxes am I not prepared for?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
NC has massive taxes on gas, I think the nation's highest. Taxes on dogs in some places.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM

8 posts, read 13,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
NC has massive taxes on gas, I think the nation's highest. Taxes on dogs in some places.
Seriously?! Taxes on dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina