Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Nearly one in five North Carolinians younger than 65 lacks health insurance, according to U.S. Census estimates. That percent was higher than all but 16 states.

read more here
Census: One in five in N.C. don't have health insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
I'll bet they have an I-Phone, I-Pad and a hand full of lottery tickets every week. Who need insurance when the emergency rooms have to take car of you when your sick or injured?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Nearly one in five North Carolinians younger than 65 lacks health insurance, according to U.S. Census estimates. That percent was higher than all but 16 states.
Call me cynical but I would've figured the number was higher.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
This is why the Affordable Care Act that congress and Supreme Court passed is good in reducing the burden when everyone pays in to it.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
I would have thought it higher also and most likely is.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,834 times
Quote:
This is why the Affordable Care Act that congress and Supreme Court passed is good in reducing the burden when everyone pays in to it.
Keep telling yourself that. The math doesn't work, and not everyone is going to pay the penalty for not having insurance. Employers are going to dump insurance for their employees at the first opportunity, and the cost of insurance at the exchanges is going to be up to 40% more than what you currently pay, assuming you are allowed to buy into an exchange (which does not exist yet in NC) in the first place. That is in addition to the extra compliance and administrative costs.

The company I work for has already stated they are going to stop providing insurance. My wife's company, since it only has 8 employees, will not be able to provide it either so they will have to pay a $2,500 per employee penalty. So thanks for supporting the loss of my health insurance and the extra penalty on small businesses. And yes, this is relevant to NC since both employers are in this state.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:02 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Employers are going to dump insurance for their employees at the first opportunity...
The sooner the better.

Perpetuating the employment relationship is the #1 problem with the ACA as it currently exists.
It distorts everything about healthcare and makes it harder for new companies to start up.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The sooner the better.

Perpetuating the employment relationship is the #1 problem with the ACA as it currently exists.
It distorts everything about healthcare and makes it harder for new companies to start up.

But I thought if I liked my plan I could keep it? The problem with the ACA is that it does not provide any incentive for any employer to provide insurance as a benefit. Employer plans cause insurance premiums to be much less than they would individually. Have you tried to buy insurance on your own, or paid into Cobra? It costs about twice as much as the company plan. Since employers will no longer be subsidizing coverage there won't be enough money to drive costs down, plus you will add several million high-risk insured into the mix with the "no pre-existing conditions" portion of the bill so the costs go even higher. Then add the extra taxes on the drug companies, employers, insurance providers and medical device manufacturers and there is no where else for costs to go but up.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
I agree with you but then again we have the people who don't want to buy insurance because they "never get sick". Just like the ones who don't carry liability insurance because they are "good drivers" , because it never floods where they live", because "what do I need homeowners insurance for"?

I'm just glad that there are enough smart people that realize that if the majority is willing to pay a fair share for insurance then they won't get stuck paying huge medical bills like the uninsured will because they needed the money for more important things.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Since employers will no longer be subsidizing...
They aren't "subsidizing" anything.

You're paying every penny of everything whether you see the money or not.
Me? I'd rather see the money and make my own choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina