Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Does the triad include Raliegh-Durham or is it just Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro?
The Piedmont Triad is just the core areas of Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
If current trends hold, Mecklenburg County should reach 1 million by Halloween, possibly as early as Labor Day. Wake County should reach 1 million by July 2014.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Sorry for offending you, let me re-phrase.

Raleigh will never offer the amenities on the scale Charlotte does.
I was not offended. Why would I be? Raleigh doesn't want to be Charlotte.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM

160 posts, read 235,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Sorry for offending you, let me re-phrase.

Raleigh will never offer the amenities on the scale Charlotte does.
Sure it will. Raleigh itself may be Charlotte's little brother, but the Charlotte metro area is only about 25% larger. As a city, Charlotte is not so unique that things done there can only be done there. The metros are also far enough apart that Charlotte getting something does not eliminate the need to have one in the Triangle too. So, we'll see the cities, and metro areas, have similar levels of amenities - Charlotte will just get them first. And with time, who knows. Charlotte may take off and leave Raleigh/the Triangle in it's dust. The Triangle may take off and overtake Charlotte. Given time, who knows. Never is a long time after all

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Sure it will. Raleigh itself may be Charlotte's little brother, but the Charlotte metro area is only about 25% larger. As a city, Charlotte is not so unique that things done there can only be done there. The metros are also far enough apart that Charlotte getting something does not eliminate the need to have one in the Triangle too. So, we'll see the cities, and metro areas, have similar levels of amenities - Charlotte will just get them first. And with time, who knows. Charlotte may take off and leave Raleigh/the Triangle in it's dust. The Triangle may take off and overtake Charlotte. Given time, who knows. Never is a long time after all
The amenities between the two cities is not that similar at all. Charlotte is waay ahead.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I was not offended. Why would I be? Raleigh doesn't want to be Charlotte.
While I understand what you're saying I think Raleigh absolutely wants to be similar to Charlotte. I think of Progress Energy as an example. In the same vein Charlotte would love the University education as Raleigh.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While I understand what you're saying I think Raleigh absolutely wants to be similar to Charlotte. I think of Progress Energy as an example. In the same vein Charlotte would love the University education as Raleigh.
I also don't think that Raleigh wants to be Charlotte. I do think that both cities want to eventually become mid sized cities with a high quality of life, good business climate, and good services. There are not that many people in Raleigh who are really sitting around saying "I can't wait to be Charlotte". If anything, Charlotte's just a reasonably close example of the next step in downtown Raleigh's development that can be used as a comparison point. For longer range planning, both cities need to look up the coast to DC/Baltimore and down the coast to Atlanta.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
The amenities between the two cities is not that similar at all. Charlotte is waay ahead.
I suspect we just differ on what "way ahead" really means.

If we were talking about comparing Atlanta & Raleigh, I'd say way ahead. However, Charlotte at 25% larger than Raleigh/The Triangle, nope it's not way ahead. Are there going to be some things that Charlotte has that Raleigh does not - sure, it's 25% bigger. But way ahead - nope.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
I suspect we just differ on what "way ahead" really means.

If we were talking about comparing Atlanta & Raleigh, I'd say way ahead. However, Charlotte at 25% larger than Raleigh/The Triangle, nope it's not way ahead. Are there going to be some things that Charlotte has that Raleigh does not - sure, it's 25% bigger. But way ahead - nope.
I can't read minds, but when most people say that Charlotte is way ahead of Raleigh, they're usually talking about center city development.

Charlotte, NC Neighborhood Tour - YouTube

Uptown Charlotte, NC Night Tour (HD) - YouTube

Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No offense parkman, but I can think of smaller cities/metros in the south that are "way ahead" of Raleigh (Austin, Nashville, Richmond, Norfolk/VA Beach, New Orleans, and Charleston all come to mind). You can add Charlotte to this list as well. As a metro, the Triangle is freaking AWESOME; as a city Raleigh is lacking.
I don't think that you truly understand how the Triangle works. It's not all about one city or another.
Goody for Charlotte that it's all about Charlotte, all the time. I know it's important to Charlotteans that its that way. However, we in the Triangle don't see the world in the same way. Raleigh will never be exactly the sort of city and the Triangle will never be exactly the sort of metro that Charlotte is and I reject that the identity/value of Raleigh and the Triangle have to be measured in Charlotte's terms.

On the other hand, I'll say that the persistent way Charlotteans often praise the Triangle and Durham while dissing Raleigh makes me wonder......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina