Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 AM

81 posts, read 158,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As long as that night life doesn't involve a late night movie, midnight bowling, Monday Night Football, Wednesday night Basketball, a major concert, AND bars/clubs; you're probably right. Then again, you did give a more honest description of downtown Raleigh on your local forum...

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...line-like.html
Charlotte really proud of their subpar sports teams now? lol? As far as both comments I posted both cities are really boring places and far from being half-*** cities and even with all of Downtown Raleigh faults and there's a lot of them it beats Charlotte's Uptown McCorporate Nightlife. Anyways I rather go see up-and-coming bands that are just a few yards in front of me in Raleigh/Durham/Carrboro than some money-scraping has-been show in Charlotte. Also I live in both cities and commute once a week for family so I like how you create scenarios that don't exist. Also the dead campus comment can apply to Charlotte if you included Suburbia Wasteland in the description.

How about we all agree North Carolina is meh at best and that's okay.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-08-2013 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Charlotte really proud of their subpar sports teams now? lol? As far as both comments I posted both cities are really boring places and far from being half-*** cities and even with all of Downtown Raleigh faults and there's a lot of them it beats Charlotte's Uptown McCorporate Nightlife. Anyways I rather go see up-and-coming bands that are just a few yards in front of me in Raleigh/Durham/Carrboro than some money-scraping has-been show in Charlotte. Also I live in both cities and commute once a week for family so I like how you create scenarios that don't exist. Also the dead campus comment can apply to Charlotte if you included Suburbia Wasteland in the description.
Sounds like you don't know much about uptown Charlotte's nightlife these days. That description might have been somewhat true ten years ago or so, but now? Not so much.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm not sure on the late night movie thing, though there is an IMAX theater in downtown Raleigh with regular 9-10pm showtimes. You can do midnight bowling at The Alley on Hillsborough St on the weekends. Got no pro football (I don't care about it, personally), got way better basketball, got several different music venues, including Red Hat Amphitheater downtown which does host major acts like Ke$ha who was here this summer and all of downtown Raleigh was host to the International Bluegrass Music Association festival, which by all accounts went off swimmingly. There are plenty of bars and clubs, too. Here's a listing Explore Here :: Nightlife :: Downtown Raleigh .

I don't really participate in this thread much any more, but just read it for amusement sometimes. I'm not into the Raleigh (or Triangle) vs Charlotte thing, but just wanted to set the record straight on the above. Charlotte has definitely got Raleigh beat on pro sports, but any real basketball fan would much rather see the Triangle college teams play than see the Bobcats, no offense MJ. I think the Triangle has a much more vibrant music scene especially for original indie rock than Charlotte does, but Charlotte could have the Triangle beat in some other genres I don't keep up with. The Triangle is home to several significant record labels and bands/artists.

Charlotte definitely has taller buildings. Gotta give the Queen City that.

Some people think our buildings are just decorations. Our residential buildings alone would be a more impressive than Raleigh's entire skyline. I say that because Im not sure why some people are under the impression CLT is a ghost town compared to downtown Raleigh.... The buildings contain people.....

Can't wait until 1st Quarter next year when a large project with tons of shopping retail (no just bars and convenien stores) is announced.... And combined with Epicenter and renovations for retail in general will make Raleigh & Charlotte as comparable as Night & Day

Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I can say that Traffic is south Charlotte sucks in the morning and a slightly lessor extent in the evenings. I was recently there a few days for business and I had to drive from Mathews to near south park mall (approx 11.5 - 12 miles) and it took me much longer than anticipated. I went three different ways during 3 days and it took me 55 minutes the first day with the 3rd day being the best at about 40 minutes (going up rt. 74 first). You don't have many options except surface streets that get clogged. It actually reminded me very much of the Northern VA traffic I left behind.

North Raleigh, which reminds me of South Charlotte has much better north-south and east-west 4 lane divided roads than S. Charlotte has, not to mention 540 which spans the northern tip of Raleigh. I like Charlotte, but I would hate to live there, since the traffic is almost as bad as NoVA, without the amenities neighboring DC provides. Raleigh has it's traffic spots, but more on the interstates (towards RTP) in the AM, but nothing like I've seen on the surface streets of Charlotte.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:05 PM

489 posts, read 911,577 times
[quote=Charlotte485;32147398

Can't wait until 1st Quarter next year when a large project with tons of shopping retail (no just bars and convenien stores) is announced.... And combined with Epicenter and renovations for retail in general will make Raleigh & Charlotte as comparable as Night & Day[/QUOTE]

Does this have to do with the block in Uptown where the Goodyear is?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Does this have to do with the block in Uptown where the Goodyear is?
Yes. So it seems, there's some behind-the-scenes talk of putting together a multi-use building with a major retail component. 35-40 floors is what I've read. Such a building could be Charlotte's 7th 500-footer. If it falls just short of 500 feet, it would be the city's 14th 400-footer.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
As long as that night life doesn't involve a late night movie, midnight bowling, Monday Night Football, Wednesday night Basketball, a major concert, AND bars/clubs; you're probably right. Then again, you did give a more honest description of downtown Raleigh on your local forum...
Man, no pretense of objectivity here at all.

Yes sir, the true mark of a flourishing downtown is whether or not it has a bowling alley. It's just not a city unless you have one. Oh no, it cannot be an adjacent neighborhood to downtown, it must be exactly in the central business district, or it doesn't count!

Look at this thread. It's preposterous. It seems to be a bunch of people comparing the city they live in to a city they haven't thoroughly visited since the 90s. I'll be completely honest here. The last time I visited Charlotte, which was many years ago, there seemed to be next to nothing. Sure there were restaurants downtown (and I refuse to call it uptown, and I think everyone from Charlotte should do the same), but they all seemed to be mediocre. But in fairness, at that time, there was nothing going on in downtown Raleigh either. I can extrapolate based on the fact that downtown Raleigh went from being a pretty boring, dead place with only a spotty collection of fairly mediocre options to actually a pretty cool an interesting place with a lot of kickass stuff over the course of a decade from about 2002 to 2012. I would assume that the same has happened in Charlotte, considering the amount of infill that's happened there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88

How about we all agree North Carolina is meh at best and that's okay.
I've been to plenty other places in the country and I can safely say that this pretentious attitude is completely wrong. Most of the country is every bit as boring as it is here, and usually moreso. Seriously. Unless you live in New Orleans, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, or Boston, you cannot talk about how it's 'meh' here. It is meh compared to those places if you absolutely need to live in a city where there is a 24-hour, 365 day constant party in a specific area. Compared to everywhere else other than those places, NC is actually great. Literally this is actually one of the better states easily. Most mid-sized cities in the US have exactly the same thing going on. Most of them are actually dead in the CBD, and the activity is in some neighborhoods adjacent to downtown (and there is always a ring of Sally Struthers neighborhoods with a steady stream of gunshots just beyond that). A few of them have a very aggressive chamber of commerce that tries to market the city as having 'some sort of thing'. Always comes off as forced, usually just succeeds in making the city seem very camp.

There is one thing that NC excels in, and that is that we don't advertise our state all that much. We don't have the preposterous number of tourist traps that other states do, and we don't go out of our way to market our cities as falling into some kind of 'niche'.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Man, no pretense of objectivity here at all.

Yes sir, the true mark of a flourishing downtown is whether or not it has a bowling alley. It's just not a city unless you have one. Oh no, it cannot be an adjacent neighborhood to downtown, it must be exactly in the central business district, or it doesn't count!
That's the way it works if we're going to have a downtown vs downtown comparison. For what it's worth, Charlotte's adjacent neighborhood to downtown should be counted as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Look at this thread. It's preposterous. It seems to be a bunch of people comparing the city they live in to a city they haven't thoroughly visited since the 90s.
In all fairness, the last time I was in downtown Raleigh was this past Summer. The downtown has evolved nicely over the last decade. Charlotte could certainly borrow Raleigh's free museum.

Raleigh's superior museum scene aside, I think you should visit Charlotte's present-day downtown if you haven't already. Monday night's Panthers game against the Patriots would be a good time to see the Queen City when she's not asleep.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
That's the way it works if we're going to have a downtown vs downtown comparison. For what it's worth, Charlotte's adjacent neighborhood to downtown should be counted as well.
In all fairness, the last time I was in downtown Raleigh was this past Summer. The downtown has evolved nicely over the last decade. Charlotte could certainly borrow Raleigh's free museum.

Raleigh's superior museum scene aside, I think you should visit Charlotte's present-day downtown if you haven't already. Monday night's Panthers game against the Patriots would be a good time to see the Queen City when she's not asleep.
I've visited downtown Charlotte recently. But couldn't stay long. There is a big difference between going somewhere briefly and actually figuring out where all the 'stuff' is, and I think there are some people here who are clearly counting brief drive-throughs as if they know a place. I feel it would be disingenuous to do that... so I won't. I think I just haven't had time to find where the actual stuff is. Looked like South Tryon might've had some things, but I don't know.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Let's be honest folks. We all know that determining which city is truly the greatest will be decided once and for all by which one gets the first Wegman's store in NC.

You know it and I know it. Everything else is just folly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina