Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You could come to Chapel Hill and Carrboro downtowns where the CVS's are 24 hrs. Par-tay!!
You might be joking, but there's some truth to that. Downtown Charleston also has a 24 hour store by the way. When it comes to downtown amenities, the Durham/Chapel Hill metro has a few advantages over Raleigh. I believe Durham has a downtown YMCA while the closest Y to DT Raleigh is out on Hillsborough Street. As for the 24 hour CVS in DT Chapel Hill, I do believe that a certain popular university had more to do with that decision than anything else.

Any way, a poster asked which city had more of a "24/7 night weekend vibe" between central Charlotte and central Raleigh. I used CVS because it is a chain that central Charlotte and central Raleigh have in common. Below are some night/weekend and special event scenes near the CVS at Epicentre.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8...a7c6c05f_b.jpg

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Blo...re_Paschal.jpg

http://www.charlottehappening.com/wp...-epicentre.jpg

http://mountvernonam.com/wp-content/...owd-shot-2.jpg

And there are those times when very little is going on and the place can seem a bit dead...

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4061/4...9d2fb83c_b.jpg

^^^Still though, there are enough events and foot traffic in the area to justify a late night walk-up CVS (without the help of a major university).

The one thing that both downtowns (Charlotte and Raleigh) lack is a major retail row like what can be found in Asheville and Charleston (Charleston especially). The fact that Charlotte has South Park and Raleigh has North Hills/Crabtree doesn't help things. Charlotte does get credit for the few options in midtown (Target, Best Buy, Marshalls, Staples, West Elm and a few others) but there really needs to be more IMO.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
There are two CVS's in Uptown Charlotte. One in the Epicentre and the other on Graham near the Vue and the Harris Teeter.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Both cities need to work on the retail component. IT even took a while for retail to pop in DC, but once id did, there was an avalanche. For DC, it occurred after entertainment, restaurants, then residential came back roaring in center city. Then, retail followed.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Both cities need to work on the retail component. IT even took a while for retail to pop in DC, but once id did, there was an avalanche. For DC, it occurred after entertainment, restaurants, then residential came back roaring in center city. Then, retail followed.
2014 should be an excellent start for real retail in Charlotte

Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't think I'd want Fayetteville or Rocky Mount added to the CSA. For one, that would mean that the surburban development has filled in among those areas and that's simply frightening to me. Additionally, I am not sure what either of them would bring to the table other than more people.
I'd rather see the Triangle wrestle away Alamance County from the Triad than see it expand 50+ miles east or 50+ miles south.
I can share your concern and I see where you are coming from. But you and I both know that the reach of influence for the Triangle actually spreads to both Fayetteville and Rocky Mount. Arguably so, The Triangle may have a larger economic sphere than Charlotte, and it does so according to the BEA Economic Regions. But of course even there should be a debate; which is honestly the point of this thread. Your statement. Concerning Alamance county reminds me of Catawba and Burke county of the unifour. Both of these counties are economic strong center points for that MSA but also attribute much of their economic success from Charlotte. I would say in the future look for Charlotte's economic sphere to reach into Upstate (Seneca and Cherokee counties), Triad (Davidson county), and absorb the new unifour CSA.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I can share your concern and I see where you are coming from. But you and I both know that the reach of influence for the Triangle actually spreads to both Fayetteville and Rocky Mount. Arguably so, The Triangle may have a larger economic sphere than Charlotte, and it does so according to the BEA Economic Regions. But of course even there should be a debate; which is honestly the point of this thread. Your statement. Concerning Alamance county reminds me of Catawba and Burke county of the unifour. Both of these counties are economic strong center points for that MSA but also attribute much of their economic success from Charlotte. I would say in the future look for Charlotte's economic sphere to reach into Upstate (Seneca and Cherokee counties), Triad (Davidson county), and absorb the new unifour CSA.
I understand what you are saying and I understand that the Triangle has media influence (in particular) that reaches to these areas an into southern Virginia. I suppose there will be a day when both Fayetteville and Rocky Mount will be included in the CSA. Hopefully I'll be dead by then.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Some great news for the Charlotte area. Of course this should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, this is great news.

Charlotte-area unemployment drops to 7.5% - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Some great news for the Charlotte area. Of course this should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, this is great news.

Charlotte-area unemployment drops to 7.5% - Charlotte Business Journal
Great news for Charlotte......still higher than Raleigh and the Triangle though....

Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Great news for Charlotte......still higher than Raleigh and the Triangle though....
This is true. But considering that Charlotte has more manufacturing, construction, and financial service jobs you can see why. The fact that Charlotte is around 7.5%, however, is something to be celebrated. If you lived in Charlotte from 2008-2011, this would be the time to go the NC Music Factory and celebrate after these numbers. You then might want to go to Amelie's to sober up afterward. Not to mention Charlotte's unemployment is huge news for NC, which will be even better for Raleigh.
Needless to say, I'm glad the Triangle wasn't hit as hard. Your neighbor in the Traid however...

Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
The Charlotte Observer ran a similar story. Here's an interesting quote from the link below:

Mecklenburg unemployment rate falls again | CharlotteObserver.com

Quote:
Over the year, the Charlotte metropolitan area registered the state’s largest net employment gain of 28,400 jobs, a 3.3 percent increase. The Raleigh-Cary area added 11,000 jobs, the state’s next highest net gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina