Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It's settled!!! Charlotte wins!!! Because you have a college bowl game? With no college team? Or two bottom feeding teams. One who tripped into the playoffs. I'm impressed now. NOT
Is anyone asking you if you're impressed? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I mean that do you honestly think you're so christened that everyone should be trying to impress you?

A lot of people like the Cleveland Cavaliers, a lot of people are Hornets fans & Panthers fans & Cavs fans and a lot of fans are in town for the Belk bowl. Obviously There are lots of people who care. Whether that impresses you or not, oh well.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,801 times
UNCC , JC Smith & Davidson all have football teams. So what is do you mean we have no college teams.

WBT picture of Uptown Charlotte. You will see it 2 times this week on national TV.

Last edited by CLT1985; 12-30-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 06:10 AM

363 posts, read 444,960 times
Quote:
It's settled!!! Charlotte wins!!! Because you have a college bowl game? With no college team? Or two bottom feeding teams. One who tripped into the playoffs. I'm impressed now. NOT
Well, nothing impresses you. Except a new Carolina Ale House I guess..(which is funny considering how much you bash chains..)

Last edited by tdm51; 12-30-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 AM

I look at downtown Houston restaurant guide and it had about 50 chain and 50 local. Houston is the 5th largest city in the US. I been to San Francisco, and they had chain restaurant there too. Try New York city and You will find chains their too. So what is the big things about chains, If they are good restaurants who cares. The only thing that tells me is, if you have a market large enough to support them, you will find them their. They are not going to locate where there is not enough business to support them. Raleigh downtown is too small of a market to support the number of chains that you find in larger cities. It is a matter of economics, supply and demand. Over 40,000 people everyday work in downtown Raleigh, and over 100,000 a day in Charlotte and over 20,000 people living uptown.

Raleigh Info on work downtown.
http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/at-work

Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
UNCC , JC Smith & Davidson all have football teams. So what is do you mean we have no college teams.

WBT picture of Uptown Charlotte. You will see it 2 times this week on national TV.
Are you serious? Those are little league college teams. You guys are trying too hard. Davidson you have to be joking

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Well, nothing impresses you. Except a new Carolina Ale House I guess..(which is funny considering how much you bash chains..)
If they were any good it would impress me. But that isn't the case is it? Don't have a problem with chains. Just pointing out the lack of originally in the restaurant choices there. Most people go to the Ale house to drink not eat. Duh. Charlotte vs. Raleigh?-image.jpg

Looks pretty " cookie cutter " to me.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM

People over here do not take it as a joke. I support my school in football, but it is not big like Texas A&M or Texas. I go my degree in Texas so I use Texas schools.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
If they were any good it would impress me. But that isn't the case is it? Don't have a problem with chains. Just pointing out the lack of originally in the restaurant choices there. Most people go to the Ale house to drink not eat. Duh. Attachment 142048

Looks pretty " cookie cutter " to me.
Seriously, there is one that looks nearly identical in Greenville, SC. Also Columbia, SC. I have been to both. I have nothing against ale house. but seriously, its not a unique place at all.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Not sure where to start. First the only thing I ever said about the new park,was it was nice. Second I conceded the point on the light rail line.

Next thing I never said my list was impressive. I only said it was a good list of what was going on in Raleigh. Also it was on par with anything going on in Charlotte.

There are two reasons I am not impressed with the projects recently posted. One I am more interested in the amount of ground floor retail. In any project. More than its height. Two the ones posted are not much taller than a few being built in Raleigh. Not all DT some in MT but still. I'll list a few.

Tower III 28 stories
Tower II. 20 stories.
Charter Square North 24 at least?
Edison Office Building taller than Skyhouse Raleigh 20 stories I think
Skyhouse Raleigh
SECU HQ if you are not impressed with this building. You don't have eyes.
Citrix HQ
Wake Justice Center
Raleigh Union Station
Duel branded Marriott(Brier Creek)

As far as boring renovations. The link you posted from CCCP was full of renovations. Or did you forget that? A little info on a couple of those boring renovations. Boylan Pearce Building. An almost 100 year old building totally restored on Fayetteville Street. Far from boring. Death and Taxes Reno. Once again 100 year old building totally restored. But there's more it will be the home of 2014 James Beard Chef Ashley Christensen new flag ship restaurant. I know there are not James Beard award winning chefs there. Trust me though far from boring.

Speaking of parks Moore Square park 15,000,000 urbanization boring?

Moore Square Transit Station 12,000,000 that number is from memory. I could be off. But anyway boring? I'll bet money when it's finished it will look better than the one Uptown.

Almost forgot Carolina Ale House. 3 stories. Top floor Carolina Ale House. Flagship by the way. Retractable roof. Second floor separate restaurant. Can't remember exactly what kind. But it has been announced. I just forgot and too lazy to look it up. Bottom floor unannounced retail. All in the heart of Glenwood south. As a matter of fact. Across the street from the Gramercy. Sounds boring to me.

Aloft Hotel once again I know boring.

Once again I would love to see a side by side list. Not you and your fellow charlatans try to pick mine apart. For the record most of what is being built is cookie cutter. Let's not forget I was Uptown not even a month ago. So I have a good idea what's going on too.

Considering uptown is everything in the entire metro and DT is about a 3rd. I feel good about the situation.

Last thing I wouldn't get too cocky about the 42 story building quite yet. 2 30 story towers rumored DT. tower 4 MT supposed to be taller than tower III which will be 28 stories. Will surely keep y'all informed.
I'll repost since you must have missed it. tdm51. These are the reasons I said I was not impressed. Didn't make a big deal about the Ale House. You did. That being said the other two are nice,but when you find a three story " flagship " let me know. Until then I'll stand by my statement.

I would take Raleigh Union Station and Citrix over anything that I've seen on this thread. I did notice how you harped on the Ale House. Without say anything about the big projects listed above. Are those cookie cutter too?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'll repost since you must have missed it. tdm51. These are the reasons I said I was not impressed. Didn't make a big deal about the Ale House. You did. That being said the other two are nice,but when you find a three story " flagship " let me know. Until then I'll stand by my statement.

I would take Raleigh Union Station and Citrix over anything that I've seen on this thread. I did notice how you harped on the Ale House. Without say anything about the big projects listed above. Are those cookie cutter too?
There are 3 skyscrapers being built that are bigger than anything that currently exists in Raleigh with the exception of the PNC tower. You are biased. Sorry.

Dude its a chain restaurant, flagship? Honestly who cares. I'm glad you think citrix and the station are better. There are both awesome. There are also good things going on in Charlotte that the vast majority of people DO care about, and ARE impressed with. You are so biased and blind its unbelievable. Charlotte could be building the Burj Khalifa and you would shake your head at it. The Panthers could win the Superbowl and you would shake your head.

I could just as easily just say everything you posted is boring.. since that is all you do. But I actually like alot of the developments in Raleigh. Maybe you could stop being such a **** and give credit where credit is due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina