Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
Raleigh's economy is better suited for the long haul. Charlotte's is tied to the financial sector….and that's not counting if the banks decide to move their regional and corporate offices to another location, Charlotte would really drop then. RTP, healthcare, education will never leave the Triangle and are better equipped to ride the storm as you basically pointed out. Thens there's things like this: https://transferwise.com/blog/2014-0...ing-tech-hubs/

Are you referring to bank money that goes basically through Charlotte to the world market? I don't know if that counts as part of Charlotte's economic impact. This may be a better indicator:

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raleigh gamma
Charlotte gamma +

The difference is negligible
Not so any more. The banking sector is only 25% of the job market in Charlotte. I can see you do not see the Charlottes reports.

CMC Carolinas Healthcare System) is the largest hospital system in the State of North Carolina and one of the largest in the US.
The system has over 60,000 employees. Ranks 4 in North Carolina. The first hospital to perform a heart transplant, in North Carolina.

Novant Health, St. Jude team up to battle pediatric cancer
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...pediatric.html

Presbyterian School of Nursing
http://www.queens.edu/academics-and-...f-nursing.html

There are more hospital in Charlotte & Mecklenburg County than any other city or county in North Carolina.

Carolinas Medical Center (CMC), part of Carolinas HealthCare System, in Charlotte, NC, is a national leader in specialized care for a broad range of medical conditions. CMC is the largest research hospital in the region and one of five teaching hospitals in North Carolina.

There is a big difference to go from gamma to gamma +.
Charlotte Metro has the largest number of foreign companies in North Carolina 1,476 with 69,137 employees.

Charlotte Center city has more people working there, that RTP & downtown Raleigh, Center City has over 112,000 people working in Center City.

Charlotte has the 8 busiest airport in the USA with 40 foreign non stop flights.

The Triangle is not on the same level as Charlotte economy.

Charlotte, the second largest banking center with 2.2 trillion dollars.

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-03-2015 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Charlotte is adding more jobs that Raleigh. Charlotte metro GNP is twice than the Triangle.

Charlotte is adding 20,479 people a year to Raleigh adding 9,286 people a year.
last repot I saw was Charlotte has over 15,000 job to Raleigh 8,000 plus a year.
Charlotte is NOT adding more jobs then Raleigh. You ask why I post the same thing over and over? The Charlatan echo chamber needs to be torn down that's why.

Raleigh is kicking Charlotte's butt in post-recession job growth - Charlotte Business Journal

Can you do the math from the above link?? Raleigh is blowing Charlotte out of the water in BOTH jobs growth rate AND overall numbers. As long as there are those who insist on repeating the same myths about Charlotte I will be here to tear them down

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Smallest NBA Markets/ Largest non NBA Markets

Charlotte one of the smallest markets with an NBA team, Raleigh-Durham one of the largest markets without an NBA team.

This ranking shows three things:

1) Raleigh-Durham is one metro, especially when it comes to sports among other things.
2) Raleigh/Triangle is the size of Charlotte/Metrolina
2) The only reason Charlotte has a team and Raleigh doesn't is they have no collegiate powerhouses to compete with it.

However, if Raleigh-Durham were ever to get an NBA team that was as big an embarrassment as the Pelihorncats, I'd hope they would take a pass, exude the pun, lol
I'm very confused as to the point you were trying to make with this post and the similar, consecutive, sports-related posts that follow when:

1.) Each of the 15 smallest NBA-market cities are all larger than the Raleigh-Durham CSA (which is not an official metropolitan area as this poorly put together website apparently caused you to believe)

2.) Unless I missed a number, both Charlotte's television market (1,004,440) and metropolitan area (1,474,734) are larger than the combined Raleigh-Durham television market (966,720). So how exactly is Raleigh/Triangle the size of Charlotte/Metrolina?

3.) Taking a look at the other 14 smallest NBA-market cities, there are multiple cities that have highly recognizable collegiate powerhouse teams, while also having a NBA team, so your failed attempt at an excuse for the Raleigh area lacking in another Charlotte advantage is completely illogical and invalid.

Quote:
Raleigh's economy is better suited for the long haul. Charlotte's is tied to the financial sector….and that's not counting if the banks decide to move their regional and corporate offices to another location, Charlotte would really drop then. RTP, healthcare, education will never leave the Triangle and are better equipped to ride the storm as you basically pointed out. Thens there's things like this: https://transferwise.com/blog/2014-0...ing-tech-hubs/

Are you referring to bank money that goes basically through Charlotte to the world market? I don't know if that counts as part of Charlotte's economic impact. This may be a better indicator:

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raleigh gamma
Charlotte gamma +

The difference is negligible
That's because Raleigh's economy is focused almost entirely around the Research Park, which will continue to compete with Silicon Valley and Austin - much like Charlotte will compete with New York City as the second and first largest financial sector in the country respectively.

And no, I'm referring to GDP, something Raleigh severely lacks in for a city so prepared to "ride the storm"

Also, those rankings are from 2012. Hardly creditable anymore.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Not so any more. The banking sector is only 25% of the job market in Charlotte. I can see you do not see the Charlottes reports.
and energy, yea, that's stable, lol !

Old 05-03-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
and energy, yea, that's stable, lol !
Well... Duke Energy is the largest electric power holding company in the country...

Old 05-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I'm very confused as to the point you were trying to make with this post and the similar, consecutive, sports-related posts that follow when:

1.) Each of the 15 smallest NBA-market cities are all larger than the Raleigh-Durham CSA (which is not an official metropolitan area as this poorly put together website apparently caused you to believe)

2.) Unless I missed a number, both Charlotte's television market (1,004,440) and metropolitan area (1,474,734) are larger than the combined Raleigh-Durham television market (966,720). So how exactly is Raleigh/Triangle the size of Charlotte/Metrolina?

3.) Taking a look at the other 14 smallest NBA-market cities, there are multiple cities that have highly recognizable collegiate powerhouse teams, while also having a NBA team, so your failed attempt at an excuse for the Raleigh area lacking in another Charlotte advantage is completely illogical and invalid.

That's because Raleigh's economy is focused almost entirely around the Research Park, which will continue to compete with Silicon Valley and Austin - much like Charlotte will compete with New York City as the second and first largest financial sector in the country respectively.

And no, I'm referring to GDP, something Raleigh severely lacks in for a city so prepared to "ride the storm"

Also, those rankings are from 2012. Hardly creditable anymore.
Metrolina CSA 2,493,040 2,375,675 +4.94%
Triangle CSA 2,037,430 1,912,729 +6.52%

Banks are fickle, they'll leave town faster than the Charlotte Bobcats, lol. Then what? RTP isn't going anywhere, Duke, State, UNC aren't going anywhere, the world class medical centers aren't going anywhere, state government isn't going anywhere. Raleigh is considered an emerging global tech hub, Charlotte's not even in the top tier of global financial centers and never will be I'm afraid
https://transferwise.com/blog/2014-0...ing-tech-hubs/
The World's Top Financial Cities
Oh, and Charlotte is NOT competing with NYC banking and finance, no way, no how. Chicago perhaps, that's it in the US.

Where's Waldo….I mean Charlotte
http://www.investopedia.com/articles...eer-cities.asp

Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Well... Duke Energy is the largest electric power holding company in the country...
"Duke" Energy, can Charlotte do anything without piggy backing off of the Triangle? lol

Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
"Duke" Energy, can Charlotte do anything without piggy backing off of the Triangle? lol
Yes. Mr. Duke's investment in a Charlotte company that would become the largest power company in the United States centuries later is a great example.

Quote:
So as I stated before, Raleigh/Triangle is not larger than Charlotte/Metrolina.

Quote:
Banks are fickle, they'll leave town faster than the Charlotte Bobcats, lol. Then what? RTP isn't going anywhere, Duke, State, UNC aren't going anywhere, the world class medical centers aren't going anywhere, state government isn't going anywhere. Raleigh is considered an emerging global tech hub
Banking has been in Charlotte since before the first building in the Research Park was ever constructed. After numerous buy outs and merges, I'm sure the sector would have left by now if it planned to.

Quote:
Charlotte's not even in the top tier of global financial centers and never will be I'm afraid
I'm afraid you don't know the difference between national and global, do ya bud?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:

CMC Carolinas Healthcare System) is the largest hospital system in the State of North Carolina and one of the largest in the US.
The system has over 60,000 employees. Ranks 4 in North Carolina. The first hospital to perform a heart transplant, in North Carolina.

Novant Health, St. Jude team up to battle pediatric cancer
Novant Health, St. Jude team up to battle pediatric cancer - Charlotte Business Journal

Presbyterian School of Nursing
Presbyterian School of Nursing | Nursing Degrees | Charlotte, North Carolina

There are more hospital in Charlotte & Mecklenburg County than any other city or county in North Carolina.

Carolinas Medical Center (CMC), part of Carolinas HealthCare System, in Charlotte, NC, is a national leader in specialized care for a broad range of medical conditions. CMC is the largest research hospital in the region and one of five teaching hospitals in North Carolina.
Don't even try to pretend any Charlotte area hospitals is in the same league as Duke and UNC hospitals

Old 05-03-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yes. Mr. Duke's investment in a Charlotte company that would become the largest power company in the United States centuries later is a great example.

So as I stated before, Raleigh/Triangle is not larger than Charlotte/Metrolina.

Banking has been in Charlotte since before the first building in the Research Park was ever constructed. After numerous buy outs and merges, I'm sure the sector would have left by now if it planned to.

I'm afraid you don't know the difference between national and global, do ya bud?
I know Raleigh's a global emerging tech hub and in spite of Charlotte apparently having banks before RTP was a blip, yet Charlotte STILL isn't a global financial powerhouse, go figure in fact, there's a lot of cities right around Charlotte for the 2nd position, NYC is waaaay at the top. One bank merger is all it would take to topple Charlotte from the #2 slot nationally. Then so much for those bragging rights, lol

not the largest yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina