Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,784,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It looks like you know less than I thought.

Going by memory here UNC football 63,000 NC State football 60,000 Duke football 13,000 all ranked last year I think. At least 2 were ranked. By the way college football is bigger than the NBA now. It's not even close. As a matter of fact bigger than nascar and the NBA combined if I'm not mistaken,at least nationally.

Not to mention as we call it "Tobacco Road" Google it! Because you have no idea what you are talking about. Also referred to as the Triangles teams. Notice how Coach K says the Triangles team lol. Oh the article is from the Charlotte observer too. Thought that would help drive the point home lol

Triangle dancing with 3 teams in Sweet 16 | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer

Can you please stop now. You have been to Charlotte 1(ONE) time!!!!! Now you are an expert on Charlotte and the Triangle. To be honest you don't even know what Charlotte has to offer,not to mention the Triangle.

The biggest thing is you have the nerve to call someone (Raleigh540)an idiot and a troll. Maybe you should go look in the mirror. I think you will find someone who fits that description looking back at you

Also almost all of the Triangles college football/basketball games are nationally televised. Can't say that about the hornets can you?
LOL, no. UNC football averaged well under 60,000. NC State averaged under 55,000.

But look... if you think college sports are a bigger deal than pro sports, nothing is going to get through to you. College sports are biggest where there are no pro teams. When pro teams enter a market, college sports take a back seat because the competition is not as good. They are basically minor leagues. Inferior competition. Second rate.

And again LOL at beating your chest over a college team's wins and losses as some kind of indicator of a city's importance. Tuscaloosa, Alabama, must be the most important city on the planet, huh?

Last edited by steveklein; 05-04-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,521,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
LOL, no. UNC football averaged well under 60,000. NC State averaged under 55,000.

But look... if you think college sports are a bigger deal than pro sports, nothing is going to get through to you. College sports are biggest where there are no pro teams. When pro teams enter a market, college sports take a back seat because the competition is not as good. They are basically minor leagues. Inferior competition. Second rate.
No actually you're wrong. NFL by far is king granted. Next is MLB,close behind is College football.

College basketball is less popular nationally than the NBA. But not in N.C.. Nobody would tell you otherwise,with a straight face.

I actually think that College basketball may be more popular in N.C. than the NFL. Granted that would be close. Well if you just said NFL football. College basketball may lose. But if the question referred specifically to the panthers. College basketball would probably come out on top. The NFL is big,but this is Tobacco Road. Always a cut above the rest. College basketball heaven lol

What state are you trolling from btw. Because you obviously have no idea how important college basketball is in N.C.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,119 times
Quote:
Did I or did you or did we?????? I get confused sometimes lol. Somebody did

It needed doing. Wherever this joker came from. I wish he would go back.
And take that trash of the Hurricanes with you (plus I don't watch/like hockey)...and I bet you "guys" (lol) don't either or ever been to a game. I will miss hitting a few of the NBA and NFL games....sorry but collegiate sports is for college towns and pro sports is for major league cities. Plus the stadium and arena are in uptown/downtown Charlotte. What in the hell were these educated hillbillies in Raleigh thinking about? The RBC should be downtown but NC State and the royal educated cow herders run this overgrown cow pasture. I've been trying to muster up a reason the past two months since being back in Durham to visit downtown Raleigh....please oh mighty lords of ratings, give me a reason, I will try to reason with it and go there.

I'm so damn tired of hearing that the Triangle is the best in a gazillion different things that it makes my head spin. I hate the overhyped noise. Bout as much as I hate calling downtown uptown.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-04-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,784,329 times
Quote:
No actually you're wrong. NFL by far is king granted. Next is MLB,close behind is College football.

College basketball is less popular nationally than the NBA. But not in N.C.. Nobody would tell you otherwise,with a straight face.

I actually think that College basketball may be more popular in N.C. than the NFL. Granted that would be close. Well if you just said NFL football. College basketball may lose. But if the question referred specifically to the panthers. College basketball would probably come out on top. The NFL is big,but this is Tobacco Road. Always a cut above the rest. College basketball heaven lol
Like I said, pro sports are a bigger deal than college sports.

NFL > College football
NBA > College basketball

People are passionate about their own schools and in areas without pro teams, the public at large supports the college teams. Just like in areas without major college teams nearby, high school sports can rule the roost.

But nobody is prioritizing college basketball and moving to the Raleigh area. Many people consider the presence of pro franchises when locating to an area. The draw isn't just the Hornets... it is the fact that the best athletes in the world come to play in your town. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning come to play in Charlotte, not Raleigh. That is a draw.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:

What state are you trolling from btw. Because you obviously have no idea how important college basketball is in N.C.
You have lost your damn mind...there are probably more Cowboy (and closet Cowboy) fans in NC than Tarheel fans....toss in Redskins, Panthers, etc.

I know the Triangle, and the out of state transplants aren't glued to the TV screen for CBB. Pro Football, even the Panthers probably generate higher ratings than regular season UNC or Duke games. Only the Duke/UNC game rivalry might....might...maybe compete with the NFL. The NFL is a beast. So is college football but college football in the Triangle is 2nd rate compared to the SEC. The SEC in Charlotte is much deeper than the Triangle based on my observations...UGA, USCe (Gamecocks), UTenn, etc. Hell, Clemson is in SEC country...deep, deep in Charlotte.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,521,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And take that trash of the Hurricanes with you (plus I don't watch/like hockey)...and I bet you "guys" (lol) don't either or ever been to a game. I will miss hitting a few of the NBA and NFL games....sorry but collegiate sports is for college towns and pro sports is for major league cities. Plus the stadium and arena are in uptown/downtown Charlotte. What in the hell are this educated hillbillies in Raleigh thinking about? The RBC should be downtown but NC State and the royal educated cow herders run this overgrown cow pasture. I've been trying to muster up a reason the past two months since being back in Durham to visit downtown Raleigh....please oh might lords of ratings, give me a reason, I will try to reason with it and go there.

I'm so damn tired of hearing that the Triangle is the best in a gazillion different things that it makes my head spin. I hate the overhyped noise. Bout as much as I hate calling downtown uptown.

Why did you move here? Oh because you found a better job! At SAS. SAS is located where? In Cary,what is Cary? Raleigh's primary suburb.

Why didn't you stay in your beloved Charlotte? Maybe because there is NOTHING in charlotte or Charlotte's metro that can match SAS,NOTHING!!!!!! Oh widely acknowledged as on of the best places to work on EARTH!!!!!!!!

Looks like you come to Raleigh often huh? What a joke lol

To your last post. You're nuts,and wrong as usual! How did your last prediction go? You know about the Triangles teams getting bounced early? Look back a few posts. You will see the article I posted. All three made the sweet 16. 1 won it all,surprise lol.

Last thing when my heels meet the gamecocks in boa stadium this fall. Looks like we will see how small time college basketball is,huh Big AH?????????

Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,053,127 times
I'm not sure the NBA is more popular than college basketball...the NCAA playoffs is one of the most-watched events of the year. And college football has a rabid fan base that I don't see replicated in the NFL. All of them are popular, but college football/basketball seem to have the most fans - and it is probably because there are so many college teams saturating the U.S where the NFL/NBA only has a limited number.

But I feel sure it is more prestigious for a city to have professional sports than college sports.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Why did you move here? Oh because you found a better job! At SAS. SAS is located where? In Cary,what is Cary? Raleigh's primary suburb.

Why didn't you stay in your beloved Charlotte? Maybe because there is NOTHING in charlotte or Charlotte's metro that can match SAS,NOTHING!!!!!! Oh widely acknowledged as on of the best places to work on EARTH!!!!!!!!

Looks like you come to Raleigh often huh? What a joke lol

To your last post. You're nuts,and wrong as usual! How did your last prediction go? You know about the Triangles teams getting bounced early? Look back a few posts. You will see the article I posted. All three made the sweet 16. 1 won it all,surprise lol.
Actually, I travel a lot in the region and work mostly from home but they do have a great campus there (consultant). I did not find a better job but wanted to be based closer to family for a number of reasons (older parents, etc).

Come on R540, I love the Triangle but all these overhyped ratings are over the top...it ain't all that. I have actually lived all over the US...where have you lived to compare?

The truth is Charlotte has a much more vibrant and energetic downtown than Raleigh and at least the sports teams give me a reason to go there. I've done tons of museums, #1 rated in real cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, etc...so, well, oh well. And places with real art districts....

Yes, Duke got hot and won it all, I am glad and was happy to be wrong... You and your twin are wrong about many things....as usual, lol...

Edit: My point was about downtown Raleigh, give me a reason to frequent and I will. But Durham/Chapel Hill and surrounding areas does the trick. I will pay a bit more attention to see if any festivals or activities fit the bill. I don't do Bluegrass, etc..

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-04-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Actually, I travel a lot in the region and work mostly from home but they do have a great campus there (consultant). I did not find a better job but wanted to be based closer to family for a number of reasons (older parents, etc).

Come on R540, I love the Triangle but all these overhyped ratings are over the top...it ain't all that. I have actually lived all over the US...where have you lived to compare?

The truth is Charlotte has a much more vibrant and energetic downtown than Raleigh and at least the sports teams give me a reason to go there. I've done tons of museums, #1 rated in real cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, etc...so, well, oh well. And places with real art districts....

Yes, Duke got hot and won it all, I am glad and was happy to be wrong... You and your twin are wrong about many things....as usual, lol...
Raleigh IS great and has a lot going for it...and is nationally recognized as a good city for a lot of reasons. But disparaging Charlotte doesn't make Raleigh any better, so it's hard to understand why some people want to do this. It appears to be classic inferiority complex, and there is no need for someone from Raleigh to feel like his city is inferior.

I have seen it on other sites (and this one to some extent) where some people from Greensboro always seem to have to one-up everything about Winston-Salem...it doesn't make their city any better to act like that.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,446,098 times
The best high school football and college football is not in North Carolina, but Texas. I lived there I know.
Duke, UNC and State would not have a chance in Texas.

Texas and Texas A&M football game is bigger than anything I have seen in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina