Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,308,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Sadly there's nothing in the works like that. The tallest we can expect in the near future is a 350-foot building, which will make a difference (for Raleigh) but won't be transformative.

I think there's a hotel missing from the block to the east of Charter Square, which was also proposed. That would make four new hotels which the area definitely needs. Otherwise... most of the growth downtown will continue to be lowrise apartments and retail.
From what I'm seeing it looks nice. The midrise buildings that Raleigh is adding is enough to transform the skyline and make it look more like a city of 1+million. Some taller buildings I'm sure will come in the next 10-15 years (purely speculation) but I'm liking the map that you posted.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,162,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Not at all honestly. Why can't Raleigh be original then saying its their version of Central Park. If the city is so great then market it as as something Raleigh came up with. Not something from a world class city and saying hey we have that also because you don't. Does Raleigh have rail going to the park. Hmm not at all but Charlottes light rail extension will have a stop at first ward park. I'm just saying since Raleigh540 wants to post articles on why this city is so great, why copy another city's park?
How many acres is first ward park going to be?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,075 times
Central Park is an urban park in the central part of the borough of Manhattan, New York City. It was initially opened in 1857, on 778 acres of city-owned land, later expanding to its current size of 843 acres.

Dix will not be like Central Park in New York City, I don't care how you try to sell it as Central Park
New York City is the only city in the USA with a park like this. It Raleigh get to 8 Million and 109,720 Skyscrapers maybe.
New York City -Cities with at least 100 completed / topped-out skyscrapers above 150m
New York City - List of cities with the most buildings taller than 100m - 109,720

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-05-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Central Park is an urban park in the central part of the borough of Manhattan, New York City. It was initially opened in 1857, on 778 acres of city-owned land, later expanding to its current size of 843 acres.

Dix will not be like Central Park in New York City, I don't care how you try to sell it as Central Park
New York City is the only city in the USA with a park like this. It Raleigh get to 8 Million and 237 Skyscrapers maybe.
That's what they're calling it "Raleigh Central Park". Take it up with them.

Dix is 308 acres, a whopping over 1/3 the size of Central Park in NYC (I think you can tell from your photo above how big Raleigh's urban destination park is going to be) it's adjacent to downtown Raleigh.

Freedom Park is 98 acres and 3 miles from uptown.

So you tell me, which is more comparable to the original Central Park?

Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post

Dix is 308 acres, a whopping over 1/3 the size of Central Park in NYC (I think you can tell from your photo above how big Raleigh's urban destination park is going to be) it's adjacent to downtown Raleigh.

We are just happy with Freedom Park. We are not in a contest for the biggest park. quality counts for one thing. Charlotte is in the process of building another park uptown which will give us 4 parks by Mecklenburg County. Charlotte does not need a 300 acres park in uptown Charlotte
Other Parks in Uptown and Center City,

Romare Bearden Park (not picture)

4th Ward Park

Park on Tryon Street

The Green

Sugar Creek Green Way

Marshall Park

Charlotte skyline as seen from greenway - Picture of Little Sugar Creek Greenway, Charlotte - TripAdvisor

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-05-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 04:30 PM

743 posts, read 826,586 times
Quote:

Freedom Park is located between Dilworth & Myers Park which are both close to Uptown.Freedom Park is connected to Uptown via the Sugar Creek Greenway. So it really depends on which side of Uptown you live in are far as distance is concerned

Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Freedom Park is located between Dilworth & Myers Park which are both close to Uptown.Freedom Park is connected to Uptown via the Sugar Creek Greenway. So it really depends on which side of Uptown you live in are far as distance is concerned
Is it 300 acres and adjacent to downtown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...North_Carolina)

Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
From what I'm seeing it looks nice. The midrise buildings that Raleigh is adding is enough to transform the skyline and make it look more like a city of 1+million. Some taller buildings I'm sure will come in the next 10-15 years (purely speculation) but I'm liking the map that you posted.
I kinda like it better, of course I prefer DC and Paris to about any high rise place you could name.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Sadly there's nothing in the works like that. The tallest we can expect in the near future is a 350-foot building, which will make a difference (for Raleigh) but won't be transformative.

I think there's a hotel missing from the block to the east of Charter Square, which was also proposed. That would make four new hotels which the area definitely needs. Otherwise... most of the growth downtown will continue to be lowrise apartments and retail.
The hotel that is missing will be next to McDonalds,behind Charter Square South. It's rumored to be a Embassy Suites,but I can't confirm that.

I forgot about the Reynolds site hotel. Is that at the old greyhound station? I can't tell?

If I had to guess all the proposals will probably happen fingers crossed.(from your pic). Maybe not the Reynolds hotel,seems weak to me,but who knows.

The next big shoe to drop will be the N&O site. I'm sure they are asking for two arms and a leg for that prime lot. I would imagine anything built there would have to be big,to justify the price of the land. Anything over 25 stories would be very prominent.

I personally am not too concerned with the tallest anything. From what I've seen coming down the pipeline I'm more than pleased with Downtowns progress.

Dix will pull DT south eventually right outside its gates.

Union Station will really boost the Warehouse District. Along with Citrix.

Not to mention the other great plans for DT. It may not ever be the tallest,but it'll be pretty good.

Best New Restaurants: 12 To Watch | Southern Living Blog

Charlotte vs. Raleigh?-image.jpg

This little building will get plenty of state and national attention. I hope Death and Taxes opens soon. I've been looking forward to checking it out for a while. If it opens soon maybe I can get a reservation before ChristmasIf I'm lucky it will be a madhouse.

Btw Vantos there are two buildings Kane proposed. One office one residential. Max 20 stories. I've never known Kane to downsize anything. With this being his first project in,in such a prominent location. I'm expecting his best work.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 PM

363 posts, read 445,225 times
Quote:
I kinda like it better, of course I prefer DC and Paris to about any high rise place you could name.
Oops. This is Paris btw

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina