Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM

160 posts, read 235,224 times

Advertisements

First, it appears like this is a fringe issue that doesn't have overwhelming public support.

It also seems like that when the legalized medical Marijuana in California, the medical requirements became so lax that it made real medical usage a joke. It's hard for me now to see an argument for medical marijuana anywhere as little more than a thinly veiled attempt at starting the process of legalizing it for general use.

Fair or not, that's how it seems to me. I'm not surprised the politicians wanted no part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
First, it appears like this is a fringe issue that doesn't have overwhelming public support.

It also seems like that when the legalized medical Marijuana in California, the medical requirements became so lax that it made real medical usage a joke. It's hard for me now to see an argument for medical marijuana anywhere as little more than a thinly veiled attempt at starting the process of legalizing it for general use.

Fair or not, that's how it seems to me. I'm not surprised the politicians wanted no part of it.
It wasn't written to be passed. It was written to throw a middle finger to the "establishment". If only the GOP is to blame why wasn't it introduced last year? I'll tell you. The advocates that wrote the bill weren't done yet.

Read the bill. The first two pages have nothing to do with law making.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy4 View Post
The GOP-controlled North Carolina House Rules Committee killed a medical marijuana legalization bill earlier this February, after lawmakers complained that backers of the measure were bothering them with requests for their support

"We did it to be done with it, so people could move on for the session," said Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam, R-Wake. He said lawmakers we're being "harassed" with phone calls and emails about medical marijuana.
I don't see how your supposition is proven by what you pasted here. As a supposition fine but if you are claiming fact you'll need more than that quote.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM

203 posts, read 413,086 times
Thumbs down Some Lawmakers are just a Public Disgrace!

Any government that doesn't serve the interests of its citizens should be altered or abolished.

Regardless of which issue might be involved, any politician anywhere who dares to say that his constituents "annoyed" him with their requests for legislative changes has by that very statement proven that he is UNFIT to hold public office, and should be impeached or recalled immediately if possible.

Or at the very least, NEVER elected or re-elected to ANY public office ever again.

If "Skip" Stam (R-Wake) is "annoyed" by the people he was elected to represent, then he should not be representing them anymore. And those Wake voters who have a shred of integrity or honor left in their souls should be out working hard to get rid of such an arrogant, disgraceful, lowlife scumbag.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Any government that doesn't serve the interests of its citizens should be altered or abolished.

Regardless of which issue might be involved, any politician anywhere who dares to say that his constituents "annoyed" him with their requests for legislative changes has by that very statement proven that he is UNFIT to hold public office, and should be impeached or recalled immediately if possible.

Or at the very least, NEVER elected or re-elected to ANY public office ever again.

If "Skip" Stam (R-Wake) is "annoyed" by the people he was elected to represent, then he should not be representing them anymore. And those Wake voters who have a shred of integrity or honor left in their souls should be out working hard to get rid of such an arrogant, disgraceful, lowlife scumbag.
Why did you put the word "annoyed" in quotes? You aren't quoting anyone.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,557 times
I think if these "representatives" were annoyed by the level of support of this bill, we should really give them something to be annoyed about and let them have it for killing a bill - any bill - because of such an asinine reason.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I think if these "representatives" were annoyed by the level of support of this bill, we should really give them something to be annoyed about and let them have it for killing a bill - any bill - because of such an asinine reason.
The thing is, the OP doesn't say which side was doing the harassing. Am I missing something or is this inference?

I'd like to see where any lawmaker says they were annoyed at the level of support or that there was any support at all. I think it's quite possible that the contacts that they were tired from were on the anti side.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 AM

106 posts, read 318,391 times
The bottom line is that no matter how practical and violent-crime-reducing the legalization of marijuana may be, the Tarheel Taliban in power cannot be seen as soft on moral issues.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,222 times
Default Reading is a skill..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The thing is, the OP doesn't say which side was doing the harassing. Am I missing something or is this inference?

I'd like to see where any lawmaker says they were annoyed at the level of support or that there was any support at all. I think it's quite possible that the contacts that they were tired from were on the anti side.
Read over the thread again, you missed it. The phoned in support was clearly coming from the people in support of legalizing medical marijuana. At the public debate there were many proponents and only one person against.

Also, across the country the majority now supports medical marijuana laws.

To answer another poster, just because California's state legislature has failed to provide regulations and CA has become the poster child on how to do this the wrong way, does not taint the other programs going on in other states like New Jersey, CO, Washington State, etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Read over the thread again, you missed it. The phoned in support was clearly coming from the people in support of legalizing medical marijuana. At the public debate there were many proponents and only one person against.

Also, across the country the majority now supports medical marijuana laws.

To answer another poster, just because California's state legislature has failed to provide regulations and CA has become the poster child on how to do this the wrong way, does not taint the other programs going on in other states like New Jersey, CO, Washington State, etc.
I guess cut and paste is too difficult for some to back up a claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: