Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM

18 posts, read 18,647 times

Advertisements

The GOP-controlled North Carolina House Rules Committee killed a medical marijuana legalization bill earlier this February, after lawmakers complained that backers of the measure were bothering them with requests for their support.

As WRAL's N.C. Capitol blog reports, lawmakers allowed only 20 minutes of public debate on the legislation before deciding to give it an "unfavorable report." An infrequently used procedure, such an action effectively prevents any further medical marijuana legalization bills from being considered by the General Assembly this session.

A state Republican explained the extraordinary maneuver to N.C. Capital blog:

"We did it to be done with it, so people could move on for the session," said Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam, R-Wake. He said lawmakers we're being "harassed" with phone calls and emails about medical marijuana.
The medical marijuana movement has seen some support in North Carolina, and on Wednesday, Catherine Lyles, a 51-year-old brain cancer survivor testified before lawmakers, telling them that marijuana had allowed her to regain her appetite after treatment. Medical marijuana advocates reportedly heavily outnumbered the single opponent who appeared at the hearing, but lawmakers were apparently unmoved by the showing of support.

Does this annoy anyone else as much as me. Not that this is the most relevant issue on the table but it is a relevant issue that is apparently important to many North Carolinians. What is your take on the matter. Also does any one have a legitimate reason cannabis should still be illegal? This is 2013 and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
I don't use it, but I don't see why it should be illegal. They legalized it in Michigan if you had a card and it's not like the streets were flooded with hippies. I did notice more people in the white castle drive thru though.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,627 times
heaven forebid they be herassed' to do their job tax payer's, pay them to do.

If there was a strong support of the bill..you don't trash it just because you are annoyed. Even if there was a strong support against it you still don't trash it because you are annoyed you're being exspected to do your job. You let them vote on it and decide yes or no.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 18,647 times
Yes, the issue in this state is the will of the people no longer means anything. This is shown clearly in our leaders attitudes. They also overrode a veto on two bills vetoed by the governor. One that authorized fracking in NC and the other to give themselves a pay raise. Obviously fracking is bad for the environment and these guys don't deserve a pay raise. I find it funny that Tim Moore who has his nose stuck in a lot of these issues surrounding natural gas was the VP of a natural gas company for 12 years before he was elected. The people of NC are going to have to wise up and stop voting these rich, egotistical, self-centered hypocrites into office.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
since you asked for opinion, IMO

advocates and 'believers' can taint any issue from serious consideration. a little more balance is usually more successful.

on any issue, on any side

Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,410 times
Since when is asking your congress person to support or back a bill harassment?? That is insulting and maddening regardless of the issue. I don't think it will be long before it is legal, but I would guess we will be one of the last states to allow it.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
If they make it legal it will hurt the profits of the illegal alien ran drug cartels..We cant have that.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
A government tired of hearing from the people they represent... unreal. They make sure they get raises and satisfy their "base" (aka lobbyists and campaign financiers) - everyone else is "bothering" them. I sure hope people are paying attention when it's time to reelect these clowns.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

384 posts, read 596,285 times
I have not smoked MJ for 20 years now but I am all for legalization.

The legal drug in America, alcohol, can be consumed with virtual impunity however. Alcohol is by far the most harmful drug today.

There are a couple of interesting studies out that clearly show alcohol is much more of a "gateway" drug than MJ. That blasts a hole in one of the primary arguments against legalizing it.

I love visiting NC but the politicians there are still in the Stone Age.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,692 times
I don't even care the bill was killed, as much as I care that the reason it was killed is that people supported it and contacted their REPRESENTATIVES and voiced said support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: