Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM

18 posts, read 18,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Sounds like you're just trying to rationalize it away.

I suspect that the reduction in drug crime will not be as large as you believe. The drug dealers & cartels are not idealists, they're businesses run by criminals. They'll find something else to push.

As an "average Joe" in this discussion, the arguments of "increased taxation" and "it's just too hard to prosecute" don't win me over. As a society, we're running around trying to get healthier - just look at all the anti-smoking efforts and other healthy eating campaigns going on. That's not to mention all the energy we spend dealing with people hooked on prescription drugs. If marijuana is as harmless as you say, then why are people so driven to get their hands on it that they risk jail and in turn support the illicit drug trade. It just seems like it's something that we're probably generally better off without.
The real question is... Why should someone go to jail over a mostly benign substance.
If it were not illegal then I would not risk anything by choosing this substance over say...alcohol. I have health issues from serving in the Iraq war, and I choose a natural pain reliever and anti-anxiety medicine. If you wanna shove the liver killing pills down your throat, go ahead, but keep them the hell away from me. i know where you can find the drugs that are really detrimental to society. Just go visit your local pharmacy.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-11-2013 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: tos violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 PM

160 posts, read 235,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The money and resource savings and very likely substantial tax revenue...
are gravy for doing the common sense thing. It's a no-brainer.
It's a no-brainer if you believe that marijuana is a fine substance to legalize. However, being concerned about it's effects on people that consume it, I'd be hesitant to jump to that conclusion.

Quote:
On that basis we should make tobacco illegal. Think that will happen?

btw MJ is not a "gateway" drug. If there is any "gateway effect" that would be incidental to being
illegal with unsophisticated users being exposed to people selling other illegal substances.

hth
The cat's already out of the bag on Tobacco. Given the billions we've spent and the millions of people that have died from using it, I think there are a great many that wished it had been illegal all along.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
It's a no-brainer if you believe that marijuana is a fine substance to legalize.
As a natural state agricultural product it should be legal by default.
That is really all there is to it and especially as regards the ill people who could use it.

If you're concerned that you wouldn't have the fortitude to not abuse it if legally available...
I'll assume you have good reason to not trust yourself and agree that you shouldn't indulge.
But it doesn't need to be illegal for that to happen. All you have to do is "say no".

As for the rest of us... seeya.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy4 View Post
The real question is... Why should someone go to jail over a mostly benign substance. Your post just shows how brainwashed you are. "Well, I guess if the police and politicians say it is bad it must be true... after all, they wouldn't lie to us."
Not brainwashed, just skeptical. It's the public health establishment that says it's bad. They've given me a lifetime of facts to state it is bad. On the other hand, the only arguments in favor of legalizing it seem to be largely from folks who just want to use it. Looking at it objectively, I'm more likely to believe the much better presented, and thereby more convincing, case they present. At the end of the day, I'm at least saying - prove it to me.

mod cut: orphan
Quote:
If it were not illegal then I would not risk anything by choosing this substance over say...alcohol. I have health issues from serving in the Iraq war, and I choose a natural pain reliever and anti-anxiety medicine. If you wanna shove the liver killing pills down your throat, go ahead, but keep them the hell away from me. i know where you can find the drugs that are really detrimental to society. Just go visit your local pharmacy.
I'm truly sorry for your illness. I've got no issue with a marijuana usage for truly medicinal purposes. It's unfortunate for your cause that people wrap legalization for recreational usage up in the same argument.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: orphan: the replied to post was edited

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As a natural state agricultural product it should be legal by default.
That is really all there is to it and especially as regards the ill people who could use it.

If you're concerned that you wouldn't have the fortitude to not abuse it if legally available...
I'll assume you have good reason to not trust yourself and agree that you shouldn't indulge.
But it doesn't need to be illegal for that to happen. All you have to do is "say no".
We both know that's not what I said.

Quote:
As for the rest of us... seeya.
Agreed!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Is there any way to appeal this with yet another petition or something? That is ridiculous. Obviously if we are "harassing" you its because its something the people care about. isnt that who you represent when youre a representative? the people of the state youre a representative of??? golly gee willickers.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,282 times
Yeah, **** what the public wants. The G.A. has to focus its efforts on cleavage and cursive.

Medical marijuana would be an excellent way to bring in new revenue and stimulate the economy. Marijuana's usefulness as a treatment for many ailments and its less severe side effects when compared to other drugs are both well understood by medical science.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 18,647 times
All I am saying is that as an edible or vaporized cannabis is actually healthy for your body. Raw cannabis consumed as a smoothie is very healthy from everything I have read. The ill effects are all from smoking it. I know they say that long term use may lead to mental illness but I believe that most that fall susceptible to mental illness may have already been prone to those illnesses. We need real, hard, scientific research which until recently has been greatly oppressed. Now studies are showing various health benefits that cannabis may have. Cannabis was made illegal for racial and ethical reasons that had no real scientific basis. The medical research that was done even back then stated that marijuana did not seem to be a overly harmful substance. There has been a lot of fear mongering concerning this plant and it makes people who genuinely benefit from it a little angry because we don't see the rational in criminalizing someone like myself. I work a 40 hour week and I have a happy family. That would not be possible without cannabis. If you don't believe me then you should have seen me two years ago. I was introduced to cannabis on a legal platform as a medical patient in WA state. Now that I have found something that works... when I move, I suddenly become a criminal. I should not have to live with that fear of possibly having my family torn apart over something like this. In the end it is a plant and therefore perfectly natural.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

11 posts, read 12,739 times
back to the top, kind of like where this bill needs to go, recycle it as many times as needed. Slippery slope once 2 states are there. 3 more and you have 10% and it'll be more slippery. When uncle sames gets his cut, itll be prevalent everywhere

Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy4 View Post
All I am saying is that as an edible or vaporized cannabis is actually healthy for your body. Raw cannabis consumed as a smoothie is very healthy from everything I have read. The ill effects are all from smoking it. I know they say that long term use may lead to mental illness but I believe that most that fall susceptible to mental illness may have already been prone to those illnesses. We need real, hard, scientific research which until recently has been greatly oppressed. Now studies are showing various health benefits that cannabis may have. Cannabis was made illegal for racial and ethical reasons that had no real scientific basis. The medical research that was done even back then stated that marijuana did not seem to be a overly harmful substance. There has been a lot of fear mongering concerning this plant and it makes people who genuinely benefit from it a little angry because we don't see the rational in criminalizing someone like myself. I work a 40 hour week and I have a happy family. That would not be possible without cannabis. If you don't believe me then you should have seen me two years ago. I was introduced to cannabis on a legal platform as a medical patient in WA state. Now that I have found something that works... when I move, I suddenly become a criminal. I should not have to live with that fear of possibly having my family torn apart over something like this. In the end it is a plant and therefore perfectly natural.
IMO, it has been about tax revenue as it is very difficult to to tax something anyone can grow. Examining the pharmeceutical industry lends support because everything is chemical based and produced in a controlled environment under strict ferderal guidelines, yet many of the drugs produced can be as addictive as any potent illegal narcotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: