Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times

Advertisements

Haymount is indeed expensive

I would suggest some of the neighborhoods close to Bragg, such as Loch Lomond, Devonwood, Southgate. There are very suburbn style, cookiecutter type neighborhoods but you dont hear of as much crime in these areas as others

I will respectfully disagree with others that rough areas are easy to avoid

Bragg Blvd is pretty rough, and it;s the main drag. Yadkin Rd and Ramsey St are also pretty rough, and main roads. Eastern Blvd is completely awful, but again a main area. IMO living here for a little over a year, the closer to Bragg you are the saferit seems. Looking at the crime report, there were 2 break ins in my neighborhood last night (likely done by the same criminal). It is a big big neighborhood, though.

Also....hope you like 5 minute red lights and u-turns lol

Just last week we stopped at a gas station on Bragg Blvd and therewere 3 huge black guys out front all tatted up with dreadlocks, wearing wifebeaters and gold teeth, smoking something suspiciously smelly just hanging out in front saying niqqa this niqqa that fck that fck this, as 2 homeless people on bicycle begged, and a big ol escalade on 24's pulled up with his 2 15's blasting. it's a seedy area man, no doubt about it. high crime rate compared to most US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,731 times
Did anything happen to you at the gas station or you just didn't like the way people looked. I drive on the roads you mentioned all the time and nothing has ever happened to me. If you are trying to avoid black people, that would be hard; they make up 41.9% of the population of Fayetteville.

That was a little snarky but there are nice and not so nice neighborhoods in every part of the area. Some places near Fort Bragg are not so nice. You can't really make a blanket statement like that. Your experience here is more a matter of the company you keep.

I won't dispute two issues, traffic is bad and the crime rate is too high for our size.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
I think it's pretty easy to avoid the sketchy areas of Bragg Blvd. I never spent much time over there. I hung out at the mall and the MacPherson Church Rd area. Morganton Rd is a nicer area.

Hey, I saw they're tearing down that hotel downtown and building some swank condos and apartments there. That could be nice. No love lost on that hotel. My cousin stayed there once when it was a Sheraton (we invited them to stay at the house, but they wouldn't hear of it) and somebody tried to sell them drugs there at the Sheraton.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Seriously, all you idiots with stereotypical comments about Fayetteville need to do us all a favor and take a dive from the Skibo overpass onto the All-American. You guys are annoying......@faabaala, this guy didnt experience any trouble at the gas station, he just feels like pointing out that it was on Bragg. lol, he blacks are unavoidable in the city, and he's in the wrong place if he's bother by urban AA style, because he will find it anywhere he goes. However, there are many less seedy areas of town, obviously...

For the OP, if he wants somewhere 'close' to Fayetteville but not in the city, I wouldnt stray any farther than the Overhills, or Hoke County. Not with gas the way it is if he's working in the city, coupled with the fact that there are many nice subdivisions in those areas...

However, the City itself has plenty of nice living options, neighborhoods and subdivisions. Sure, crime is a problem in Fayetteville, but if he chooses to live in an urban environment, that kind of just comes with the territory. To be more forthright, though, its not as if every citizen in the city is a walking target. Its not as widespread as it would appear...

Haymount/Vanstory area is extremely beautiful, and probably the quintessential urban hood in the city. There are apartments and houses that are affordable, although as someone pointed out Haymount is largely expensive real estate. It is very easy to avoid Haymont Hill/Savoy Heights, which is the ghetto underlayer of Haymount, but I would argue that that area adds character to the neighborhood...

Owen/Raeford Rd is urban and largely affordable. McPherson Church/Morganton is beatiful, though pricey; and the Westside has regular break-in issues, but not as much violent crime as other parts of the city, and lovely neighborhoods. Advise him to look into the Seventy-First area, middle-toupper middle-class living, Cliffdale west of Reilly, Stoney Point/Rockfish. There are pplenty of desirable areas in the city...

The problem with Fayetteville is finding adequate entertainment options, but that is a whole other topic and is dependent on what exactly one's hobbies and interests are. Many city residents enjoy the simple life...

Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Did anything happen to you at the gas station or you just didn't like the way people looked. I drive on the roads you mentioned all the time and nothing has ever happened to me. If you are trying to avoid black people, that would be hard; they make up 41.9% of the population of Fayetteville.

That was a little snarky but there are nice and not so nice neighborhoods in every part of the area. Some places near Fort Bragg are not so nice. You can't really make a blanket statement like that. Your experience here is more a matter of the company you keep.

I won't dispute two issues, traffic is bad and the crime rate is too high for our size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Seriously, all you idiots with stereotypical comments about Fayetteville need to do us all a favor and take a dive from the Skibo overpass onto the All-American. You guys are annoying......@faabaala, this guy didnt experience any trouble at the gas station, he just feels like pointing out that it was on Bragg. lol, he blacks are unavoidable in the city, and he's in the wrong place if he's bother by urban AA style, because he will find it anywhere he goes. However, there are many less seedy areas of town, obviously...

For the OP, if he wants somewhere 'close' to Fayetteville but not in the city, I wouldnt stray any farther than the Overhills, or Hoke County. Not with gas the way it is if he's working in the city, coupled with the fact that there are many nice subdivisions in those areas...

However, the City itself has plenty of nice living options, neighborhoods and subdivisions. Sure, crime is a problem in Fayetteville, but if he chooses to live in an urban environment, that kind of just comes with the territory. To be more forthright, though, its not as if every citizen in the city is a walking target. Its not as widespread as it would appear...

Haymount/Vanstory area is extremely beautiful, and probably the quintessential urban hood in the city. There are apartments and houses that are affordable, although as someone pointed out Haymount is largely expensive real estate. It is very easy to avoid Haymont Hill/Savoy Heights, which is the ghetto underlayer of Haymount, but I would argue that that area adds character to the neighborhood...

Owen/Raeford Rd is urban and largely affordable. McPherson Church/Morganton is beatiful, though pricey; and the Westside has regular break-in issues, but not as much violent crime as other parts of the city, and lovely neighborhoods. Advise him to look into the Seventy-First area, middle-toupper middle-class living, Cliffdale west of Reilly, Stoney Point/Rockfish. There are pplenty of desirable areas in the city...

The problem with Fayetteville is finding adequate entertainment options, but that is a whole other topic and is dependent on what exactly one's hobbies and interests are. Many city residents enjoy the simple life...
Iwill try to address both of these, even though I've drank a pint of whiskey in the past hour....

Ayways, no, nothing happened at the gas station. But I feel that is irrelevant, it was nerveracking enough. I am not a racist (I am white, and my girlfriend/4 kids are black, as is my grandfather) but seeing like I said 3 huge black guys with gold teeth and tear drop tattoos smoking weed in the open public in front of a crappy gas station with homeless people begging and "gangsta" cars with 22's rollin in blastin their 2 15's, hearing them shout "nah f*** you n*gg* that b*tch f*ck*d all them n*gg*s man f*ck that b*tch n*gg*!" kind of had me worried. and this type of thing happens all over fayetteville. i'm sure you all heard about the girl who was kidnapped and raped inside the fayetteville mall, as well as the little girl (4 years old?) who was kidnapped raped and murdered in exchange for drug debt. there is NO denying this is a seedy friggin area - i'm not making it up. i live here.

and for the record, i like fayetteville for the most part. i wish it wasless ghetto, but i do like it. there is plenty to do, there ARE nice neighborhoods, and FTCC/FSU are great schools. if you arent a crackhead or hooker you shouldnt have any problems in fayetteville (unless you are one of the unlucky victims of a break in, but there is no telling where/when that will happen in this city, just asmany other large cities of 200k people)

sorry that you guys disagree. but what i'm stating is completely objective. you can read it all in the fayettevilleobserver. i have a major love/hate relationship with fay based on my 1.5 years here

for anyonemoving to the area...this is what it looks like to drive through the heart of fayetteville:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBgxT_Wnsg

Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
At first glance pretty ,good southern hospitality and quiet ,then you ll see terrible driving horrendous crime kinda like bronx ny and people have no class at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina