Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,494,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
The Supreme court ruling was very narrow and specific. But let's just tear up our state constitution and eliminate democracy at the state level. It all resides in Washington.
If a state constitute violates the federal constitutional protection of equal protection under the law and substantive due process, then by all means, enthusiastically strike down and kill that offending state constitutional provision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
If a state constitute violates the federal constitutional protection of equal protection under the law and substantive due process, then by all means, enthusiastically strike down and kill that offending state constitutional provision.
As long as it's done through the courts. It would be ironic if North Carolina ends up to be the case that finally gets this figured since we're not chicken and selfish like the ones in power in California.

N.C. could have made this ACLU case drag on by not agreeing to the amending of the complaint. But we didn't.

I'm calling you out California.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,537,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The issue is that Christians somehow got the idea that the institution of marriage is theirs--as if they invented the thing, as if it hadn't been around for thousands of years in hundreds of different cultures before them. They've set about imposing Christian rules for marriage on the rest of us, despite the fact that our country's Constitution is not supposed to favor any particular religion.

Marriage in our society is a legal and secular institution, not a religious one. It is and always has been an economic arrangement.
Exactly!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,761,931 times
I am sorry for the pain so many of you feel. I hope the lawsuit works and your pain can be eliminated.

lln

PS: After being married 30+ years, turns out marriage ain't all that great after all, but you will find this out yourselves!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The issue is that Christians somehow got the idea that the institution of marriage is theirs--as if they invented the thing, as if it hadn't been around for thousands of years in hundreds of different cultures before them. They've set about imposing Christian rules for marriage on the rest of us, despite the fact that our country's Constitution is not supposed to favor any particular religion.

Marriage in our society is a legal and secular institution, not a religious one. It is and always has been an economic arrangement.
Well we all know that homosexuals tend to. . . oh wait that would be a stereotype.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,879,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
PS: After being married 30+ years, turns out marriage ain't all that great after all, but you will find this out yourselves!
Celebrating my 30th anniversary with my partner next month. Legally married (in some states) 5 years in October.

Total strangers in the eyes of NC law.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,761,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Celebrating my 30th anniversary with my partner next month. Legally married (in some states) 5 years in October.

Congratulations!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Indeed, congrats! Though I first read it as you were married in multiple states

Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,624,692 times
District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina today granted a motion to amend the lawsuit.

The state’s refusal to grant legal recognition to families headed by same-sex couples has created an unending list of dilemmas, from the momentous to the mundane, that deprives loving families of the security and legal protections that they deserve.

ACLU looks forward to making their arguments before the court, as well continuing a dialogue with the people of North Carolina as to why the rights and responsibilities that come with marriage should not be denied to loving and committed couples simply because they are gay or lesbian.”

The amended complaint enumerates many of the ways North Carolina’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples harms the six families involved in the case. “Excluding same-sex couples from marriage serves only to harm the children raised by lesbian and gay couples by denying their families significant benefits and by branding their families as inferior and less deserving of respect and, thus, encouraging private bias and discrimination,” the complaint reads.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina today granted a motion to amend the lawsuit.
If NC ends up to be the catalyst for national change on this I'm going to rub California's nose in it. I am going to call them a kitten. When I say kitten I don't mean kitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina