Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

• Gay Marriage is already illegal in North Carolina.The anti-gay amendment is redundant and a distraction from real challenges we face.

• The anti-gay amendment is bad for business.

Signals that our state is not welcoming of the diverse workforce needed to compete in the global economy.

• The anti-gay amendment would negate benefits for tens of thousands.

Would strip public entities of their authority to provide benefits to same-sex domestic partners.

• The anti-gay amendment bans all legal relationship recognitions.

Marriage or civil unions for same-sex couples would be banned.

• The anti-gay amendment causes real harm to North Carolina families.

Broad language could have consequences for unmarried opposite-sex couples and their children.

* The amendment would bar the extension of health and other benefits to the same-sex partners of city employees.

* The amendment could mean the end of domestic violence protection for individuals, both gay and straight, in unmarried relationships

* The amendment could invalidate joint child-custody and visitation arrangements between unmarried couples

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

• The anti-gay amendment causes real harm to North Carolina families.
Broad language could have consequences for unmarried opposite-sex couples and their children.......
* The amendment could mean the end of domestic violence protection for individuals, both gay and straight, in unmarried relationships

* The amendment could invalidate joint child-custody and visitation arrangements between unmarried couples
I had planned to vote against the amendment anyway, but I was not aware of the potential harm to unmarried, straight relationships. This aspect deserves more publicity.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I had planned to vote against the amendment anyway, but I was not aware of the potential harm to unmarried, straight relationships. This aspect deserves more publicity.
Absolutely!

I've done some volunteering with The Vote Against Project (voteagainst.org), and we'd really like to get that word out there more. Seems like so many people are focused only on the same sex marriage part.

I also hear people say, "I'm not opposed to civil unions, but why do they have to call it marriage." I take the opportunity to point out that civil unions would be affected by this amendment too.

I have hope that this amendment will crash and burn. I've been energized and motivated by the crowd working to defeat it.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM

272 posts, read 786,761 times
More dumb laws... Just what we need.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Ol Bev deciding not to run may be a gift to the people against this amendment. Left-leaning residents had not much of a reason to go to the polls in May. Now they do, for the governor primary.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That's exactly what the right wing wants--they are trying to gloss over the fact that it is NOT in fact about "gay marriage" (which is already not recognized in NC), but that the worst danger of this is that "no other domestic contracts" will be valid, which of course aqffects heterosexual couples actually mroe than same-sex couples. I believe I saw a statistic that in the 2010 Census, there were something like 220,000 same-sex unmarried couples and 22,000 same-sex couples--ergo 10 times as many male-female couples will be harmed by this as would gay couples, even though the Right is carefully trying to make this all about "gay marriage" because that's the biggest "hot button".

The fact is, you can be against gay marriage and still see how dangerous this Amendment would be. Renee Ellmers, Tea Party Republican Member of Congress in NC Distract 2, went on record early on as stating this very thing, as has Governor Perdue. And in fact gay marriage will be unrecognized in NC whether or not the Amendment passes, so it is actually moot on that point. However, the door will be open to denial of any "domestic contracts" between two people who are not married, such as child custody papers, domestic partner insurance offered by some employers, or even hospital visitation rights.

The "Pro" side of this Amendment claims that none of this is true, but legal scholars at UNC Law School say it is very likely this is exactly what would happen. I'll believe the unbiased legal scholars over the clearly-biased head of the coalition to pass the Amendment, when it comes to truth.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Absolutely. This is more about destroying "non-traditional" families, which they don't see as legitimate, as it is letting everyone know they think gays are super-icky.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

41 posts, read 65,639 times
It doesn't do anything for NC one way or the other.
Right now, we need to fix our economy and protect the coast.
Gay marriage, abortion, and religion are irrelevant stupid things to be concerned with.
They don't feed people and protect animals.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:41 AM

310 posts, read 672,908 times
Seems to me we could end most of these shenanigans by doing what is right and ending any and all tax breaks and benefits for married couples of any type as well as people co-habitating, whether they be straight, bi, gay, transgendered - whatever. Everyone should be looked at as an individual, no matter if they're gay, straight, married, unmarried or co-habitating in a long-term relationship. You want tax breaks or benefits? Incorporate.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 92,826 times
I'm a firm believer in traditional marriage. I'm against any type of recognition of homosexuals. I'm thankful that the majority of folks in NC feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina