Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

3,323 posts, read 8,594,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You really don't get the fact that white people are not an oppressed minority, do ya?
So wait, all my black co-workers and black female boss are oppressed and I as a white male am somehow head and shoulders above them? I think you should give them more credit than that.

You as a moderator are saying that it's OK to make disparaging remarks to one color of skin (actually listing white males), but if it were the other way around it wouldn't be alright with you?

Apparently you believe a race is oppressed because you and others on this board don't agree with what the majority of Republicans have done while they have control of the state legislature. Because of course they are oppressing a race and that is their sole purpose.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I joined the military at 18 and worked my way through college (GI bill didn't pay for 100%) and worked my butt off to get an OK career and the only reason I was able to do that is because I'm not black?

I'm a Libertarian. I think career politicians on both sides are hacks. I think the whole political system is FUBARB.

I don't look at people's skin color when I decide I like that person or not. Everybody in this State and Country has the opportunity to make something of themselves. Obviously some are born with more resources to do so than others, but to just pass that off as people are oppressed and that is why they can't get ahead is total BS. That's the easy way out of taking responsibility for yourself in 2013!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
So wait, all my black co-workers and black female boss are oppressed and I as a white male am somehow head and shoulders above them? I think you should give them more credit than that.

You as a moderator are saying that it's OK to make disparaging remarks to one color of skin (actually listing white males), but if it were the other way around it wouldn't be alright with you?

Apparently you believe a race is oppressed because you and others on this board don't agree with what the majority of Republicans have done while they have control of the state legislature. Because of course they are oppressing a race and that is their sole purpose.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I joined the military at 18 and worked my way through college (GI bill didn't pay for 100%) and worked my butt off to get an OK career and the only reason I was able to do that is because I'm not black?

I'm a Libertarian. I think career politicians on both sides are hacks. I think the whole political system is FUBARB.

I don't look at people's skin color when I decide I like that person or not. Everybody in this State and Country has the opportunity to make something of themselves. Obviously some are born with more resources to do so than others, but to just pass that off as people are oppressed and that is why they can't get ahead is total BS. That's the easy way out of taking responsibility for yourself in 2013!

I'm a white woman. If you think I have it as easy as the average white male? You are misguided.

I can extrapolate from my limited experience what it must be like to be heavily discriminated against.

No matter how many advances anyone who is not a white male has made over the years, it's gonna take a white minority in the US for most white males (who are heterosexual, mind you) to really come close to understanding why they can't cry reverse racism/sexism and be taken seriously.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,686,565 times
Quote:
What I don't get is that if anyone else started a thread about Moral Monday's and used the same language you did, but reverse the color of skin, we'd probably get suspended and our post would have been removed.

I don't agree with either side here, they're both nuts!

Now I finally understand why people are getting rowed up. Thank you for getting to it. When I said there will be 200-500 middle age old white folks I did not phrase it in a racist manner. I was simply giving my prediction.
Sure enough I was correct except maybe crowd size.

Here a picture of todays crowd appears lot smaller.
You can tell by sea of gray and the hover-a-round that my prediction was correct.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Now I finally understand why people are getting rowed up. Thank you for getting to it. When I said there will be 200-500 middle age old white folks I did not phrase it in a racist manner. I was simply giving my prediction.
Sure enough I was correct except maybe crowd size.

Here a picture of todays crowd appears lot smaller.
You can tell by sea of gray and the hover-a-round that my prediction was correct.
LOL, I never said you were wrong in your assumption, just that a correct assumption going the other way would have not been tolerated on on this board. You also said they would have no brains if I recall. Other than the fact you might not agree with the Republican philosophy, I don't know if that one is as easily ascertained in a photo.

Oh and I get it, since I am a white male (with no control over that BTW) then it's OK for me to be discriminated against. You know the he only other white woman I work with has the exact same years of experience as me and we do the exact same job with the exact same duties and work, yet she makes 20% more than me. She came from a different department that paid her more, so apparently it's justifiable. I guess I should clam bias, but you know what as a white male...I CAN'T Talk about screwed up!

I have never once worked in a position where females did not earn the same or more than I have. In fact my wife makes a lot more than me (thanks honey ). I'm not blaming anybody. I have the opportunity to get a different job or go back to school for an advanced degree in a field that might allow for more upward mobility.

I don't blame society or anybody for any problems that I might face. I take responsibility....it's great people should try it!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM

6,230 posts, read 4,689,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't attend the Moral Monday rallies. I have a full-time job. I could go if I wanted, but it's just not my thing.

I support those who go, though.

People saying that jobs stop them from attending a Monday evening rally are using a cop out or they don't have any job flexibility. Which usually equals lousy jobs. No need for them to act like they slave away while everyone else is lazy. I call BS on that.
I support people who want to dedicate their time to making themselves heard, too, whether I agree or disagree with their points. What I was getting at is that rallies declaring themselves as moral, thankful, pious or whatever, tend to polarize people, typically on controversial social issues. Then, if someone agrees with part of one side, part of another, and then has their own independent ideas on the issues (which fits a hefty part of the population), those folks tend to get lost in the shuffle for not buying in completely to one side or the other. So the people who each side claims to be representing are quite often alienated from the process because the proponents of either side are so passionate they tend to be blind sighted by their own perspective.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
LOL, I never said you were wrong in your assumption, just that a correct assumption going the other way would have not been tolerated on on this board. You also said they would have no brains if I recall. Other than the fact you might not agree with the Republican philosophy, I don't know if that one is as easily ascertained in a photo.

Oh and I get it, since I am a white male (with no control over that BTW) then it's OK for me to be discriminated against. You know the he only other white woman I work with has the exact same years of experience as me and we do the exact same job with the exact same duties and work, yet she makes 20% more than me. She came from a different department that paid her more, so apparently it's justifiable. I guess I should clam bias, but you know what as a white male...I CAN'T Talk about screwed up!

I have never once worked in a position where females did not earn the same or more than I have. In fact my wife makes a lot more than me (thanks honey ). I'm not blaming anybody. I have the opportunity to get a different job or go back to school for an advanced degree in a field that might allow for more upward mobility.

I don't blame society or anybody for any problems that I might face. I take responsibility....it's great people should try it!
No. You really don't get it.

You do not make less BECAUSE you are a white male.

That's pretty much the point.

If you make less money, you can rest assured that white maleness is HIGHLY unlikely to be the reason.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 AM

You say people don't get it a lot. How do you know that? My boss is a black female. Maybe that is exactly why I make less than my coworker!

If in fact that was the reason, I can not claim bias. Yet if I was a black female and made less than my white male coworker (and we had the same qualifications and did the exact same job), I could claim bias, even if I couldn't claim racism or prejudice was the reason I was paid less.

"You don't get it". That was my point. Please don't treat people like they're stupid and don't have valid points.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
You say people don't get it a lot. How do you know that? My boss is a black female. Maybe that is exactly why I make less than my coworker!

If in fact that was the reason, I can not claim bias. Yet if I was a black female and made less than my white male coworker (and we had the same qualifications and did the exact same job), I could claim bias, even if I couldn't claim racism or prejudice was the reason I was paid less.

"You don't get it". That was my point. Please don't treat people like they're stupid and don't have valid points.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Maybe she's a better employee who has received more substantial raises due to her worth to the company?

You telling me she's black doesn't mean that you can use her color or gender to justify your low wages.

Besides? You already stated that she came from another department, already made more than you, and kept a higher rate of pay when she transferred. This is common in MANY companies.

What I am telling you is that, all things being equal? Men are paid more than women. White men are paid more than minorities. There's a ton of evidence to support this general trend.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,095,561 times
I will admit most posters on this board seem to be 90% liberal minded people who have made this city data forum not a relocation forum but a massive political forum.

I still dont see the reason why a thread had to be started to make fun of people who just simply have a different view point than your own.

And why in the world is the race or age of the people who attended the event matter? All the 'Moral Monday' supporters who posted on here seem to go to race immediately, and make fun of them. Please explain how that is not racist.

Looking at the one photo on this thread that was posted on the event so far, it would appear it was attended by mainly elderly people, and there is someone there in a wheelchair. These people are peoples grandparents, and known as the "Greatest Generation". You sound like a bunch of bullies.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM

I'm done here because this is just getting silly. My point is, why is it justified to call out an age group or race, period? There are many things I don't agree with on either side of the political spectrum since I am a Libertarian and tend to think for myself and weight each issue carefully.

By simply taking the OP's post and changing a few words in that one sentence, I would be labeled a racist, even if what I said was the truth. That in my book is just ridiculous!

In my career I have been "reverse" discriminated against, but I don't hold that to an entire race, just the idiot(s) who did that. I love my job, my wife is Hispanic and I help low income people. I'm the furthest thing from a racist. I want people to realize their potential and I don't think Government is the best path to get people to become self-sufficient.

Oh and meh_whatever, it's funny you mention that this woman might have more worth to the company. No, she was hired in at the higher rate and everyone in the office hates her, including the boss. She divisive and they've actually been trying to get rid of her. I never thought I made less because I was a white man, but it's a possibility. Whether you believe it is or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina