Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times

Advertisements

Apparently the NC Sheriffs were able to persuade the GA to keep the Jim Crow-era pistol purchase permit system which has been made obsolete by the federal NICS system:

Lawmakers approve sweeping gun measure :: WRAL.com

For those of you that don't know, the pistol permit system was put in place so the local Sheriff could ensure only the "right kind" of people were armed in their jurisdiction. So on this ONE issue I will agree with some of the anti-Republican folks on this board that NC has moved backwards, or at least failed to move forwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Apparently the NC Sheriffs were able to persuade the GA to keep the Jim Crow-era pistol purchase permit system which has been made obsolete by the federal NICS system:

Lawmakers approve sweeping gun measure :: WRAL.com

For those of you that don't know, the pistol permit system was put in place so the local Sheriff could ensure only the "right kind" of people were armed in their jurisdiction. So on this ONE issue I will agree with some of the anti-Republican folks on this board that NC has moved backwards, or at least failed to move forwards.
Didn't know this, but I am a pistol carrying NRA member, and you are exactly right - I was shocked when purchasing a firearm here as to the antiquated system whereby your county Sheriff has to "vouch" for you - a system ripe for abuse, and potential civil rights violations. Why not fill out the online questionaire with it's background check as about every other state in the union does?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Well, you and I agree. It was bound to happen eventually.

Quite a few of the changes to voter law made yesterday pretty much have the same net effect, though.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times
Isn't this a 2nd ammendment violation just looking for litigation? i would think that the first time a person eligible under Federalaws was denied a gun by a local sheriff, he/she would be in court.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,987,184 times
I don't see it going away. It is a big money maker for the Sheriffs Departments. They don't want to lose that revenue stream.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Isn't this a 2nd ammendment violation just looking for litigation? i would think that the first time a person eligible under Federalaws was denied a gun by a local sheriff, he/she would be in court.
States can regulate firearms and a suit like that costs money. Changing the law is the best way forward, maybe next year.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM

263 posts, read 572,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
I don't see it going away. It is a big money maker for the Sheriffs Departments. They don't want to lose that revenue stream.
Do you really see $5 permits making them a lot of money? I can't imagine $5 is worth the time it takes to file paperwork, check whatever records need to be checked, print the permit, deal with the questions and phone calls, etc. If someone is denied, do they still have to pay the $5? If not, even more expense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think it could be that much of a moneymaker.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
Do you really see $5 permits making them a lot of money? I can't imagine $5 is worth the time it takes to file paperwork, check whatever records need to be checked, print the permit, deal with the questions and phone calls, etc. If someone is denied, do they still have to pay the $5? If not, even more expense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think it could be that much of a moneymaker.
The NC Sheriffs Association actually has a lobbyist and were trying to get a bill passed this year to raise the permit fees. You pay the money in advance, I am not sure if you get your money back if they decide not to issue. The NC pistol permit is a relic of the past and needs to go away since dealers can use the NCIS system.

Last edited by boardmember10000; 07-27-2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: changed to Association

Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
I would be astounded if the sheriff ever saw one of my pistol permits. What a crock. Just another tax.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,074 times
Yeah, this county sheriff crap needs to go away- welcome to the 21st century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina