Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,248 times

Advertisements

My families rates are doubling and going to cost us an extra 6+ grand a year. My wife and I both have student loans, we have 2 kids in daycare, and a mortgage. We currently have insurance but will not be able to afford it next year (and do not qualify for a subsidy). Looks like we are going to insure the children and eat the 1%. Hopefully something changes with the marketplace or our circumstance that will make it affordable for us in 2015. I simply do not have another 6 grand to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
It is hardly an opinion that my rates would triple in an exchange after being repeatedly told my costs would go down. Shouldn't I be upset by that? Wouldn't you be upset if you had been lied to? What is even more upsetting is the predictions about this very situation were scoffed at by ACA supporters. And now here we are, and all the lofty promises are crumbling and yet people are too blinded by the promise of "free" healthcare to see it.
That reads like rhetoric.

I never saw anything that stated that everyone would pay lower premiums across the board in the first year of this program.

I don't need free healthcare. I have employer-sponsored healthcare and my company won't be ending that offering, because it is self-insured to save money. Bigger companies come out better that way all around.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
My families rates are doubling and going to cost us an extra 6+ grand a year. My wife and I both have student loans, we have 2 kids in daycare, and a mortgage. We currently have insurance but will not be able to afford it next year (and do not qualify for a subsidy). Looks like we are going to insure the children and eat the 1%. Hopefully something changes with the marketplace or our circumstance that will make it affordable for us in 2015. I simply do not have another 6 grand to pay.
What were you paying before?

That's a huge increase. I have seen similarly large amounts mentioned by other people in your situation and I wonder if there won't have to be a marketplace correction to ease these types of increases. I sure hope that there is.

I support this initiative to make sure that everyone has healthcare, but it does need to actually be, you know... affordable.

Not free, just affordable.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I remember when Congress was negotiating Obamacare. All of the proposals to get costs under control were left out due to lobbying.

Buy prescriptions from Canada? No. Must protect big Pharma.
More Doctors? No,must protect their incomes by limiting supply.
Sell medical insurance across state lines? No.
End laws to limit hospital beds and the number of nurses? No.

The list goes on. So we're left with subsidies. Higher premiums. Throwing more $$ at the problem.
That's what happens when you churn out sausage. Obamacare in its current form isn't what Obama originally wanted. But it is a step in the right direction.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I won't ever get Social Security because the fund will be bankrupt by 2030. So can I have my money back now please?
Yes, but only after re-opening this thread in 2030.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
No analysis on how senior citizens would fare.
Define "senior citizen". 50? 40? 30?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
If we had a state exchange, those numbers would look very different.

Thanks McCrory!
Thanks for bringing politics in to it with no substance. Why does it matter on the numbers based upon who administers it?

Good to know the governor has that much power.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Thanks for bringing politics in to it with no substance. Why does it matter on the numbers based upon who administers it?

Good to know the governor has that much power.

....if the state government refuses to allow for additional features designed to bring the cost down for the residents they supposedly represent, then it IS their fault. Am I the only one who sees that as an obvious statement?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I never saw anything that stated that everyone would pay lower premiums across the board in the first year of this program.
It was stated numerous times by Obama and his staff that insurance costs would be reduced by $2500 per year. That was a major talking point throughout both of his campaigns. This is clearly not the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o65vMUk5so

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't need free healthcare. I have employer-sponsored healthcare and my company won't be ending that offering, because it is self-insured to save money. Bigger companies come out better that way all around.
Until the plan your employer subscribes to is no longer available, or until it becomes more cost effective for your company to stop offering insurance and force you onto an exchange, or cut your hours, or reduce staff. The ACA is making it too expensive for many businesses to offer insurance . 2015 is going to be an interesting year.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes, but only after re-opening this thread in 2030.
Nicely done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina