Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
North Carolina ranks 46th in teacher pay while generally being middle-of-the-pack for cost of living, taxes and the like.

That's the market data that matters.

I have no problems with the taxes in NC (and probably pay more than most.) It's the cost we pay to live in a really nice area. I do have a problem with our trying to race-to-the-bottom on schools, public services, and the environment.

I grew up in Florida. I would never move back to Florida. There are plenty of people on this message board who moved here to get away from Florida. Florida built itself on attracting retirees (retirees hate taxes), corporations looking for tourist-tax handouts (companies hate taxes), and lower-income workers for the tourist sector (who don't make enough to pay any taxes.) What's left? Crumbling infrastructure, an aquifer that's drying up, horrific traffic, crime, and awful schools.

Paying what we need to pay for good teachers and good schools is the price of keeping NC and the Triangle nice places to live. I have far more invested in my home, and keeping those home values rising, to want to save a couple hundred bucks a year on taxes.
I couldnt agree with you more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:51 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I do know there was a time when North Carolina's school system was a shining example for others.
I do have a dog in this fight, I agree that teachers are not paid enough, and I believe our legislature putting a nail in the coffin of our educational system. However, I am wondering if you could enlighten me as to the time our school system was a "shining example for others". I don't believe NC's public schools have ever cracked the top 50% of school systems in the country.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
North Carolina ranks 46th in teacher pay while generally being middle-of-the-pack for cost of living, taxes and the like.

That's the market data that matters.
r

Agree with this post, but the "market data" that I was referring to is that teachers are leaving the profession and there is already a shortage. Simple economics, when something is in short demand, the price goes up. But the current GA has shown again that they don't understand how economics work, so they address trying to buy a scarce commodity in a competitive market by lowering their bid.

I don't have all the answers, but I'm fairly certain in my mind that this is not a step in the right direction.

Oh, and the bike ride was great.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
If you don't like what going on vote the dudes out and put people in who think education is important and not a drain on the budget. The present GA has destroyed the NC School System.
They want all private schools for the rich and go back to 1800's where the poor did not go to school.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:53 PM

621 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whining about someone else's fortune looks petty and covetous and is a rhetorical crutch of pop culture that distracts from the needed focus on the school funding issue. A better sales pitch, and that is what is needed, is to focus on schools, teachers, kids, and educational benefits.
Yes indeed. That should work. A sales pitch to realign individual priorities even when evidence dictates otherwise. A sales pitch to those upset by commute times and healthcare costs but totally clueless to the fact that quantum jumps in science and technology come from an educated workforce. A sales pitch to those upset about sending in copier paper to the classroom but spending many times over at the stadium.

A fundamental change in mindset is needed but I don't see that happening amongst a populace convinced that a discussion on the value of education must be riding on waves of envy triggered by earnings disparities.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
It's disgraceful -- the legislature has no problem giving the richest a big tax break but denying teachers a raise -- we rank where? -- 46th in teacher pay? Yep that's the way to attract the best & the brightest and to keep the good teachers we have. It's not just here, though, in my home state of NJ the governor has made a big deal of villifying teachers and their 'fat union contracts'. God forbid a TEACHER should make $70,000 or $80,000 a year! The horror! So let's freeze their pay and do away with tenure while we're at it.

But those Wall Street guys & hedge fund managers making $3 million a year -- well they are certainly contributing a heckavu lot more to our society -- oh and when they mismanage the business and need a bailout let's turn to the rest of us and use our tax dollars to save the day.

And don't get me started on 'teaching to the test' which is resulting in a whole generation of kids who don't haven't been taught the key skill of critical thinking -- the whole thing is a mess.
I taught for three years. Of all the various lines of business and work related jobs I've ever performed, I have always thought teachers were by far the most over-paid. This is due to the benefits they have as well. Easy hours, short days, 3 and 4 day weekends, summers off, spring break off, all holidays off, medical, etc. etc. Most educators I worked with were very lazy and underperformed. And you only work half the year! Want to make $70,000 a year? Keep your teaching job and get a second job. That's how most Americans who have one job that they only work half the year end up doing it.
Comparatively speaking, yes, teaching wages are lower in this state.

Teaching is an easy profession! Those who teach will never admit it, until they have to go out from behind their union and work in the real world. Then they go back to teaching. Why? Because it spoiled them and it's easy!

Sorry if this ruffles everyone's feathers, but it's how I see it and I did it!

Last edited by alaskaboy; 03-15-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I do have a dog in this fight, I agree that teachers are not paid enough, and I believe our legislature putting a nail in the coffin of our educational system. However, I am wondering if you could enlighten me as to the time our school system was a "shining example for others". I don't believe NC's public schools have ever cracked the top 50% of school systems in the country.
Wake County was the 3rd best school system for its size in 2007 or later.

I disagree with the removal of the bonus for teachers who were getting graduate degrees so they could get the bonus.

I don't but so much care how well Watauga County Schools are doing. I care how Wake County schools are doing.

At my school, teachers are very well-appreciated, and they seem happy enough (who among us that's not either the boss or self-employed is perfectly content with their job? Almost nobody is)

I point-blank ask them, because I want to do what I can to make them happy and to hear their concerns.

Teaching is, and always has been, a profession where the compensation wasn't measure in dollars and cents.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I taught for three years. Of all the various lines of business and work related jobs I've ever performed, I have always thought teachers were by far the most over-paid. This is due to the benefits they have as well. Easy hours, short days, 3 and 4 day weekends, summers off, spring break off, all holidays off, medical, etc. etc. Most educators I worked with were very lazy and underperformed. And you only work half the year! Want to make $70,000 a year? Keep your teaching job and get a second job. That's how most Americans who have one job that they only work half the year end up doing it.

Teaching is an easy profession! Those who teach will never admit it, until they have to go out from behind their union and work in the real world. Then they go back to teaching. Why? Because it spoiled them and it's easy!

Did you teach in NC? Ahh. No. You did not. (I just reread your post) There IS no union here.

I'd imagine teaching is far easier in a union state.

What age did you teach?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
Yes indeed. That should work. A sales pitch to realign individual priorities even when evidence dictates otherwise. A sales pitch to those upset by commute times and healthcare costs but totally clueless to the fact that quantum jumps in science and technology come from an educated workforce. A sales pitch to those upset about sending in copier paper to the classroom but spending many times over at the stadium.

A fundamental change in mindset is needed but I don't see that happening amongst a populace convinced that a discussion on the value of education must be riding on waves of envy triggered by earnings disparities.
Then, so be it.
Majority rule is a pillar of the democratic process.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

It's easy to teach a skill to a roomful of teenagers whose minds are often distracted? Exactly what subject and age group were you teaching, what socioeconomic status were most of your students in?

The willingness a teacher has in taking the responsibility to teach and teaching necessary skills well is so important. A lot of people don't care to do this as a profession for our youth.

I'm sure there are many teachers who do have second jobs, and many teachers do not belong to a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina