Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times

Advertisements

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I do know there was a time when North Carolina's school system was a shining example for others. The current legislature put an end to that, and now teachers are leaving for other states just so they can make ends meet. It's shameful.

CARY: Wake Co. teacher resigns in email over low pay - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 PM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
there are plenty more that resign/quit that you never hear about. They change careers or move to a state that pays better. sad.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 PM

162 posts, read 292,017 times
It's disgraceful -- the legislature has no problem giving the richest a big tax break but denying teachers a raise -- we rank where? -- 46th in teacher pay? Yep that's the way to attract the best & the brightest and to keep the good teachers we have. It's not just here, though, in my home state of NJ the governor has made a big deal of villifying teachers and their 'fat union contracts'. God forbid a TEACHER should make $70,000 or $80,000 a year! The horror! So let's freeze their pay and do away with tenure while we're at it.

But those Wall Street guys & hedge fund managers making $3 million a year -- well they are certainly contributing a heckavu lot more to our society -- oh and when they mismanage the business and need a bailout let's turn to the rest of us and use our tax dollars to save the day.

And don't get me started on 'teaching to the test' which is resulting in a whole generation of kids who don't haven't been taught the key skill of critical thinking -- the whole thing is a mess.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
I am just sad that the major news media around here are more happy to publish such a story than get behind the numbers and help any and all of us understand the reality of the situation.

And I place a very high personal value on the job the teachers do for our - and my - children. I do have a dog in the fight.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Teachers get paid around $35,000 a year and someone playing basketball gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Which is more important?

Vicki

Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am just sad that the major news media around here are more happy to publish such a story than get behind the numbers and help any and all of us understand the reality of the situation.
You would be singing a much different tune if you were on the receiving end of those pitiful paychecks.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 PM

285 posts, read 493,293 times
As a fellow educator, I appreciate this brave teacher's willingness to speak out. These problems have been growing for years, particularly in the areas of testing and teacher pay, but this past year the General Assembly has added insult to injury. Their actions make it clear that they have no respect for teachers and no understanding of what students need. They need to get their hands out of education.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I too think teachers deserve better pay.

But, it isn't constructive to compare their pay to private hedge fund managers or professional athletes because let's be honest, teacher pay raises will not be funded from those private sources. So where can the money come from to give teachers a raise? What state programs should be cut and who should be let go to generate the cash to give teachers more momey? Of course the alternative is to raise taxes to fund increase in salaries but that is rarely a popular option and a great way for a politician to gurantee they only serve one term.

Even if everyone agrees teachers deserve a raise, the real question remains how to fund it. "Stop government waste" is a common answer but provides no substance or true actionable measures. We need real solutions not political rhetoric.

Where will the money come from?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You would be singing a much different tune if you were on the receiving end of those pitiful paychecks.
I'm not sure what you mean, or why you would have redacted the second part of my post in making whatever point you were making.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, or why you would have redacted the second part of my post in making whatever point you were making.
Perhaps I misunderstood your message. What do you believe "the reality of the situation" to be?

I typically quote only the portion of the message I'm replying to, not the entire message. That was the only reason for the deletion of the second half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina