Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There is nothing to rationalize. Teacher pay didn't go up at all until Tillis & McCrory took over the government. The facts speak for themselves. Only the most deluded of partisans would try to make that into a negative.
I see that you fail to admit that the current legislature robbed Peter to pay Paul for that raise, or in this case they robbed Peter to pay Peter). They took many things away from schools and teachers including TAs, money for textbooks and recognizing masters degrees. All of these things equal money and support for education and teachers. Then they give raises that benefit new employees over veterans and claim they are pro education. You can spin it how you like but the raise they instituted does not forgive all of the other decisions they made that will be disastrous to our education system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 AM

118 posts, read 185,505 times
be it democrat or republican the state is dead last for teachers...and that means the students are end up being dead last too. nobody should have to send their kids to private school because the local schools are lousy.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Meanwhile NC is the 5th fastest in job growth in the USA. Data and facts trumps rhetoric as it did to the OP here.
Thanks to the Liberal areas. Most notably Raleigh & Charlotte. I'm not sure how liberal Raleigh is but I know After McCrory, Charlotte has been solidly blue.

How exactly are the deep red counties doing btw?

The "5th fastest Job growth" would fall like a rock without the bluer urban areas that on many, many occasions fight the legislature.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I see that you fail to admit that the current legislature robbed Peter to pay Paul for that raise, or in this case they robbed Peter to pay Peter).....
I didn't fail at anything. The topic is about teachers being dead last in the USA and the statistics used were from when they ran the government. (all while running up billions of debt too) The people who were circling to have a feeding frenzy to blame the GOP are not shocked to learn the truth and are saying anything to deflect from that.

Give us some specific numbers from the NC budget which proves what you have said.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Thanks to the Liberal areas. Most notably Raleigh & Charlotte. I'm not sure how liberal Raleigh is but I know After McCrory, Charlotte has been solidly blue.
If you judge whether a city is Blue or Red by the political party of the Mayor's office, then note that after McCrory left office there hasn't been a Democrat elected who has managed to finish their term in office. One went off to play with Obama, two, including the current one were appointed by a partisan backroom deal, and yes, one has pled guilty to several Federal felonies and now awaits sentencing. It's a first in the city's history.

Quite a record there.

BTW, most of the job growth in the Charlotte "area" is outside the city limits.

This, BTW, has nothing to do with the topic which people such as yourself seem loath to talk about. LOL

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Looks like someone is lobbying for a moderators job. Funny how adamant you are about replying to every off topic opinion, which is fodder for your condescending and insulting remarks, RIGHT before you manage to admonish someone for straying.

You are a real piece of work son.

lololololol.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
How many people here are actually talking to teachers? From what I hear from the professionals, the raise was a big smoke and mirrors trick for the most part, a shell game of relabeling funds that largely passed over any teacher with more than five years of experience. With higher State insurance premiums kicking in, many teachers are actually seeing less pay now than before the "raises".

There has been a lot of migration of experienced teachers out of NC for years now - states like SC and VA actively advertize $10k more annually and have drawn many good teachers away from the best paying NC districts (Charlotte, Raleigh). Even states like Texas are advertising here and pulling out good teachers from NC schools.

What we have now are a lot of first year teachers filling open spots and the brain drain is going to hit hard as students are brought up in this new system and the lack of experience and teacher effectiveness starts to manifest.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
How many people here are actually talking to teachers? From what I hear from the professionals, the raise was a big smoke and mirrors trick for the most part, a shell game of relabeling funds that largely passed over any teacher with more than five years of experience..
My sister is a high school teacher.

There was no smoke and mirrors, but you are welcome to show any figures from the NC Budget that prove what you say. Education spending went UP, not down as being alleged. It's just like the allegations originally made by the OP about those responsible for the deal last rankings that proved to be totally wrong. Of course there is no conversation about that.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Interesting read here. Sorry Waldo, but your attempt to blame the education decline in NC on the Democrats is way off base.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Interesting read here. Sorry Waldo, but your attempt to blame the education decline in NC on the Democrats is way off base.
I didn't start this topic. But I pointed out the methodology used by the study clearly shows it was during the Democrats reign of the state government. i.e. Kay Hagan, Beverly Perdue and Mike Easley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina