Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,091 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My husband and I are thinking of relocating south from upstate NY. We have taken on trip to visit the Asheville, Brevard area as well making a stop in Southern Pines. We didn't love Asheville as much as we expected, just didn't have the charm and friendliness that we expected. We are late 20s early 30s, I am a nurse and my husband is in environmental work. Good mountain bike trails close by are a must for us, we both generally love the outdoors. For a town we are hoping to find a place that is friendly, and liberal, with a nice downtown. We are planning on taking another trip to the area this winter to check out a few other places, any suggestions on what city's/areas might be worth checking out. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 PM

199 posts, read 257,910 times
If y'all are set on Western NC you can check out Boone, the home of the App state, which is right in the mountains and has a nice downtown area. Plenty of outdoor activities around there. You can also look in the Charlotte metro area which has plenty of towns right around it and is still a relatively short drive to the mountains. I would also recommend taking a look at the upstate region of South Carolina. Both Greenville and Spartanburg (the two largest cities in the region) have nice downtown areas, especially Greenville. As with Western NC there are plenty of things to do outdoors near both cities. I will say though that Asheville is probably one of the most, if not the most, liberal town in NC and if that didn't do it for y'all I might second guess moving down south.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
Look for a job first, then start looking at towns. Finding a job in nursing should be fairly easy, but I'm not so sure about environmental work.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
It really is not possible for people to tell you what places YOU would like, and it's a large diverse state (imagine someone saying "We've been to [2 different places] in NY state--can someone tell me where else we should look?" No way for anyone to know, without knowing them and more about what they are looking for).

What has put NC in your sights? Meaning, what specific features of this state as opposed to others? The more detail you provider in what you're looking for, and why you believe you will find that in NC, the more people can help you.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy14 View Post
For a town we are hoping to find a place that is friendly, and liberal, with a nice downtown. We are planning on taking another trip to the area this winter to check out a few other places, any suggestions on what city's/areas might be worth checking out. Any info is appreciated.
I'd suggest looking at Charlottesville and Blacksburg in Virginia. Greenville South Carolina has a very nice walkable downtown, but the state is quite conservative and religious.

If you can find work in smaller towns, I'd suggest looking at Black Mountain, Weaverville, Murphy and Franklin in North Carolina. They will vary in the extent to which you will find liberals, so I suggest minimizing political discussions until you get to know people.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,091 times
Thank you for all your reply's. Boone and Blacksburg sound very interesting, will check those towns out.
We are definitely attracted to the weather further south, that is probably our biggest reason for moving. My husbands company has a transfer option to Greenville SC, and he has the option to work project by project with a home base anywhere, so job wise we should be ok.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Well go look at Greenville, then. It is supposed to have one of the nicest downtowns around. I like Asheville, but if it didn't do it for you, you might be one of the people that likes Greenville better. There seem to be quite a few of those around. Boone is a lot like Asheville, but smaller, higher in elevation, and more college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina