Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 09:38 PM

39 posts, read 108,655 times

Advertisements

My family (daughter and two granddaughters) are hoping to relocate to North Carolina. We are also considering Tampa FL just because I have a best friend there. I have heard Wilmington NC has a VA (where I currently work). I know other places do to just heard about this one first. Of course I wonder about cost of living, condo versus buying a home and more importantly taxes - taxes on Social Security, pension. Currently I live in a split level home with a garage and paid only a little over $110,000. Taxes around $1200 a year. I would love to buy another house but realistically I am pretty sure I can't find that price. Granddaughter is 8 and one is 14 although when we move she will probably be out of school. Places to live? Near the coast? Any advice is appreciated.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxer View Post
Near the coast? Any advice is appreciated.....
I think you should tell us why you want to move, and why you want to move to North Carolina specifically. Then why you want to be near the coast. (Unless your are passionate about being near the ocean, there are places you might like better and are cheaper in NC.)

You are correct that you will have to pay more for a house than you are currently paying. If you are looking for a 4-bedroom house in Wilmington, your minimum would be $175K to $200K. I don't see why you would buy a condo with four people living in the place as it will probably cost you more per square foot.

Your property taxes in Iowa are probably cheaper, and you should consider the cost of hurricane (AKA wind and hail insurance.) For example we pay $1900 in taxes and $2400 in homeowners insurance on a house worth $300,000. Income taxes are not bad; they do not tax Social Security, and it is a flat rate of about 5.8% on other income including pensions. Sales taxes are a nuisance; they tax food at 2% and they also tax the utility bills at 7%.

If you want to continue working for the VA, you should investigate transfers. There are are also clinics in Jacksonville NC, which is near the coast, and several other inland cities.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-01-2015 at 04:01 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 05:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I don't see why you would buy a condo with four people living in the place as it will probably cost you more per square foot.
If you did buy a condo, expect to pay between $225 and $300/month in condo fees.

BTW, Tampa Florida is a much more urban area compared to Wilmington, NC. If you are moving for a lower cost of living, I'd use some online COL calculators comparing where you are to both cities.

Another factor to consider for the grandchildren is whether they would lose the Iowa in-state college tuition advantage if their mother moves with you. They would not gain North Carolina residency for college tuition until they have lived in the state for one year.

In any case, I would visit a few cities in North Carolina to decide whether you would really want to be here. Then realistically scope out where you could find a job. Greenville might be another location to consider if the social work is connected to medical facilities.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxer View Post
My family (daughter and two granddaughters) are hoping to relocate to North Carolina. We are also considering Tampa FL just because I have a best friend there. I have heard Wilmington NC has a VA (where I currently work). I know other places do to just heard about this one first. Of course I wonder about cost of living, condo versus buying a home and more importantly taxes - taxes on Social Security, pension. Currently I live in a split level home with a garage and paid only a little over $110,000. Taxes around $1200 a year. I would love to buy another house but realistically I am pretty sure I can't find that price. Granddaughter is 8 and one is 14 although when we move she will probably be out of school. Places to live? Near the coast? Any advice is appreciated.....
Does that mean you not going to move for 3 or 4 years?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
There is a forum for the Coastal part of the state, if you know you want to be near the coast. Most questions about Wilmington are on there.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:51 PM

39 posts, read 108,655 times
I am actually not sure we will wait that long to move. I am waiting til full retirement age which is 66 for me. My daughter loves the beach so we would love to live within driving distance. We don't necessarily have to live on the coast. Wow my homeowners insurance is barely $550 a year but I understand the need for wind and hail insurance. Yes if I continue working I want to stay in the medical social work field. We have heard Greenville is also a good place to live. We picked North Carolina because my daughter has friends there and I have friends in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina