Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times

Advertisements

I would suggest quality of life. Its that simple. Here are a few reasons why I saw that.

1. Weather, elaboration beyond that is only needed in North Eastern forecast.
2. Finger. NC'ers typically use them for counting and not vendettas.
3. Roads. NC'ers damage rims when they leave the roadway. NY'ers damage rims on the countless pot holes they hit on the so called good roadways.
4. Taxes. NYC has taxes on taxes, gasoline tax and then toll tax to use a road or bridge or tunnel.
5. Transit. NC. Hop in one car and drive to beach, mountains, and farm land. NYC hop on subway and see more building. Hop in a taxi and see more buildings. Subway to then train and see more buildings. There is a pattern developing here.
6. Crowds. NC Raleigh attend a Hurricane's or NC State game. NYS walk down time square and get that crowd each and every day.

NYC is a great place and millions love to live there. God bless them. NC is to and hundreds of thousands love to live here and being its the bible belt, God loves them too.

So both places are nice, it all depends what your definition of quality of life is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,830 times
I am new and haven't a clue. I am getting a brief education on this NC place. I will be relocating with the church plant team from NJ to Roanoke Rapids area.
I Love the NYC and Jersey but being in a state of poverty, I couldn't afford to be a single mother in my current apt in NYC. I am hoping to have an ease of life with this move to NC and more success with that ease.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,699 times
Here's a good reason.... It's Feb 5 and we are looking at a high in the 70's.....LOL

Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
coming from NJ, it feels like unless you are doing VERY well financially here, you could not move to NJ /NYC because you would be in debt or close to poverty. you will need an income that pays six figures. if you can secure a 6 figure job or have a big savings account, then go for it because NJ/NYC is a great place to live and raise a family!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM

90 posts, read 296,942 times
Definitely looking at these answers, you have to see that your experience may vary, right?

I'd say that sweet tea is the most disgusting thing ever invented, personally. And I miss the snow every winter - I hate it when it is over 80 degrees! And I personally think NYers and NJ folks are very nice. You actually know where you stand. If they are your friend, you know it and they mean what they say.

So why don't I move there? Cost of living, crime rate and way too many people for me. But I prefer my fish grilled, my coffee black and I don't mind an occasional one finger wave as much as I cringe at being called "sug" by a stranger. So - to each his/her own! =)

Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
I still remember the days in NYC.

Ask someone for the time and they respond "Waddya think I'm an 'effin clock or something?"

Those were the days, my friend.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
I was born in LI, moved to NoVA when I was 7, and moved here in 2006. I'm kind of unique in that I love my NY sports teams (Mets, Jets, Islanders), but I can't stand the attitudes of a lot of NY'ers. Some NY'ers are very nice and genuine, and others would rather walk through you than have to wait a half second for you to get out of their way. I love the accents, I love visiting as often as I can, but I like the pace of life and friendly people here more. I'm kind of half way though, because I can't stand slow people, but I also can't stand the people that have no manners and don't hold the door for you, etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 13,565 times
My hubby and I are patiently waiting for my youngest daughter to graduate HS (2010) then we are "outta here" and heading down to NC. We have a son who will be 8 then and still at the age where he can adjust to a new school at that point.

Our main reasons for leaving NJ (other than our wonderful Gov. Corzine) - property taxes (of which Corzine is not helping so I guess he still is a reason) and home prices.

Our home was brand new in 2000 when we bought it at $275,000. The property taxes were $6600. Our home value is now at least $525,000 (but who can afford to buy it?) and the prop. taxes are a whopping $9300/year!!!

It's ridiculous and we are deep in debt just trying to stay here. My oldest daughter is starting college next year and another in two years. I'm hoping the oldest will opt for a less expensive school until we move and then transfer to NC with us and complete her education with our youngest daughter.

We are going down to Charlotte on 2/15 and 2/16 and then to Raleigh on 2/17 & 2/18 just to visit and check out the neighborhoods. We've never been to NC except our yearly OBX vacation. We are SO excited to explore next week!!!

Kelly
NJ

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
You may like it, Kelly.

I lived in LI, NJ, and NYC over the years, but have been in Raleigh since 1989 and intend to stay.

There are differences, of course, but so many NJ transplants have arrived, many NY/NJ habits (some good and some bad) have popped up here.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I've heard from many NJ transplants to NC that NC is "becoming more and more like NJ every day". Some see that as a good thing, others not so much. I was shocked to hear a person from NJ a few years ago who was standing behind me in the DMV say "you guys get taxed to DEATH in this state, I thought I was getting away from that". Explaining that in NC you get "nickled and dimed". I've never lived in NJ but I know that I can see that to a degree between Upstate NY (where we have very high property taxes, higher per $1000 than in NJ) and NC. The costs are more hidden and spread out in NC, but they are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina