Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move down from NY metro area. Costs are high but we make enough to do well. For us, it isn't just about doing well now, it is about not wanting to pay $17k in taxes a year and $500/month utilities & heat for the rest of our lives. Also, we don't want to be in our 60's or 70's and dealing with snow storms and power outages and being stuck inside for a few months straight while looking out at cold/grey days. I don't know why people say NY'ers are rude - they really are sincere and tell it how it is type people. Okay - we have the initial reservation when we meet you - but then we are fine. So I don't even expect to meet nicer people. I would explain NY'ers attitude as "occupied". We are so busy rushing to work or rushing home that we just don't take the few seconds to be cordial at times. And that is another reason to move - it is just too fast. You don't stop until you get hit by a car or have a heart attack basically. Also it is highly competitive here, to the point that I think it is too competitive. People just don't know how to say enough and be happy with what they have. NY offers a ton though- true diversity/art/culture-basically anything you want you can find it here and the competition is fierce so quality is high and that applies to restaurants, schools, business - you name it. You have to weigh the good and the bad and make a personal choice. NY is by no means bad - it is great- if it is what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:49 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristennc View Post
Definitely looking at these answers, you have to see that your experience may vary, right?

I'd say that sweet tea is the most disgusting thing ever invented, personally. And I miss the snow every winter - I hate it when it is over 80 degrees! And I personally think NYers and NJ folks are very nice. You actually know where you stand. If they are your friend, you know it and they mean what they say.

So why don't I move there? Cost of living, crime rate and way too many people for me. But I prefer my fish grilled, my coffee black and I don't mind an occasional one finger wave as much as I cringe at being called "sug" by a stranger. So - to each his/her own! =)
When I get down there - I will make sure to find you and do the one finger wave for old times sake.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I've heard from many NJ transplants to NC that NC is "becoming more and more like NJ every day". Some see that as a good thing, others not so much. I was shocked to hear a person from NJ a few years ago who was standing behind me in the DMV say "you guys get taxed to DEATH in this state, I thought I was getting away from that". Explaining that in NC you get "nickled and dimed". I've never lived in NJ but I know that I can see that to a degree between Upstate NY (where we have very high property taxes, higher per $1000 than in NJ) and NC. The costs are more hidden and spread out in NC, but they are still there.
Well if NC is doing the "nickle and dime" thing, then upstate NY is doing the "five dollar and ten dollar bill" thing.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
maybe...but in all reality the cost of living when you factor in everything, is actually cheaper in Rochester than Raleigh....can't compare the rest of NY to the rest of NC personally, but that has been my experience. The problem that can arise is finding a good enough job in Rochester compared to Raleigh. Hopefully that will eventually not be true anymore.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 PM

So you can overcome a $450/month difference in real estate taxes alone? That's the difference for me going from Albany to Raleigh, and I'm getting a better house on more land. In my case, my income remains the same. Gas is at least 30 cents a gallon cheaper in NC. Where are you seeing the increase? The only thing I've found so far that was more was car insurance, which was about $200/year difference.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
groceries, car insurance as you say, HOA fees (if you live in a new subdivision with a pool, which msot opt for when they move to the triangle), property taxes on a car, higher homeowners insurance. Albany is more expensive than Rochester though; like I said, I wasn't applying the generalization to ALL of NY or all of NC.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm finding homeowners insurance less for the companies I've checked. Its tough to compare though, because you have to look at the reconstruction cost they are going with, and since there has been a lot of appreciation in Albany, that has lagged... but still Raleigh is cheaper for me. We will have an HOA fee, but honestly one month of the tax savings covers it, and we get the use of a pool and tennis courts. Personal property tax on cars is a wash if you get a new car every 3 or 4 years, because you pay more in sales tax initially in NY, but then you don't have to pay as much each year. But the registration fees are still pretty high in NY. Groceries is the only one that I don't know about yet, but I would think it would have to be astronomically higher to offset the tax and gas savings. I've worked in Rochester a lot, but never lived there. Ironic because my BS is from RIT... totally completed by the distance program. I believe that the struggles of Rochester's big industries has probably helped keep the cost of living down there. Albany has the state government to help keep unemployment low and keep the economy stable, and I'd expect Raleigh to benefit from that as well, although the much more thriving tech industry there is one of the things that is attracting me there.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,837 times
I have also heard that the COL is less but it is made up by the salaries and other hidden expenses. You can get more for your dollar but there are other things you must pay for with the rest of your money. In NJ, my daughters get free health insurance and free childcare from 3-Kindergarten. I was told by and NCer that moved up here that all of that will end because that is not the case in NC or at least the town where she was from. I am concerned because my baby girl will only be 2 when we get there.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
The South isn't famous for lots of free services.

Medicaid/welfare are very stingy here to keep those taxes down.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyVessel79 View Post
I have also heard that the COL is less but it is made up by the salaries and other hidden expenses. You can get more for your dollar but there are other things you must pay for with the rest of your money. In NJ, my daughters get free health insurance and free childcare from 3-Kindergarten. I was told by and NCer that moved up here that all of that will end because that is not the case in NC or at least the town where she was from. I am concerned because my baby girl will only be 2 when we get there.
I really mean no offense to you at all, and I plan on having my first child this year, but why should the state pay for FREE childcare for your daughters? Nothing is free, so that means free childcare for you takes the money out of your hardworking (childless) neighbors pocket. Tell me how that is fair?

People in public service do not make as much here as they do in certain areas of NY and NJ, that is a good reason why our taxes are less. Salaries are a good 80% to 90% of the budget for schools, Police, etc. When the average cop is making $80-$100k in ny and only making $40k here that is a HUGE difference. There is waste in every state governement, but states like NY and NJ take the cake and that is not to say that I don't think our Police, Firefighters, and teachers derserve that much money, but it comes at a great cost to the citizens of those locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina