Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
LOL, Choloboy schooled someone...
Just in case you didn't know. At first glance I count 8 or so of his list of rankings. As state rankings. Not to mention A majority of the other rankings Raleigh ranks higher. Example Forbes best place for business. I think Raleigh was number 1 on that list! You guys need to stop while you're ahead. At least make it challenging.

As to your question or comment. About me knowing nothing about Charlotte. Also the question have I ever been there? Quick answer I come to Charlotte maybe between 6 and 8 times a year. Oh you didn't know my fiancé is a Charlotte native. She's sitting right next to me right now. As a matter of fact I'm getting married in the big city in 15 days. Is that familiar enough for you?

Btw you should have checked cholos list before cheerleading. You should know better. Raleigh is very highly thought of by the national media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:24 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Central Charlotte still needs to do something with the remaining surface parking lots. Aside from that, I am impressed with central Charlotte's growth...

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
What areas in Charlotte should I check out if I love urban walkable neighborhoods? I know about Uptown. Doesn't Charlotte have a few other interesting neighborhoods? I'll just be there for the day, but would like to check out some areas before/after the Panthers game.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:36 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Central Charlotte still needs to do something with the remaining surface parking lots. Aside from that, I am impressed with central Charlotte's growth...

You and I both know that a lot of those lots are being developed

Old 12-17-2015, 11:01 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
You and I both know that a lot of those lots are being developed
Yeah... 3 of the lots by BBT are already under construction with one of the buildings being already around 30 floors and the other around 10 floors now and the other one about to be ground level 1st floor.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And probably healthcare if we're talking the Triangle vs. metro Charlotte.

There's no guarantee that Charlotte will remain superior in all these categories although it probably will. I just wouldn't speak with 100% certainty there.

The Triad probably rates higher in healthcare than Charlotte too...Wake Forest Baptist is one of the top 3 hospitals in the state, has the top-rated cancer center, and as annually ranked among the top 25 in the nation in several specialties.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Do you really want to have a discussion about rankings? Raleigh as well as the entire Triangle out rank Charlotte in almost every way imaginable. Best place to live,work,start a business,walk your dog,cross the street,get a haircut lol. Get a grip and stop while you are ahead.

Btw only lead in education you say? I think you forgot a few things.

Better arts scene
Better restaurant scene
Better schools(public)
Better health care
Better traffic(MUCH BETTER)
Better live music scene
Better bars. Raleigh Times. Most popular in state. Fox liquor Bar. Nationally ranked
I'm sure I forgot a couple of things,but you get the point.

One last thing please pick one standard. You can't compare Raleigh to Charlotte and then reference Concord mills. You guys have a bad habit for doing that. Thought I would point that out. Maybe you were unaware of the error. Frankly it's almost impossible to get a true picture of both areas city vs city IMO. It doesn't give an accurate view of everything each area has to offer. Once again IMO.

Last thing to the poster(can't remember your name) who posted the Raleigh metro numbers vs the Charlotte metro numbers. We've been down this road before. Not even going to rehash that it's not even worth it. I will say this though. I work for a Fortune 500 company located right outside the official RTP boundaries. Still considered in the Park though,Wake Co side. Everything says blank of Raleigh/Durham. Not of Raleigh. Our corporate location code is RDU. Point being,well I'm sure you get the point.

There are better arts scenes in NC outside of Raleigh and Charlotte...Asheville and Winston-Salem have more established/better arts scenes than either one. I wouldn't get too caught up in comparing Raleigh to Charlotte and forget that there are other cities in NC that compete with both of them very well.

Rating healthcare is useless...all three metros are close enough to get healthcare in any of them. I was going to go to Duke's cancer center at first but Wake's is rated higher and is much closer.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Omg have you seen all the dealerships on South Blvd?: tape: lol I'm completely messing with you. Soooo back to the discussion at hand.
I honestly feel that each city fills different and that's a good thing if you ask me. Charlotte got a lot and doing its thing. Raleigh is punching above it class and the same goes for the triad. That's what makes North Carolina so diverse. Not one city feels likes it's another.

NC is lucky to have 3 quality metros that compete well with each other, plus several areas outside of those 3 that deserve a mention. Many states are lucky if they have 1 that is worth discussing.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
NC is lucky to have 3 quality metros that compete well with each other, plus several areas outside of those 3 that deserve a mention. Many states are lucky if they have 1 that is worth discussing.

Right, not many States can claim what you just said. I just don't get what the obsession is to say which city is similar and which tries to be like another. I'm sorry, but there isn't a city in the Carolina's like Charlotte so deal with it. Raleigh has one of the most prestigious research parks in the world. Deal with it. The Triad contains some of the best old School North Carolina Charm. Deal with it. This is what I want to say to everyone that wants to use statics to judge what each area truly is.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:45 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What areas in Charlotte should I check out if I love urban walkable neighborhoods? I know about Uptown. Doesn't Charlotte have a few other interesting neighborhoods? I'll just be there for the day, but would like to check out some areas before/after the Panthers game.
There are areas in central Charlotte such as Midtown, South End, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Wesley Heights, and Plaza Midwood. These areas are not super urban like Boston or Chicago, but they do have a good bit of pedestrian friendly development. Personally, I'd walk around 3rd Ward and/or 4th ward if you're in town for a Panthers game. Those neighborhoods are nice and they are a short walk from the stadium.

You could also ride Charlotte's streetcar out from Time Warner Area to Novant Medical (the end of the line). From Novant, you can walk Northbound on Hawthorne to Plaza Midwood.

https://goo.gl/maps/uG1TTjcBofC2

https://goo.gl/maps/Kc8AgFKk3nu

https://goo.gl/maps/2N8HTQR41gv

The links above is the Hawthorne Lane area after getting off the streetcar. The following are 4th and 3rd Wards.

https://goo.gl/maps/eAKXDXcbw442

https://goo.gl/maps/JKEqrQjXKQG2

https://goo.gl/maps/zDD61a5bNJC2

The next 3 are South End streetviews...

https://goo.gl/maps/YKrfwcvmuGy

https://goo.gl/maps/48bsLJAaBw12

https://goo.gl/maps/jjazjVPEQFH2

Imo, the area closest to the stadium (3rd and 4th wards) is the best urban eye-candy that Charlotte has to offer. However, there are some decent pockets of stroll districts just outside of uptown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina