Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Minor league baseball
Tanger Performing Arts Center
Downtown Greenway
Bellemeade Village
New hotels and office buildings
Multiple breweries and new restaurants
Lebauer City Park
Union Square Campus
Cityview Apartments
Carolina Theater
Center City Park
Historical, children's and civil rights museums

and much, much more.
That's a nice list of good stuff happening in Greensboro. Do you like it better than the similar things in downtown Raleigh? Plenty of apartments, shops, breweries, restaurants, performing arts centers, the busiest and some of the best museums in the state, and more in downtown Raleigh, too. I do like downtown Greensboro, but not over downtown Raleigh.

(And this doesn't have anything to do with Raleigh, but just to set it straight, there's no better minor league baseball show than the Durham Bulls. Folks talk up the Charlotte Knights or the Asheville Tourists, but the Bulls are just tops.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What does the Triad have that transplants would consider attractive? I just never hear of the Triad as a suggested place to move to.
I'd actually really recommend visiting Winston-Salem sometime. It has a lot of culture and things to do for a city of its size, such as Old Salem (NC's version of Williamsburg), 4th Street, the Downtown Arts District, the West End, the Reynolda House/Gardens/Village, etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's a nice list of good stuff happening in Greensboro. Do you like it better than the similar things in downtown Raleigh? Plenty of apartments, shops, breweries, restaurants, performing arts centers, the busiest and some of the best museums in the state, and more in downtown Raleigh, too. I do like downtown Greensboro, but not over downtown Raleigh.

(And this doesn't have anything to do with Raleigh, but just to set it straight, there's no better minor league baseball show than the Durham Bulls. Folks talk up the Charlotte Knights or the Asheville Tourists, but the Bulls are just tops.)
The biggest problem with downtown Raleigh is that its too big and spread out. To get from one business or area to another at night you pass by blocks of empty office buildings or vacant lots, accosted by aggressive panhandlers.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Winston-Salem is a beautiful city. I love its bustling, artsy downtown and research park. It's skyline is really neat and has a lot of character. I also like its foothill location. You can see mountains to the west on a clear day from downtown.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
A city's identity is usually the most urbanized parts of the city. In most southern cities, the only urban part of town is the downtown area. Asheville, Greenville SC, Charleston, and many others are all judged by their respective downtowns. Raleigh is certainly bigger than Greensboro in terms of suburbanization (as if that's something to be proud of). As a "city", Greensboro competes with Raleigh quite easily (especially when considering the size difference of the two).

https://youtu.be/n6QEGzI1TdE
Ok I couldn't help myself. Don't post much lately,but this video is proof of what? First off not all items featured in this video are even in downtown Greensboro. The convention center at four seasons and the brewery for example. Secondly I only saw one thing in entire video that raleigh doesn't have. Downtown or otherwise or at least something comparable. Edit: except Emerald Point(fun place by the way)

Back to the comments or comparisons about nightlife between Raleigh and Greensboro. Fayetteville st and Elm st may be equal. Don't know never been to Elm street. But when the issue of night life comes up. Fayetteville Street is not the main attraction in DT Raleigh IMO. Glenwood South including West Street. Along with the Warehouse District would be where I would start the nightlife conversation. Are there any areas in Greensboro like those two areas?

Last edited by Atowwn; 12-14-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 12:31 AM

464 posts, read 523,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that this is the problem with your discussion with carolinadawg. Your use of the word always in this post is a problem. Just when does always begin by your definition? By most people's definition it would start with Raleigh's founding. You do realize that Raleigh was not the original state capital, I assume.
I'm pretty sure he /she knows what I meant

Last edited by epicene101; 12-15-2015 at 12:57 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 AM

464 posts, read 523,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
What Charlotte posters have declared that? You've made some pretty rude comments on CLT and I don't believe a single Charlotte poster commented on them or has said anything negative about Raleigh
Pretty rude comments? Really? Oh Charlotte crew lol.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Ok I couldn't help myself. Don't post much lately,but this video is proof of what? First off not all items featured in this video are even in downtown Greensboro. The convention center at four seasons and the brewery for example. Secondly I only saw one thing in entire video that raleigh doesn't have.
And THAT was my point. When it comes to "things to do", Greensboro has many of the same things that can be found in Raleigh.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
I'm pretty sure he /she knows what I meant
I assumed you meant what you wrote, which was that Raleigh was "always destined for greatness". As in from its founding in the 1790's. Thats an absurd statement.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And THAT was my point. When it comes to "things to do", Greensboro has many of the same things that can be found in Raleigh.
I don't really think so and I like Greensboro, but I don't think it has nearly as many "things to do" as Raleigh in general, or more specifically downtown Raleigh. But I do like Greensboro and think it's well worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina