Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Charlotte finally made it to the big time. A top ranking you can be ashamed of!! Charlotte's crime rates not looking positive. But at least you have a beautiful skyline!!
Charlotte added to list of
That's it! In addition to a low tech talent pool, Charlotte can now also point to its high crime rate as a 2nd reason why they were snubbed by Amazon.

Anything to deflect attention away from the poor job that city and county officials have done at creating educational and economic opportunities for all of its citizens.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
That's it! In addition to a low tech talent pool, Charlotte can now also point to its high crime rate as a 2nd reason why they were snubbed by Amazon.
You do realize...

Never mind.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM

749 posts, read 1,317,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You do realize...

Never mind.
LOL my thoughts exactly. Hello Columbus. Hello Nashville.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
LOL my thoughts exactly. Hello Columbus. Hello Nashville.
Over half the Amazon cities had more violent homicide rates than Charlotte in that list.... perhaps Charlotte's homicide rate was just too "average" for Amazon.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
One asset we have is being closer to..... South Carolina! South Carolina is great. It's politics are basically that of VA if not more blue if you exclude Washington DC, basically. But give me Charleston any DAY of the week over Roanoke, Lynchburg, Charlottesville or Norfolk.
Eh, Charleston is cool and all but as a tradeoff, the Triangle is closer to Wilmington, and the Outer Banks. I would take NC's coast and mountains over any of its neighbors any day. That's just an opinion though.

Charlotte is closer to the mountains, which is a good asset.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Almost every single major city / population center in the country is on the "List." It is essentially a ranking from a crime survey for the members of the Major Cities Chiefs Association. If the county/police department is not a member, it will not be ranked:
List of members: https://www.majorcitieschiefs.com/members.php Please note that some cities are not members (like Greensboro and Durham) and some cities did not complete the survey (like Raleigh and Sacramento). Hence the only conclusion is Charlotte ranks #28 (about right in the middle) of a survey of 61 police departments.

CBS News Ranking of "Most Deadly" https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...&ad_id=7565843

1. St. Louis
2. Baltimore
3. New Orleans
4. Detroit
5. Cleveland
6. Kansas City
7. Memphis
8. Chicago
9. Cincinnati
10. Las Vegas
11. Louisville
12. Tulsa
13. Newark
14. Philadelphia
15. Milwaukee
16. Pittsburgh
17. Oakland
17. Washington DC
19. Nashville
20. Atlanta
21. Columbus
22. Jacksonville, FL
23. Indianapolis
23. Fresno, CA
25. Dallas
26. Miami
26. Albuquerque
28. Charlotte
28. Dekalb County, GA
28. Houston
31. Oklahoma City
32. Orlando
33. Tampa
33. Aurora, CO
35. Witchita, KS
35. Fort Worth
37. Prince George County, MD
38. Phoenix
39. San Antonio
40. Honolulu
40. Denver
42. San Francisco
43. Tuscon
44. Los Angeles
45. Omaha
46. Boston
47. Virginia Beach
48. Long Beach, CA
49. El Paso, TX
49. Mesa, AZ
51. New York City
51. San Jose, CA
53. Seattle
54. San Diego
54. Austin, TX
56. Salt Lake City, UT
57. Suffolk County, NY
58. Montgomery County, MD
59. Fairfax, VA
60. Nassau County, NY
If Raleigh would've completed this survey. Do you really think little boring Raleigh would have been anywhere near middle of the road?

Besides middle of the road on this list is pretty bad actually. Being 26th on a list where 16 cities ahead of you have terrible reputations. At least when speaking of crime especially violent crime. Just look at 1-6,8 is Chicago. The right behind then Las Vegas,DC,Oakland,Atlanta and Miami. That's not a good look for the Capital of the Carolinas!

Y'all wanted to roll with the big boys. I looks like your wish has been granted Charlotte is now a big city when it comes to crime,congratulations. The rest well,work in progress.

87 killings in 2017. This is North Carolina!!! That's outrageous. 26 in Raleigh which I find disheartening also. That being said almost 4 times as many murders in Charlotte vs Raleigh. In all seriousness that's a problem that needs serious attention ASAP!!!!!! Even is you add in Durham,Cary,and Chapel Hill I don't think it will add up to 87,thank god!!!

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-13-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM

459 posts, read 373,532 times
That Charlotte Amazon video was just really, really bad. Poorly made, talked down about Seattle (fyi they're not moving just adding another HQ, they'll still be in Seattle), and the list goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte was on the list and that video knocked it down just enough to fall of that list.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Eh, Charleston is cool and all but as a tradeoff, the Triangle is closer to Wilmington, and the Outer Banks. I would take NC's coast and mountains over any of its neighbors any day. That's just an opinion though.

Charlotte is closer to the mountains, which is a good asset.

Wilmington vs. Charleston?

You, my friend. Are crazy. I go to Wrightsville often. And there is no comparison to the international and popular destination that is Charleston vs. Wilmington lol

Are you guys really so desperate to have meltdowns over anything Charlotte? We have higher crime. Is this some sort of revelation?

And FYI... pretty sure Durham would rank above Charlotte in this list.

Either way. If Charlotte is too big and scary, then don’t visit and stay in North Hills. Problem solved.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...am-really.html
^ worry about Durham.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You, my friend. Are crazy. I go to Wrightsville often. And there is no comparison to the international and popular destination that is Charleston vs. Wilmington

Are you guys really so desperate to have meltdowns over anything Charlotte?
I mean, the "South Carolina is an asset" post read an awful lot like a meltdown.

Charleston is merely a larger Wilmington. It is great, and I like the city a lot. Let's not exaggerate what it is though. Wilmington is sufficient to satisfy my coastal city needs, and it's only 2 hours away. I can do day trips there easily.

The whole eastern seaboard kinda looks same-ish to me. There are no cliffs or coral reefs or crystal Mediterranean waters. There's nothing hugely special about it. It's just a flat sandy beach for thousands of miles. The Triangle is closer to the flat sandy beach, so if that's what you care about then there you go. Charlotte is closer to the mountains, which frankly I consider a better asset personally. Sorry if that seems "hugely biased".

Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I mean, the "South Carolina is an asset" post read an awful lot like a meltdown.

Charleston is merely a larger Wilmington. It is great, and I like the city a lot. Let's not exaggerate what it is though. Wilmington is sufficient to satisfy my coastal city needs, and it's only 2 hours away. I can do day trips there easily.

The whole eastern seaboard kinda looks same-ish to me. There are no cliffs or coral reefs or crystal Mediterranean waters. There's nothing hugely special about it. It's just a flat sandy beach for thousands of miles. The Triangle is closer to the flat sandy beach, so if that's what you care about then there you go. Charlotte is closer to the mountains, which frankly I consider a better asset personally. Sorry if that seems "hugely biased".

I don’t like mountains. I’m a beach guy. But honestly. Charleston is such a well known tourist destination. It’s famous. Wilmington isn’t.

And the reason I mention SC as an asset is because of the last few pages of ragging on South Carolina. SC is a great state. Charleston is often rated as a top tourist destination. Savannah, Charleston and New Orleans have amazing southern character
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina