Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Zero. The GA hates both cities and continually tries to punish both of them for their insolence.

When Raleigh voted Republicans completely off their schoolboard--for the busing fiasco they caused, and for politicizing the duties of schoolboard--which had operated independently from politics until then, the General Assembly responded by shifting some of the power from the schoolboard to Wake County Board of Commissioners, which was still held by a Republican majority at the time. Raleigh then responded by voting out every single Republican on that board as well in the following election, and nearly every Republican in every seat of local government. Being the sore losers that they are, the GA responded by overstepping their Constitutional abilities and gerrymandering all of these seats for future races, after which Raleigh democrats STILL managed to win majorities in the city council and schoolboard. The BOC race was set to presidential election years now to try to improve Republican turnout and make the gerrymandering actually work. We'll see if it does.

Republicans were competitive in these seats when they were moderates, back in the day. The GA is trying to push teabaggers into local offices though and that's simply too conservative to be viable in Wake County.

They also lost a lot of good graces in Raleigh by retroactively canceling the Dorothea Dix deal that governor Perdue had set up the previous year--rewriting the deal to force Raleigh taxpayers to pay several times as much for the property.

They've also targeted Charlotte, Asheville, and Greensboro with various things over this time.
This is spot on accurate. Not to mention the Triangle overall is more liberal than the Charlotte Metrolina region. It really is a case of the GOP gerrymandering their way around the state. Hence why they had to redraw a few districts.

HB2 had nothing to do with Raleigh vs Charlotte. The rivalry between the two cities is friendly and is pushing NC to greater heights.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Better late than never. Another National Title for the Triangle. Attachment 183122
At least one team can bring home the big one to NC
Thanks goodness Kennedy Meeks (from Charlotte) and Luke Maye (Huntersville) contributed heavily during that title run...without them no UNC title. UNC had stars from Charlotte, Greensboro, Oxford,etc ...none from the Triangle. Matter of fact, without the greater Charlotte metro, most of the Triangle teams would lack for success with all the talent funneled from the QC to the Triangle.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:33 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
They've also targeted Charlotte, Asheville, and Greensboro with various things over this time.
They screwed with Wilson as well by preventing the city from expanding it's Greenlight fiber internet service thanks to Time Warner Cable having the ear of Thom Tillis.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Thanks goodness Kennedy Meeks (from Charlotte) and Luke Maye (Huntersville) contributed heavily during that title run...without them no UNC title. UNC had stars from Charlotte, Greensboro, Oxford,etc ...none from the Triangle. Matter of fact, without the greater Charlotte metro, most of the Triangle teams would lack for success with all the talent funneled from the QC to the Triangle.
Good try but no sale! All teams have players from all over the country. In some cases all over the world. So what's your point? Oh you don't really have one,never mind .

What dose your post have to do with the fact that none of the teams down there can bring home the "Big One"? Nothing!! I'm actually a casual Panthers fan wish they'd won the Super Bowl. Instead of having a choke fest! Not even going there with the Hornets. The fact remains it seems that NC's only hope of "sports glory" or "greatness" will have to come out of the Triangle. If I was a betting man. I'd bet good money that none of Charlotte's teams will ever win the big one. NEVER EVER LOL🤣🤣🤣

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...asketball_team

Justin Jackson,Texas. The MVP Joel Berry,Florida.

Last edited by Atowwn; 04-08-2017 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I gotta give a shout out to Kennedy! He has made a lot of people very proud. The Observer recently did a story about Kennedy and his Great-grandmother.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlot...141990594.html

I think this whole Charlotte vs Triangle thing is stupid; especially when it comes to sports. If you're talented at basketball, it's a no-brainer that you'd choose the Triangle schools over Charlotte area schools (unless you're snubbed by the Triangle schools like Steph Curry was lol).

Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 AM

17 posts, read 16,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
we don't Charlotte citizens just feels like it's rightfully due the most important and special place in the state

they can't seem to believe it's not the capital
As a Charlotte born citizen and current resident, I don't feel this way. I actually see Raleigh citizens being the ones with the chip on their shoulder.

"We're the capital, why don't we get all the tall buildings... we're the most important and special place in the state! It's our right as the capital!"

Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Relatively few state capitals are the most populous in the state or the cultural center.

As far as Raleigh citizens' gripe about lack of skyscrapers, I happen to love Raleigh's downtown as it is on a perfect human-scale for a comfortable and walk-able city center. We need to push for more density and expansion, rather than always complaining about building height.

Raleigh is what it is. Charlotte is what it is. I fail to see the need for constant comparison as which one is better. I would personally never live in Charlotte, but I fully understand why people prefer there over here. Different environments and needs for different people.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Relatively few state capitals are the most populous in the state or the cultural center.
Actually about half are and half aren't.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:05 PM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
actually about half are and half aren't.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I count 21 (almost half) and here's how they break down:

Phoenix
Little Rock
Denver
Atlanta
Honolulu
Boise
Indianapolis
Des Moines
Boston
St. Paul (a primary city of the state's largest metro area)
Jackson
Santa Fe (arguably the state's cultural center)
Columbus
OKC
Providence
Columbia
Nashville (largest metro area, will eclipse Memphis in municipal population soon)
SLC
Richmond (arguably the state's cultural center)
Charleston
Cheyenne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina