Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 01:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, that's just one of the downsides of big city living and you have to take the good with the bad. If Raleigh truly has big city aspirations, it will eventually have to deal with similar situations.
Frankly this is a bs excuse for bad behavior. Big city or not. I imagine all the shooting lately are a big city symptom also,hog wash!!! If anything it's a lack of leadership at the top. Ignoring important things like public education. While putting everything into sone dream of being a big city. In the end it's a matter of what a city values.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:17 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Frankly this is a bs excuse for bad behavior. Big city or not. I imagine all the shooting lately are a big city symptom also,hog wash!!! If anything it's a lack of leadership at the top. Ignoring important things like public education. While putting everything into sone dream of being a big city. In the end it's a matter of what a city values.
Show me a big city in the US that doesn't deal with this sort of thing from time to time. I'll wait.

If you think Raleigh is going to keep growing and growing and won't have to deal with these sorts of issues, to some degree, sooner or later, then you're in for a really rude awakening.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:13 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Where Charlotte and Raleigh different the most are in the economics.

There are 12 Fortune 500 in North Carolina.
Charlotte has 5 fortune 500 companies Head quarters in its city limits and 2 more in its metro.
Raleigh 0

Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 8th busiest airport in the US and 25th in the world.
Charlotte also has a second regional airport in Concord with Allegiant Air.

RDU is a medium size airport and rank 39 in US airports.

Charlotte is the number 2 banking center in the USA.
Charlotte metro has 1,018 foreign companies that employ 66,000 people.
Germany is larges with 209 companies and 17,020 people.
Charlotte has daily flights to Munich, Germany by Lufthansa Airlines and Frankfurt Germany by American Airlines.

The Charlotte Chapter of the North Carolina World Trade Association is one of the largest in the nation.

Charlotte Metro GNP is 132 Billion
Raleigh GNP is 68.5Billion

From April 2010 to July 2015 Charlotte gain 95,673
From April 2010 to July 2015 Raleigh gain 47,174 (second highest in NC)

When you start comparing the economic of both cities, there is the big difference.
Raleigh has many nice thing that Charlotte does not have but like wise Charlotte has many things that Raleigh does not have.

You could live in either city and never miss what the other city has and your city does not have.

I never been to a race at Charlotte Motor Speedway or Z-Max drag strip, I do not go to all the sports games in Charlotte but have been to some. As far as Carowinds been there done that. US White Water Center, been there done that.

I been to the Taste of Charlotte uptown. Been many times to the Belk Theater, Booth Playhouse and Ovens Auditorium.

I like going on trips to other parts of the US, to me it is not all bout Charlotte, but it is where I now live.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:33 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Show me a big city in the US that doesn't deal with this sort of thing from time to time. I'll wait.

If you think Raleigh is going to keep growing and growing and won't have to deal with these sorts of issues, to some degree, sooner or later, then you're in for a really rude awakening.
We're not talking about a big city. We're talking about Charlotte lol.
Even if I accept your point,obviously I don't. A shooting incident every year,come on man!

That tells me and anyone with common sense,there's an issue. Certainly not something that can be excused or explained away so simply.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Cuba fights. Note: Charlotte Douglas International Airport has 1 flight a day.

http://cubajournal.co/here-are-all-d...e-u-s-in-2016/

Old 05-13-2017, 05:55 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Where Charlotte and Raleigh different the most are in the economics.

There are 12 Fortune 500 in North Carolina.
Charlotte has 5 fortune 500 companies Head quarters in its city limits and 2 more in its metro.
Raleigh 0

Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the 8th busiest airport in the US and 25th in the world.
Charlotte also has a second regional airport in Concord with Allegiant Air.

RDU is a medium size airport and rank 39 in US airports.

Charlotte is the number 2 banking center in the USA.
Charlotte metro has 1,018 foreign companies that employ 66,000 people.
Germany is larges with 209 companies and 17,020 people.
Charlotte has daily flights to Munich, Germany by Lufthansa Airlines and Frankfurt Germany by American Airlines.

The Charlotte Chapter of the North Carolina World Trade Association is one of the largest in the nation.

Charlotte Metro GNP is 132 Billion
Raleigh GNP is 68.5Billion

From April 2010 to July 2015 Charlotte gain 95,673
From April 2010 to July 2015 Raleigh gain 47,174 (second highest in NC)

When you start comparing the economic of both cities, there is the big difference.
Raleigh has many nice thing that Charlotte does not have but like wise Charlotte has many things that Raleigh does not have.

You could live in either city and never miss what the other city has and your city does not have.

I never been to a race at Charlotte Motor Speedway or Z-Max drag strip, I do not go to all the sports games in Charlotte but have been to some. As far as Carowinds been there done that. US White Water Center, been there done that.

I been to the Taste of Charlotte uptown. Been many times to the Belk Theater, Booth Playhouse and Ovens Auditorium.

I like going on trips to other parts of the US, to me it is not all bout Charlotte, but it is where I now live.
I think it would behoove Charlotteans to drop the terms "big city" and "large city" in referring to Charlotte being in same league with America's major cities (i.e. largest metropolitan areas).

Charlotte's probably will get there, but it's not among them yet.

I've lived all over the country including 5 years in LA and 10 in NYC.

I'm gonna say these positives about Charlotte:

1) Its has the components & and the layout of a big city/ metropolis, The Triangle's components are small-town & local-feeling.

2) Charlotte looks much bigger from the air than the Triangle.

3) Charlotte of course has a beautiful, tall skyline, while Raleigh citizens don't think about architecture or Raleigh's skyline at all, probably because they've never had any tall building to get excited about and start the conversation.

4) Charlotte has more freeways, more expensive interchanges, highway lights (needing repair), busier airport with non-stop lines of jets waiting to land visible from I-85. But O&D travelers are roughly the same for CLT and RDU.

5) All in all, Charlotte has most of its identity invested in being a world city. Raleigh doesn't aspire to anything more than it is today.

6) All in all, Charlotte has much more momentum built up, & the world is just starting to take notice and remember that skyline travelling through American's hub. Raleigh doesn't any landmarks or buildings to stick in people's minds yet. Charlotte will pull ahead in population growth with this momentum. Strangely, NC's transportation 2040 plan predicts the Triangle will become state's most populous with 3.2 million residents, maybe because SC counties wouldn't be included.

1) That said, Charlotte didn't catapult into the same league as America's major cities because of a few tall buildings. It doesn't feel anything like the true big cities.

2) Charlotte city limits can't be used as the main criteria for ranking it with other cities, it sounds as foolish and San Diegans claiming to the 3rd or 4th biggest city in America.

3) Wake county is very big in sq. miles, but trails Mecklenburg by less than 20,000 people.

4) Of course, stupidly Raleigh.Cary and Durham/Chapel Hill are 2 separate MSAs now. But their city limits touch, so the bottom line the Triangle has 2,000,000 and Charlotte has 2,300,000.

5) Raleigh's television market was, at last check last year, slightly bigger (24th vs. Charlotte 25th largest). My feeling is that Fayetteville is the reason. It may have changed by now.

6) I think Charlotte trying to disassociate itself with North Carolina couldn't be more mis-informed, because the state has a lot of good cachet in this country and around the world. I also lived in Paris and Europeans thought very highly of NC.

7) Don't be offended by this, but the rural counties and people in Western NC might be smidgen worse than Eastern NC's manufactured home-loving, agriculture and hog farming communities. I'm from Franklin County, NC and am one of those "hicks".

8) Y'all have the designation as NC's only metropolis, that's permanent. But please be proud and talk up the entire state. Because not one person in LA or NYC bashes anywhere else in the country. They respect all other places. It's only cities with resentment or an inferiority complex (like San Franciscans always bashing Southern California, though deep down they're jealous of the perfect weather) that are always bashing rival cities

9) I think SAS in Cary is a fortune 500 company.

10) Charlotte will gain more respect by being humble than trying to convince the world how great it is.

Last edited by architect77; 05-13-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Raleigh has its crime problems also.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/raleigh/crime

Charlotte population is 1.8 times bigger than Raleighs population.

Charlotte
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/charlotte/crime

Old 05-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Largest 100 TV Markets in USA.

Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

Fortune 500 Companies headquarter in North Carolina

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-s...-500-list.html

It is projected that the City of Charlotte will hit 1 million by 2024-2025. Does this mean it is still not a large city.

I do not compare Charlotte with any other city in the world. I just look what is going on here. Today Charlotte has over 5.3 million square of office space in center city under construction or planned. This will give Center City Charlotte more than 27 million square feet of office space. There are 21 hotels in uptown with 3 under construction and 9 more plan for uptown. . 5 Hotels are under Construction or planned for SouthEnd.
I have watched one of the biggest building boom of a city since 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-13-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I think it would behoove Charlotteans to drop the terms "big city" and "large city" in referring to Charlotte being in same league with America's major cities (i.e. largest metropolitan areas).
Well it is a major city. It's the 22nd largest MSA in the country. No it's not New York/Chicago/LA/Houston big but that's irrelevant. It's on par with cities like Denver, Baltimore, St Louis, Portland in population and I think it is totally fair to consider it a peer to those. I suppose you could also call these mid-sized cities, it's just a matter of semantics. 'Major' is relative.

Quote:
3) Charlotte of course has a beautiful, tall skyline, while Raleigh citizens don't think about architecture or Raleigh's skyline at all, probably because they've never had any tall building to get excited about and start the conversation.
Raleighites do think about this and we'd like to see more. It is rather heartbreaking what happened, because back in 2008 there was an Austin-level amount of proposals. Two 600 footers, several 400 footers, a few more 300s and 200s... Everything got canceled though after the recession hit! If it had just happened two years earlier Raleigh would have a skyline that would stand on par with Nashville's. But that's not how things happened.

The low-rises kept coming in and downtown's population and retail kept improving rapidly over the past several years, but we're only just now starting to see a wave of midrises go up, after a long long wait. The thing we can take from this though is that the region can support a skyline boom and it will happen eventually. It's just a matter of waiting for the conditions to be ideal again.

Quote:
8) Y'all have the designation as NC's only metropolis, that's permanent. But please be proud and talk up the entire state. Because not one person in LA or NYC bashes anywhere in the country. They respect all other places. It's only cities with resentment or inferiority complex (like San Franciscans always bashing Southern California, though deep down they're jealous of the perfect weather)
It isn't the only metropolis. As you pointed out the Triangle's population is not far behind (and the Triad should be considered too). What I would say is that Charlotte is the only mid-sized city in the state at the moment, and the others are small cities that simply amalgamate into large metro areas. Raleigh is starting to put in some distance between itself and the others, and will likely jump into the next tier up in a few years. It will probably always be smaller than Charlotte but much the same way that Houston and Dallas are still compared against each other, I see a similar dynamic appearing in this state, on a smaller scale. NC will certainly not be seen as a one-city state in the future.

Last edited by Vatnos; 05-13-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
It isn't the only metropolis. As you pointed out the Triangle's population is not far behind (and the Triad should be considered too). What I would say is that Charlotte is the only major city in the state at the moment, and the others are small cities that simply amalgamate into large metro areas. Raleigh is starting to put in some distance between itself and the others, and will likely jump into the next tier up in a few years. It will probably always be smaller than Charlotte but much the same way that Houston and Dallas are still compared against each other, I see a similar dynamic appearing in this state, on a smaller scale.
I can agree with that. I'm just wondering what will it take for the Triad to catch fire like Charlotte and the Triangle has. NC will be better off with 3 growth magnets instead of only two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina