Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:55 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
If a woman wants to finish her workout and then shower in a female only shower as she always has, with no biological males in the shower with her, why can't she without being called all kinds of awful names? This is not just about toilet stalls.
Your completely missing the point. 13 states have the same laws as Charlotte's ordinance and none have had a statistical increase in sex crimes. Unfathomable how some defend HB2.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your completely missing the point. 13 states have the same laws as Charlotte's ordinance and none have had a statistical increase in sex crimes. Unfathomable how some defend HB2.
Including allowing biological men to "SHOWER" with women or just use the toilet? How do they stop horny teenagers and twenty-somethings from claiming they identify as female, just so they can shower with females?

NC Constitution does not allow Charlotte to create such an ordinance. Hence the need to strike it down, though written very poorly in HB2 and needing a re-write. How can Charlotte pass such an ordinance, when the state constitution prohibits it?

Again, what about women's rights? Why do all women have to lose their rights to shower as they have, so a fraction of a percent of people who are biological males, but feel more like a female can shower with them? Shouldn't there be a better option, where BOTH sides can win in this! Why vilify millions of innocent women?

There are real lives involved here, not just a political party you may not like.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:30 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
Quote:
Including allowing biological men to "SHOWER" with women or just use the toilet? How do they stop horny teenagers and twenty-somethings from claiming they identify as female, just so they can shower with females?

NC Constitution does not allow Charlotte to create such an ordinance. Hence the need to strike it down, though written very poorly in HB2 and needing a re-write. How can Charlotte pass such an ordinance, when the state constitution prohibits it?

Again, what about women's rights? Why do all women have to lose their rights to shower as they have, so a fraction of a percent of people who are biological males, but feel more like a female can shower with them? Shouldn't there be a better option, where BOTH sides can win in this! Why vilify millions of innocent women?

There are real lives involved here, not just a political party you may not like.
Do you understand what transgender is? You talk about lives being threatened but provide zero statistics. I have provided two so far.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Do you understand what transgender is? You talk about lives being threatened but provide zero statistics. I have provided two so far.
I sure do understand what Transgender is and I never said anything about live's being threatened. Where did you get that from? I talked about women wanting their right to shower without biological men in the shower with them and I talked about the likelihood that some horny teenagers and twenty-something biological males would "claim" to be Transgender, just so they could shower with a bunch of naked women. I didn't say anything about live's being threatened. I talked about millions of women losing their long standing rights of privacy for the newly designed rights of a fraction of a percent of the population, so there should be a better way. I also mentioned that it would be impossible to police who is a true transgender in the women's shower and who is just a horndog male using it as an excuse to shower with naked women. It would be a mess.

I think some people are so worked up in some preconceived argument, that they are not even seeing what is being typed.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You and many are missing or skipping the point that the NC state constitution does NOT allow Charlotte to pass such an ordinance. That is why HB2 was required, as poorly written as it was.

Are you aware that the Charlotte ordinance was not allowed?

Old 04-16-2016, 03:56 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, Mel Watt's 12th district was created in 1990 as one of two "black-majority" districts in NC (the other being the 1st, in Northeast NC). It originally WAS ridiculous, encompassing essentially every black neighborhood from Durham to Charlotte. It was challenged and changed to make it not QUITE so "long and thin". In the redistricting after 2000, it changed a little more but was still clearly drawn to encompass minority neighborhoods from the Triad to Charlotte.

However, after 2010 when the GOP drew the maps currently in use, they RETAINED district 12 in a similar shape to what it was after 2000! They can point to that as "Democratic gerrymandering gone wild", but why didn't they get rid of tit when they could have?

Answer: it HELPS Republicans to cram all of the Democrats into a few districts, as we saw with what they did not only with NC12 and NC1 but also NC4, David Price's district that used to be very Triangle-centered, and was redrawn to snake down into the poor sections of Fayetteville to pull those voters from the now-Redder districts around Fayetteville. Meanwhile, wealthier suburban (Republican-leaning) places in the Triangle got put into NC 6, 2, or 13, strengthening those as Republican majorities.

So when Republicans point to District 12 as a "Democratic gerrymander" that is supposed to invalidate the complaints against the 2010 gerrymandering, it's absurd. They took that concept much farther and created much MORE solid-Blue districts in order to make all of the other ones Redder, which is how we ended up with over 50% of Congressional votes going to Democrats and yet our Congressional representation currently standing at 10R-3D! Even at the "worst" of Democratic gerrymandering, it was 7D-6R which actually approximates the ratio of registered Rs and Ds in the state.
So the question is how did the Republicans win so many legislative districts prior to the redistricting that everyone is complaining about if that's the only reason? They won under democrat constructed districts. So, I don't think that's the whole problem and people who focus only on redistricting as the only reason miss the underlying issue.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:16 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
OP..I feel your pain too..But the sooner people realize that elections have consequences the better!! Sitting at home and complaining will never correct the loaded legislatures that get to pass all sorts of bills that's on their "Bucket List"..Then of course, gerrymander districts to re-assure those politicians to maintain their CONTROL!!

I won't even go into voter suppression efforts as well..These folks know full well their demographics ..and adds to the gerrymandering districts to hoops/loops to DISABLE voters who would counter their agenda!!

Once SCOTUS ruled back in 2013 "Voting Rights Act" invalidating KEY parts literally gave a GREEN LIGHT for those States who had previously required oversight and prevue of any altering of those states trying to hinder ability to vote..
Supreme Court Invalidates Key Part of Voting Rights Act

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us...ted%3Dall&_r=0

It appears most of those STATES had waiting "A-ready" to move into motion to cut back voting districts/days available/voter ID and so on!! By doing this..while they know they will be challenged..however they also know a few election cycles will pass before it gets dumped..meanwhile Taxpayers from those STATES have to PAY for their defence of the "INDEFENSIBLE"!! It's just so obvious to me watching this..and now SCOTUS is minus a Judge so it's in limbo too...SMH!!

For those of you living in NC..get out and vote!! PASS IT ALONG!!..because if you DON"T > Consequences will follow !! When I say vote..that means STATE/LOCAL/Federal votes ever time election comes up..NOT Q4 years ( Presidential years)..Loads of evidence of how that works..2 steps forward then 4-6 steps back....

Old 04-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
OP..I feel your pain too..But the sooner people realize that elections have consequences the better!! Sitting at home and complaining will never correct the loaded legislatures that get to pass all sorts of bills that's on their "Bucket List"..Then of course, gerrymander districts to re-assure those politicians to maintain their CONTROL!!

I won't even go into voter suppression efforts as well..These folks know full well their demographics ..and adds to the gerrymandering districts to hoops/loops to DISABLE voters who would counter their agenda!!

Once SCOTUS ruled back in 2013 "Voting Rights Act" invalidating KEY parts literally gave a GREEN LIGHT for those States who had previously required oversight and prevue of any altering of those states trying to hinder ability to vote..
Supreme Court Invalidates Key Part of Voting Rights Act

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us...ted%3Dall&_r=0

It appears most of those STATES had waiting "A-ready" to move into motion to cut back voting districts/days available/voter ID and so on!! By doing this..while they know they will be challenged..however they also know a few election cycles will pass before it gets dumped..meanwhile Taxpayers from those STATES have to PAY for their defence of the "INDEFENSIBLE"!! It's just so obvious to me watching this..and now SCOTUS is minus a Judge so it's in limbo too...SMH!!

For those of you living in NC..get out and vote!! PASS IT ALONG!!..because if you DON"T > Consequences will follow !! When I say vote..that means STATE/LOCAL/Federal votes ever time election comes up..NOT Q4 years ( Presidential years)..Loads of evidence of how that works..2 steps forward then 4-6 steps back....
I think the whole "voter suppression" thing that is put out there is hogwash. Both sides certainly gerrymander the best they can, but there are no efforts to suppress votes. I can't believe people fall for that party line so easily.

I can't stand either party or their tactics, but one thing is for sure, both sides try to get as many votes as possible.....by hook or crook. Voter suppression is not even on the radar.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
How does this law stop them? Do you think some teenager is going to approach a bathroom wanting to shower with females and then stop and say, "Darnit, I really want to be a pervert, but that darn HB2 law was passed so I can't enter!"

Give me a break.

Are you also aware that female to male transsexuals who have male anatomy are now required to use the female showers according to this law?

Quote:
In your support of HB2, you clearly don't care about the lives of LGBT people who are being mistreated under this law.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
You and many are missing or skipping the point that the NC state constitution does NOT allow Charlotte to pass such an ordinance. That is why HB2 was required, as poorly written as it was.

Are you aware that the Charlotte ordinance was not allowed?
Can you cite the relevant part of the NC constitution stating this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina