Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How does this law stop them? Do you think some teenager is going to approach a bathroom wanting to shower with females and then stop and say, "Darnit, I really want to be a pervert, but that darn HB2 law was passed so I can't enter!"

Give me a break.

Are you also aware that female to male transsexuals who have male anatomy are now required to use the female showers according to this law?

In your support of HB2, you clearly don't care about the lives of LGBT people who are being mistreated under this law.
You are looking at it backwards. The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have made it VERY LIKELY that would happen, as all that the horndog straight males would have to do is claim they identify as female in order to be in the shower with females......as long as they did not do anything else. How do you propose the police could tell if someone is being honest about identifying as a female or is only saying they do? The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have created this unworkable mess, making millions of women feel uncomfortable.

The HB2 was required, due to the illegal actions Charlotte took. As I said, HB2 is written poorly and needs a re-write, but still the illegal Charlotte ordinance was required to be stopped by the NC constitution.

I very much care about S, LGB & T lives. All lives matter. Why is it that some people do not seem to care about biological females and their rights? Why do people think that if you are aware that the illegal Charlotte ordinance was not allowed according to the NC constitution, that it must be that you think it should HB2 as written? It's not. How come so many people cannot think outside the box to try to create a solution more workable for more people?

Old 04-16-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Can you cite the relevant part of the NC constitution stating this?
Yes. I suggest everyone read it, then they can as well.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Try not to feel too bad, North Carolina. After Canadian Ted Cruz loses, he has every intention of doing the same thing in Texas, even knowing it will hurt the state economically.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Yes. I suggest everyone read it, then they can as well.
The North Carolina Constitution and Declaration of Rights
The North Carolina Constitution and Declaration of Rights - North Carolina Digital History
snipp~ III-VI~~
Quote:
That no man or set of men are entitled to exclusive or separate emoluments or privileges from the community, but in consideration of public services.
That the legislative, executive, and supreme judicial powers of government, ought to be forever separate and distinct from each other.
That all powers of suspending laws, or the execution of laws, by any authority, without consent of the Representatives of the people, is injurious to their rights, and ought not to be exercised.
That elections of members, to serve as Representatives in General Assembly, ought to be free.
The above shows WHY there's Consequences of elections~~ BEWARE/VOTE every time you get the chance/ on every level !!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Try not to feel too bad, North Carolina. After Canadian Ted Cruz loses, he has every intention of doing the same thing in Texas, even knowing it will hurt the state economically.
Man, i wouldn't wish this upon anybody

Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,972 times
Quote:
You are looking at it backwards. The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have made it VERY LIKELY that would happen, as all that the horndog straight males would have to do is claim they identify as female in order to be in the shower with females......as long as they did not do anything else. How do you propose the police could tell if someone is being honest about identifying as a female or is only saying they do? The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have created this unworkable mess, making millions of women feel uncomfortable.
If we lived in a universe where this ever happened, your post would mean something.

I don't think you've thought any of this through. There's a stigma for presenting yourself as trans in society. Your scenario requires a man to both be attracted to women and also be willing to seen as gender-nonconforming, even though they're just regular straight men, and then they also need to be a rapist, which is also a very small percentage. Very few people, if anybody, fit in this venn diagram.

Sexual assault in bathrooms is almost unheard of. You're in a public place, there's usually people around. You would almost certainly get caught. It just doesn't make sense.

How do you enforce HB2? Have a security guard outside feeling up everyone's crotch? There's no plausible way to enforce it so it's just an honor system. And there's no rational reason why a trans person would reveal that they're trans by following the law. I mean c'mon... trans men usually look pretty buff. I imagine they'd freak out any woman they legally shared the women's room with. If they use the bathroom corresponding to their birth gender, they might get the **** beaten out of them for being trans. But now they have to worry about legal repercussions if they use the bathroom corresponding to their identified gender. It's a cruel situation you're proposing we put these people in.

I mean the more you think about it the less sense HB2 makes. If a man wants to go into a woman's restroom to rape women... what's stopping him anyway? Why does he need to doll up? He's already made up his mind about breaking the law and potentially getting caught. He could literally just wait around a corner and go in at a late hour. It doesn't make any sense. This law does nothing to protect anyone. Guess what? Most women in the state already know about all this and oppose this stupid law.

Quote:
The HB2 was required, due to the illegal actions Charlotte took. As I said, HB2 is written poorly and needs a re-write, but still the illegal Charlotte ordinance was required to be stopped by the NC constitution.
Charlotte's ordinance was not illegal. There was previously no state law on the books making it illegal for cities to craft protections for this, so they were within their rights to make a law addressing a legal vacuum the state did not cover. By comparison, HB2 almost certainly will be found unconstitutional in federal court, for the worker protections it violates (unrelated to the trans thing, which they snuck in), and the invasion of privacy it invites.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:50 PM

398 posts, read 498,698 times
Quote:
You and many are missing or skipping the point that the NC state constitution does NOT allow Charlotte to pass such an ordinance. That is why HB2 was required, as poorly written as it was.

Are you aware that the Charlotte ordinance was not allowed?
If something is not allowed by the constitution, why is a new law required?

The answer is, its not as clear cut as you present. Local governments have "police powers" under the state constitution. There's a lot of wiggle room in that.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
If we lived in a universe where this ever happened, your post would mean something. This IS the world we live in.

I don't think you've thought any of this through. There's a stigma for presenting yourself as trans in society. Your scenario requires a man to both be attracted to women and also be willing to seen as gender-nonconforming, even though they're just regular straight men, and then they also need to be a rapist, which is also a very small percentage. Very few people, if anybody, fit in this venn diagram. They only need to claim it when confronted with it in the shower. It would be an out of control situation.

Sexual assault in bathrooms is almost unheard of. You're in a public place, there's usually people around. You would almost certainly get caught. It just doesn't make sense. Again, I have not said anything about sexual assault. I do not know why it is being brought up in response to my posts.

Charlotte's ordinance was not illegal. There was previously no state law on the books making it illegal for cities to craft protections for this, so they were within their rights to make a law addressing a legal vacuum the state did not cover. By comparison, HB2 almost certainly will be found unconstitutional in federal court, for the worker protections it violates (unrelated to the trans thing, which they snuck in), and the invasion of privacy it invites. Incorrect. The NC State Constitution strictly prohibits cities/towns from creating such ordinances, as these things are in the hands of the state legislature. Charlotte officials were notified of this and chose to proceed forward, hence a flawed HB2. I STRONGLY encourage people to get familiar with your state constitution and learn what is and is not allowed to be done at the city level..
Please see responses above. Thx.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
If something is not allowed by the constitution, why is a new law required?

The answer is, its not as clear cut as you present. Local governments have "police powers" under the state constitution. There's a lot of wiggle room in that.
Charlotte creating it's own illegal ordinace forced the need to create a state one, which then becomes the law of the land....again, per the state constitution.

This is it in a nutshell. There was not an issue using bathrooms prior to what Charlotte tried to illegally do. Transgenders used whatever bathroom they wanted to and no one knew the difference. Then Charlotte decides to go around the constitution and do their own thing, which stupidly included locker rooms and SHOWERS. They we notified they could not do it per the constitution, but did so anyway, creating the mess y'all have now. They should have left a working system alone and everything would have been fine.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
What the ######!!!!!!

Bathroom Re-opens With On Duty Compliance Officer | World Exclusive Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina