Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Charlotte creating it's own illegal ordinace forced the need to create a state one, which then becomes the law of the land....again, per the state constitution.

This is it in a nutshell. There was not an issue using bathrooms prior to what Charlotte tried to illegally do. Transgenders used whatever bathroom they wanted to and no one knew the difference. Then Charlotte decides to go around the constitution and do their own thing, which stupidly included locker rooms and SHOWERS. They we notified they could not do it per the constitution, but did so anyway, creating the mess y'all have now. They should have left a working system alone and everything would have been fine.
While that may well be the case, Jennifer Roberts could tell the General Assembly that she will not enforce any of the provisions of HB-2 within the city limits of Charlotte and the GA members who have exhibited such interest, might want to do "bathroom guard duty" in their own jurisdictions. It appears that the Attorney General of NC, Roy Cooper has little to no interest in enforcing HB-2 as well, so the Mayor of Charlotte (or the city counsel) is unlikely to face any legal consequences. HB-2 could be treated as a "toothless bill" in areas where it is seen as immoral.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,228,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Hahahahahaha!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,228,300 times
Quote:
You are looking at it backwards. The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have made it VERY LIKELY that would happen, as all that the horndog straight males would have to do is claim they identify as female in order to be in the shower with females......as long as they did not do anything else. How do you propose the police could tell if someone is being honest about identifying as a female or is only saying they do? The illegal Charlotte ordinance would have created this unworkable mess, making millions of women feel uncomfortable. ...

Why is it that some people do not seem to care about biological females and their rights?
I'm a biological female who belongs to a swim team at the local Y. Try as I might, I just can't envision some horndog straight male sneaking into the locker room and lurking around to ogle women in the shower. In my list of things to worry about in life, this is right up there with getting hit by a meteorite.

Also, in all the Y's and other gyms I've belonged to, there are private showers and changing stalls. There is no need to be naked in front of other people if you don't want to be.

Do you actually know any of these millions of uncomfortable women? Or are you just trying to be gallant on our behalf?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
While that may well be the case, Jennifer Roberts could tell the General Assembly that she will not enforce any of the provisions of HB-2 within the city limits of Charlotte and the GA members who have exhibited such interest, might want to do "bathroom guard duty" in their own jurisdictions. It appears that the Attorney General of NC, Roy Cooper has little to no interest in enforcing HB-2 as well, so the Mayor of Charlotte (or the city counsel) is unlikely to face any legal consequences. HB-2 could be treated as a "toothless bill" in areas where it is seen as immoral.
I am sure that it will be re-written down the line, as it should be, but hopefully with "everyone's" best interest in mind. Charlotte should have left things as they were or worked toward a feasible statewide solution or worked to change the state constitution. All three would have been acceptable. Why they had to go the way they did is beyond comprehension. They started a fire that turned into a political inferno.

Maybe someday people will learn to stop being so politically divided and just calmly and politely work together for the good of all. There has to be a breaking point soon. It's downright ridiculous and both sides are to blame.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I'm a biological female who belongs to a swim team at the local Y. Try as I might, I just can't envision some horndog straight male sneaking into the locker room and lurking around to ogle women in the shower. In my list of things to worry about in life, this is right up there with getting hit by a meteorite.

Also, in all the Y's and other gyms I've belonged to, there are private showers and changing stalls. There is no need to be naked in front of other people if you don't want to be.

Do you actually know any of these millions of uncomfortable women? Or are you just trying to be gallant on our behalf?
Well first, they would not have to sneak into the locker room and shower under the Charlotte ordinance. They could proudly walk on it and simply lie if questioned. There would be no way to police it. It would be a madhouse. Of course they cannot stand there and stare, take pictures or touch, but they could shower right along.

I am happy things have been fine for you. As you can imagine, this situation in NC is making national headlines and as such, there have been many articles done on the subject. The saddest thing to see was how many women who had been sexually assaulted at some point in their lives and have had to work hard to get back to the point where they can even undress in front of other women in a locker room and use the shower. Just the thought of the type of thing Charlotte was trying to do brought back all kinds of awful memories for them and would set them back if they had to deal with it. And it had nothing to do with a Transgender assaulting anyone, before anyone goes there.

The point is, there is more than one side to be thoughtful of. When making these rules, we really need to truly be all inclusive to how everyone feels and what they may have gone through or are going through. I do not think it is too much to ask that we try to do the right thing for ALL people, rather than just one segment of people.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Well first, they would not have to sneak into the locker room and shower under the Charlotte ordinance. They could proudly walk on it and simply lie if questioned. There would be no way to police it. It would be a madhouse. Of course they cannot stand there and stare, take pictures or touch, but they could shower right along.

I am happy things have been fine for you. As you can imagine, this situation in NC is making national headlines and as such, there have been many articles done on the subject. The saddest thing to see was how many women who had been sexually assaulted at some point in their lives and have had to work hard to get back to the point where they can even undress in front of other women in a locker room and use the shower. Just the thought of the type of thing Charlotte was trying to do brought back all kinds of awful memories for them and would set them back if they had to deal with it. And it had nothing to do with a Transgender assaulting anyone, before anyone goes there.

The point is, there is more than one side to be thoughtful of. When making these rules, we really need to truly be all inclusive to how everyone feels and what they may have gone through or are going through. I do not think it is too much to ask that we try to do the right thing for ALL people, rather than just one segment of people.
Just how many men do you think will be running into the Women's bathroom and showers? In states and municipalities where laws like Charlotte's are in effect, have there been thousands of women confronting naked men trying to pee and shower with them? Or is all of this mainly occurring in your vivid imagination?

Old 04-17-2016, 09:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Just how many men do you think will be running into the Women's bathroom and showers? In states and municipalities where laws like Charlotte's are in effect, have there been thousands of women confronting naked men trying to pee and shower with them? Or is all of this mainly occurring in your vivid imagination?
Can't rep you again Emissary. A real transgender woman doesn't do anything to expose male plumbing in a bathroom. If that individual went into a public shower a private stall would be used, if possible, & it's unlikely that the individual would go into a gang shower with the male plumbing exposed. A pair of drawers or a bathing suit bottom would work.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Can't rep you again Emissary. A real transgender woman doesn't do anything to expose male plumbing in a bathroom. If that individual went into a public shower a private stall would be used, if possible, & it's unlikely that the individual would go into a gang shower with the male plumbing exposed. A pair of drawers or a bathing suit bottom would work.
sb - Same thing happened when I tried to rep you! As a member of the weaker-brained sex, I can't imagine running around buck naked trying to shower with the cheerleaders (assuming I was age-appropriate ). Today's women are no shrinking violets and would be chanting insults a-mile-a-minute in such a situation. "Look everybody ..."Tiny Tim" is back!" "Are you cold Timmy?"

How come we haven't heard anything happening in states with laws modeled after Charlotte's? Do the critics think we men are as "dumb" as they imagine or that men in Charlotte have much less self-control than men in places like California where such laws are in effect? Perhaps some of the supporters of HB-2 (now referred to as Hate Bill 2) really do think that southern men have much less self-control than northern men!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:20 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
Top location of "HB2" searches via google. HB2, the bill that threw North Carolina into Recession.

Volume Index:

United States: 100
Brazil: 76
Canada: 53
United Kingdom: 48
Germany: 31

Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
sb - Same thing happened when I tried to rep you! As a member of the weaker-brained sex, I can't imagine running around buck naked trying to shower with the cheerleaders (assuming I was age-appropriate ). Today's women are no shrinking violets and would be chanting insults a-mile-a-minute in such a situation. "Look everybody ..."Tiny Tim" is back!" "Are you cold Timmy?"

How come we haven't heard anything happening in states with laws modeled after Charlotte's? Do the critics think we men are as "dumb" as they imagine or that men in Charlotte have much less self-control than men in places like California where such laws are in effect? Perhaps some of the supporters of HB-2 (now referred to as Hate Bill 2) really do think that southern men have much less self-control than northern men!
Emissary, The more I think about it, the more I think that Tim Moore let the loons have their way so that they MIGHT learn a lesson. He's focused on jobs. When the right-wing loon introduced the "I don't want to marry you, but I still want my paycheck " bill. WSOC showed a clip of him picking up books & notebooks, shaking his head, muttering "I thought we were trying to get jobs". When Charlotte passed their bill, WSOC reported that they contacted him & he said that they would deal with it in session. Each day afterwards they reported that he was getting calls from other legislators. Finally he called the session. He was, obviously, not anxious to do this. I think that he'll just let this stew for a while.

He's a very good lawyer. I suspect that he knows as well as Roy Cooper does that HB2 will go down in flames in the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina