Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
NY is a state filled with smaller cities and towns. I often wonder why people in NYC don't explore their own state a little more.
property taxes
cheaper RE
still want an urban experience with the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM

68 posts, read 77,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
NY is a state filled with smaller cities and towns. I often wonder why people in NYC don't explore their own state a little more.
I have explored it and unfortunately it doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 PM

224 posts, read 285,739 times
It's hard to find a job in NC as much as people say it's "growing". I got a job after about 3 months of searching when I moved from NY with my husband. After 2.5 years in NC, we moved back to Long Island, NY recently and I found a job in 2 weeks which paid about 20k more than my job in NC. We live well.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:34 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I just got back from several weeks in NYC. Mostly Queens and Manhattan, but we spent some time in Williamsburg.

IMHO it is difficult to believe Brooklyn and NC are in the same universe. No judgement as to which is better, but so different. I recommend an extended visit before deciding.

You will be amazed how quiet 99% of NC is when compared to Brooklyn. Good luck.
It's not just NC. There's a locked thread on the Philadelphia board titled white trash. It reads like so many threads that are posted concerning NC, by the disenchanted.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG718 View Post
That's what I am looking for peace and quiet! The metro area has become too much and so over crowded. People are everywhere and there is absolutely no personal space even when standing on a line in a regular store, you literally have someone standing over you. Also the never ending attitudes of people, I can't.
Just FYI, Wake county is becoming one of the more crowded/congested areas of NC. The Raleigh/Cary metro area was literally the #1 fastest-growing metro from 2000-2010 (tied with Vegas). It might be no NYC, but exponential population growth is making everything much more crowded (roads not able to accommodate the extra traffic, schools constantly overcrowded, property taxes growing up to try to keep pace with both of those, etc). It's definitely suburbia, but growing more and more every passing year. It might not be "peace and quiet" much longer. You might look into a smaller area than the Triangle area that's not growing so fast.

Also, check the job market in your field wherever you scout out.

Your question really should be on the Raleigh-Durham Chapel Hill board if that is the area you are settled on. There is a sticky thread at the top with pretty much any question you could come up with.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Apparently we can't: drive, read, operate schools, build roads, make pizza, provide decent bagels, not be rednecks, not suck. This is by no means an exhaustive list of the complaints posted here on CD over the years.
I thought you guys had come a long way with pizza. Are paventis and Tony’s still up by UNCC?

For the record some people that move away after relocating were victims of circumstance, and would’ve stayed if the chips fell differently

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I agree with Francois. Other than perhaps Charlotte, I would place Apex, Raleigh, and Cary near the very bottom in the state for what I would call a slower pace of life (and I'm talking NC standards, not NYC area standards). If you're looking for less of a culture shock than what you'd find in some of the much slower paced areas of the state and are looking for a locale with lots of people who are coming from where you're from, those may not be bad choices. If you're looking at wanting to make a more radical change, and be in a place with a much slower pace, there are much better choices out there, but focus on the job first.

Note: It dawned on me that the OPs post is several months old, but since this thread was rejuvenated yesterday, I'm still commenting for others with similar questions.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 813 times
I agree with other posts. Definitely visit for a couple of weeks and venture to different areas before making the decision to move. My husband and I moved here from Philadelphia a year ago and can't wait to move back the north east. Don't get us wrong NC and the Triangle area is really nice and the weather is great, but it very much lacks the culture that we're used to. Plus the taxes are lower in PA and the job market is a lot larger since Philadelphia is in the Tristate location (NJ & DE).

Old 12-06-2017, 07:37 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG718 View Post
That's what I am looking for peace and quiet!
When our daughter comes home to visit, she loves to sit on the porch or deck and listen to . . . . silence.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:47 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjacks View Post
I agree with other posts. Definitely visit for a couple of weeks and venture to different areas before making the decision to move. My husband and I moved here from Philadelphia a year ago and can't wait to move back the north east. Don't get us wrong NC and the Triangle area is really nice and the weather is great, but it very much lacks the culture that we're used to. Plus the taxes are lower in PA and the job market is a lot larger since Philadelphia is in the Tristate location (NJ & DE).
It doesn't lack culture, it's simply different but home is home. The only thing is after a year or so back home you'll remember why you wanted to leave in the first place but you can never go wrong returning to the familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina