Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times

Advertisements

How rapidly is Charlotte actually growing, and what are the concerns?
You may have heard this oft-quoted stat: “44 people a day move to Charlotte.”

It’s the number that’s trotted out to explain why the city is building so many apartments, why rent and home prices seem to be shooting to the stratosphere and why traffic seems to worsen every year.

But on Monday, Charlotte’s planning director told City Council that number isn’t quite right. In fact, it’s significantly higher.

“I asked staff to take a look at that for me,” said Taiwo Jaiyeoba, during the monthly zoning meeting. “It’s actually closer to 60 residents, compared to 44 a couple years ago.”
Jaiyeoba didn’t detail his methodology. The latest population estimate from the U.S. Census Bureau for Charlotte only goes up to 2016, but the county estimates for 2017 roughly square with Jaiyeoba’s figure. Mecklenburg County’s population increased by 19,600 residents, hitting almost 1.08 million. That’s an average of about 54 new residents a day.

https://www.charlottefive.com/growing-charlotte/

Old 05-01-2018, 01:21 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
A few more details on the planned BRT lines in Raleigh and Cary.

Wake County planning bus rapid transit system from downtown Raleigh | News & Observer

Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Really nice video the City of Raleigh posted of the before and after of the Union station/Dillon development.

https://youtu.be/VHOWylkCvjc

Old 05-01-2018, 09:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Really nice video the City of Raleigh posted of the before and after of the Union station/Dillon development.

I was just getting ready to post this video. Really cool views of downtown. Awesome video!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:18 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post

Nice, I really think Raleigh is finally on the cusp of becoming an "urban" city with apartment towers, etc...much like what happened in Austin. Calm down Atowwn.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

Whole Foods will open its uptown Charlotte grocery store in June.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 AM

City of Charlotte > Charlotte Area Transit System > Transit Planning > Envision My Ride > Envision My Ride

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg region is rapidly growing and changing. Through the years our bus service has extended operating hours, implemented more neighborhood service, and improved customer amenities. CATS recognizes that we need to continue to improve your bus system to better serve you, our customer, and we enlist you to help us.

Envision My Ride is a planning initiative to redesign the current bus system. Through this initiative, CATS plans to study bus route structure and frequency to determine how to impr​ove the system and better serve the Charlotte region.
CATS is leading extensive public outreach to best understand what is most important to riders. CATS will use this feedback to develop a plan for route and service adjustments.

Key Considerations for Envision My Ride:
  • Cross-town and suburb-to-suburb bus service
  • Connections between different bus routes and between bus and light rail
  • Frequency of service
  • More direct services
CATS serves Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, Gaston, Iredell Counties in NC and York County SC.

Envision My Ride

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-02-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
City of Charlotte > Charlotte Area Transit System > Transit Planning > Envision My Ride > Envision My Ride

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg region is rapidly growing and changing. Through the years our bus service has extended operating hours, implemented more neighborhood service, and improved customer amenities. CATS recognizes that we need to continue to improve your bus system to better serve you, our customer, and we enlist you to help us.

Envision My Ride is a planning initiative to redesign the current bus system. Through this initiative, CATS plans to study bus route structure and frequency to determine how to impr​ove the system and better serve the Charlotte region.
CATS is leading extensive public outreach to best understand what is most important to riders. CATS will use this feedback to develop a plan for route and service adjustments.

Key Considerations for Envision My Ride:
  • Cross-town and suburb-to-suburb bus service
  • Connections between different bus routes and between bus and light rail
  • Frequency of service
  • More direct services

Envision My Ride

Such a vast, vast, vast improvement from funneling most routes uptown. Very inefficient. It’s great how much they already rerouted busses away from uptown and through light rail.

Also looks like the SouthPark mall bus hub is gaining a few more routes. I always liked the SouthPark hub. IMO, once the Silver line is complete, I think for the most part, the vast majority of bus routes should begin and terminate at a light rail station.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Couple skyline pictures I took tonight. Our new 4th tallest should tower above the buildings in the 3rd shot. You can see the edge of the new tower barely between them

Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-36304a2d-53af-4d74-a063-bb2f0a333de1.jpeg  

Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
First National Bank has broke ground in downtown Raleigh.

https://www.wral.com/first-national-...eigh/17527252/

Last edited by LM117; 05-03-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina