Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
As a native...born and bred...I honestly dont see the big deal with North Carolina...It is not "all that".. TRUST ME..when i say this... Actually looking to move to the Southwest ...Nevada/Arizona/Colorado....i've visited several times...just find myself being drawn to the Southwest.
I'm a native as well but you have to remember that many people in the Southwestern states feel the same way you do. They are use to their state and feel it's nothing special either. Some people love the state that they are born in and never move. Some people are attracted to something new and end up moving.

There are only a few states that can offer mountains, flat land and ocean all in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
A big factor why we picked NC because of the location - not too far north, not too far south. I've lived in NY; CA; NV; UT, and OR before NC.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
NC is where the opportunity is for our careers with our employer. It is the corporate headquarters and has the best chance for career growth, training and moving up the ladder. We're a couple 20-somethings that are hungry to move up with our careers and ready for the adventure of something new. We could have probably moved up the career path with a similar company in the same industry, but we're both interested in maintaining company loyalty for the resumes.

I am not in NC full time yet, but I've been down for interviews and moving.. And, so far I am in love with everything I've encountered. I can't wait to get out and explore some more, settle in and really become at home with my new house. We don't know if we'll stay forever, but we will stay for a while. We'll be productive members of society that contribute to local businesses with concerts, shopping, recreation, etc. And, if the opportunity presents itself, volunteer for various organizations. In the past, we've volunteered for river cleanups, relay for life, 4H, handicapped riding programs and animal shelters.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
For me, it's affordable housing, mild winters, good schools and nice people. That, and it's still only a days drive to NYC where my in-laws are.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post

There are only a few states that can offer mountains, flat land and ocean all in one.

New York state is one of those states.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 33,405 times
Default Leave baggage behind

One suggestion to those who move to the great state of NC......Leave your prefessional sports team behind. I hate going to Hurricanes games and the people that move here still cheer for the team where they left. I ask the people cheering for the opposing team how they like visiting NC and they say they live hear???????????????

Old 08-08-2009, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKatie View Post
Looking at all the other Southern states in this forum it is obvious that North Carolina is hands down the most popular Southern state for transplants.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what it is about N.C. that is so attractive.
A few other Southern states have the same criteria that has been stated over and over in the NC forum. i.e mountains AND the coast, cities with cultural oportunities, and small cities close enough in to enjoy some city conviences.

Georgia has both mountains and the coast, South Carolina has a beautiful coast and is very close to the NC mountains, Alabama has a mountainous region along with a beautiful gulf coast, a desirable city (if you haven't visited Birmingham in the last several years you have no idea), and Mobile is 45 minutes from the coast and is beautiful. Tenn has beautiful mountains, a progressive city and is full of music history from country to the blues. I can understand Mississippi as they are still digging out from the hurricane as well as Lousiana. And neither of them have the mountain aspect to their states.

I guess what I'm saying is the Southern states all have a lot to offer and nobody seems to realize that. This is in no way a slam to any of you relocating. Heck, WE relocated because we had no choice, this is where my husbands job took him during the tech bust of the ninties and jobs were hard to find anywhere for his expertise.

So if you are so inclined and are not offended by my asking, why are other southern states not as desirable to you if you are educated in what they offer as well as here.

Honestly, I could be happy in any of them but happiest in my home state, one of which is listed above.
Interested in the Carolinas sparked from several co-workers telling me about the state. Lived in Texas too hot...visited Mississippi too rural...visited Georgia too much traffic...visited Florida too much tourism...visited Virginia too expensive...I know utopia doesnt exist LOL but the next best thing would be nice. Again I'm limited in my southern experiences as most were only two week visits/vacations...when I visited North Carolina it was the next best thing : )

Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 AM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken404 View Post
One suggestion to those who move to the great state of NC......Leave your prefessional sports team behind. I hate going to Hurricanes games and the people that move here still cheer for the team where they left. I ask the people cheering for the opposing team how they like visiting NC and they say they live hear???????????????
That's absolutely ridiculous.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 17,304 times
I love north Florida because it is so rural. We live in the woods and housing and taxes are less expensive. We are in the woods.We are 20 minutes from town. My husband is retired and I have to work at least 4 more years. We love western NC because of the mountains, smell of the air, richness of soil. We like to camp, hike and bike. We agreed we are getting too old to camp and we decided retiring in a 5th wheel isn't going to happen. We go up to WNC 3-4 X/yr and decided to see if we could buy a small place. We found Macon County to have reasonable rates and the folks are very friendly. But I love Fl. sunshine and will stay here in the winter.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:27 PM

293 posts, read 782,284 times
My wife and I currently reside in MA. We hate it here. High home prices, grumpy people and tired of the ice and snow.

We know a number of Northerners who've transplanted to NC and speak highly of it.

We're looking for some land and privacy, nicer weather and a slower pace of life (employment isn't an issue since I run my company online and can live wherever to do that)

We haven't visited yet, but hope too within the next 6 months before we make any moving decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: